XenForo.com Add-Ons / Resources System

I'm not sure exactly how it will be implemented.

I guess the specifics will be thrashed out as it gets closer to being implemented.

Ah cheers Mike, it was on old version I saw the option to put a price on an add-on, so I assumed it would be carried through.

Personally I think it should include the ability to purchase mods in the resource manager, a cut should be taken from sales but it'd have to be reasonable, maybe 5%. Although if there was the ability to purchase mods it would be expected from atleast a few people that since these are paid mods available on the Xenforo site that they have a certain level of quality and I'm not sure how KAM can ensure that.

Will the addon system have functionality to list open bug reports and open functionality requests? It would be soooo much easier if bugs and suggestions are kept separate from the rest of the addon discussion. These tend to get buried.

It would be nice to say post if there is a pricing option available. Especially for mods that have a "lite" free version and a "premium" paid option. Just will be a nice gesture to developers who are looking to make some money. This is a give and take relationship with XenForo. By creating quality resources for potential customers, XenForo becomes a more attractive product.

There are two issues being discussed.
(1) building a structure to house addons.
(2) making the structure better suited for developers (paypal, etc.).

I'm not sure xenforo has at all said anything that this upcoming add-on thing will have much of (2).
Of course, I think that is where the big opportunity is.

Will the addon system have functionality to list open bug reports and open functionality requests? It would be soooo much easier if bugs and suggestions are kept separate from the rest of the addon discussion. These tend to get buried.
Not out of the gate. It will start with a single thread association.

We actually mulled over this for a while, but allowing many separate threads creates a number of challenges, some technical but many others relating to usability and expectations. The most popular add-ons may need a number of threads, but statistically, most don't (or haven't).

One things for sure. With how well structured it is to build add-ons, making it easier to work out how to do things from other peoples addons. This new resource area is gonna be rockin!

Not out of the gate. It will start with a single thread association.

We actually mulled over this for a while, but allowing many separate threads creates a number of challenges, some technical but many others relating to usability and expectations. The most popular add-ons may need a number of threads, but statistically, most don't (or haven't).

On this very specific topic: having more than one thread for supporting addons ...
What specifically were the number of challenges (technical, usability, expectations) ?

Please weigh these challenges against the problems that exist with the status quo.

Also ... don't popular addons (ie. developers making your users happy) deserve the added support ?

At xenforo.com your users can create their own threads about their support issue. The issues related to Addons are often more complex than the issues brought up in Xenforo General Support .. yet the they all have to be done in one thread ?

A simple answer might be: Addons are allowed their own subforums - but these don't show up in the What's New.
A creative idea is .... [I will submit to Mike personally later].

Top Bottom