XenForo needs a blog with regular updates from Kier & Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes... XenForo Ltd. is currently working on their XenForo forums software :).
I did anticipate you would say that. :)

Xenforo needs to communicate their plans to get further adoption.
Essentially the xenforo customers are the xenforo sales force.
We are all Xenforo sales guys.
I'm the person who people will ask about what's some good software for this situation.
Sure, I still say Xenforo. But ... with pieces missing ... I have to soften my recommendation ... to "some forum admins feel they are missing certain things and there is no timeline or plans to fill the voids".
Xenforo needs to motivate the Sales Force.

It really doesn't make sense that basic things like the Ignore System couldn't have a plan and pseudo timeline for release.
It doesn't make sense that we hear K&M are working on a Plugins area to xenforo.com from Brogan.

Of course you can not :) but you can see the similarities in the strategy of what to announce and what not, when to announce it etc.

That was my point exactly....and for XF to tell me the strategy...would be against the whole point of a strategy lol.

I was just saying because of unique circumstances involved in the two areas of technology the market and thus the competition interacts differently.

It really doesn't make sense that basic things like the Ignore System couldn't have a plan and pseudo timeline for release.
It doesn't make sense that we hear K&M are working on a Plugins area to xenforo.com from Brogan.

There is a timeline for this => 1.1! But "nobody" knows this:D
It's posted in several posts, but nobody's able to reads EVERY SINGLE POST HERE, to know whats going on...and the team don't want to make our life easier:(

The more I think about it ... the more I think Xenforo LTD doesn't have time to make all the addons.

Actually vBulletin itself didn't have the time or resources. Xenforo won't be near as successful as vBulletin if they just do what vB did. Times have changed. vBulletin really is only doing well today because of sheer market share. vB addons are not sustainable, there is relatively little choice, and support is poor.

The way forward is for Xenforo to get out of the addon market. Embrace the developers and create a developer ecosystem where addons won't crash each other. Apple apps store. Xenforo takes a 30% cut of addon sales. They provide the payment mechanisms, support forum and other infrastructure. Xenforo LTD encourages sustainable practices amongst addon makers. Things like ... if one Gallery fails, the major components are easily imported into another gallery.
Xenforo will be most successful if it creates an ecosystem where xenforo customers feel confident that third party plugins are worth paying for because they are stable and supported. Support for addons might be encouraged by Xenforo by paying addon developers a portion of their sales monthly - not lump sum. Developers will still make *WAY* more money because there will much more Sales activity. At the end of the day, people will realize that paying a bit for addons is a good thing as the time and money and hassle you go through with broken or inadequate addons is not worth free addons.

Time for Xenforo to embrace the future.

In my eyes, I see it like this:
XenForo are working towards getting a stable platform with the core functionality necessary for any forum system - first priority.
Any functionality that is needed now that isn't available now can be created by add-ons now. If XenForo decide that the functionality is useful to be in the core, they can add it in due course. Yes, this means that the developer efforts will be wasted in the eyes of some - but will it, really? The developer of the add-on will have provided functionality to the people who needed it for that time duration.

Add-ons fill the gaps now, XF fills the gaps later.

Any functionality that is needed now that isn't available now can be created by add-ons now.
This is true .. but suffers a fatal flaw.
People, through experience, don't trust addon makers.
Addon makers make stuff for free, can't really support it, and when it breaks .... people are stuck. Only then do you realize you got what you paid for .. nothing.
Xenforo needs to change that.

Addon makers make stuff for free, can't really support it, and when it breaks .... people are stuck. Only then do you realize you got what you paid for .. nothing.
+1. I do not plant to install ANY add-on until I have a better idea of what xF is planning to do with those add-ons etc. The support is key for me.

Unfortunately there isn't any easy way to do this. Add-on developers need to build their own reputation as trusted or whatever.

XF can't afford to build every add-on and guarantee support of it. They are doing their best by providing help in the development area.

In my eyes, I see it like this:
XenForo are working towards getting a stable platform with the core functionality necessary for any forum system - first priority.
Any functionality that is needed now that isn't available now can be created by add-ons now. If XenForo decide that the functionality is useful to be in the core, they can add it in due course. Yes, this means that the developer efforts will be wasted in the eyes of some - but will it, really? The developer of the add-on will have provided functionality to the people who needed it for that time duration.

Add-ons fill the gaps now, XF fills the gaps later.
I don't agree.

Non of the really necessary add-ons is IMHO available (and if it available, it's useless for me, because the quality is horrible OR it doesn't work how i need it):p
Where's the gallery? Where's the CMS? .....

ATM it isn't really possible to create NOW the necessary add-ons...
1. Developers need some time to get familar with xf
2. If they decide to use the framework, they are limited by it (that's why i hate me for the decision to use the framework and the node system for my article system, gallery & linklist...) All 3 add-ons won't work how i need them without hacking around => ugly => so i don't want to do it.

MVC architecture offers a new, more versatile and better method for plugin operations.

You're right. My point is that have too addons is bad (i intend addons for little/basic/very important features). Now a user have discovered an incompatibility between the Welcome Blog of Floris and The Limited Guest viewing. This a month ago, but the incompatibility seems not resolved. Okay, this features doesn't need to be added to the core, but i think my example would be clear to all. More mods= more possible problems.

My only hope is now for the commercial addons, buy Db-Tech, Forum Coding, Vb Credits, Vb Cover etc...Please hurry on your conversion, professional coders! We need commercial addons! We want a bit of security, quality and product updates!

My only hope is now for the commercial addons, buy Db-Tech, Forum Coding, Vb Credits, Vb Cover etc...Please hurry on your conversion, professional coders! We need commercial addons! We want a bit of security, quality and product updates!
And you really think that ALL commercial addons are professional?:D

And you really think that ALL commercial addons are professional?:D

The name mentioned yes! They are all serious coders imho. Sincerly i prefer a commercial addon than a "freemium addon", that you are in some cases obliged to donate to have a bit of support...

With a commercial addon you have a little more guarantuee of support and updates (if the developer make a dedicated site for updates and support).

XenForo represents the best software available to use as a platform for add-on development. That has been a core goal from day one. If people don't trust add-on developers, or are unwilling to use third party add-ons, they miss a large part of the point of XenForo, and exclude themselves from a wealth of features and functionality to which they will otherwise have no access.

We have built the software in such a way as to minimise the scope for poor quality add-ons - that's not to say that there won't be some, but it's a lot easier to add-on to XenForo in a safe, secure and future-compatible way than it is to do so with many of our competitors. If an add-on is released now and it works, it's not of vital importance that it is actively supported, because we don't anticipate significant backwards compatibility breaks happening in XenForo for the foreseeable future. This is an artifact of our system design.

The name mentioned yes! They are all serious coders imho. Sincerly i prefer a commercial addon than a "freemium addon", that you are in some cases obliged to donate to have a bit of support...

With a commercial addon you have a little more guarantuee of support and updates (if the developer make a dedicated site for updates and support).
Just because something is premium doesn't mean its better. I can add professional or business to my style but that doesn't make them professional or for a business.

I think this can be put quite simply:
  1. XenForo v1.0 is excellent software
  2. We would all love to know how XenForo is going to get even better in future releases
  3. The XenForo team is small and fighting in a David v Goliath situation
  4. We would still all love to know how XenForo is going to get even better in future releases
  5. Most of us however understand why there is a lack of silence - focus has to be elsewhere
I fully expect things to get better in the future, and I hope that the "quality of contributions" from some people in this thread improve (or simply disappear) - can't we keep it professional and civilised?!

XenForo represents the best software available to use as a platform for add-on development. That has been a core goal from day one. If people don't trust add-on developers, or are unwilling to use third party add-ons, they miss a large part of the point of XenForo, and exclude themselves from a wealth of features and functionality to which they will otherwise have no access.

We have built the software in such a way as to minimise the scope for poor quality add-ons - that's not to say that there won't be some, but it's a lot easier to add-on to XenForo in a safe, secure and future-compatible way than it is to do so with many of our competitors. If an add-on is released now and it works, it's not of vital importance that it is actively supported, because we don't anticipate significant backwards compatibility breaks happening in XenForo for the foreseeable future. This is an artifact of our system design.

And WHO cares???Not john doe and i also not ATM...
It can be the worlds best system, but if people
  • don't know how to use it because of lacking documentation and need to experiment around for months to see that it can't work and they have to wait for 1.1 which can be months away, OR
  • don't want to code add-ons which COULD!!!(only kier,mike and some insiders knows...) be in the core soon (where's the thread prefixe add-on for example? i'm sure if coders would know what it will get it into the core in at least 1 year, somebody would code it, but not, if it's 1-2months away! But as said already, only the insiders know it)
and they don't use it, it's useless.
That's why IMHO IPB3 is ATM the best platform for add-on developers => they have there tutorials, they have already there great mature core, with many usable components...
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, they have there blog where they share the new features, and not implement them "hidden" like the rss feed here (and which is the reason, why i stopped coding big customer add-ons)

My 0.02$:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom