XenForo.com Add-Ons / Resources System

Digital Doctor

I think the success of the iphone, ipod touch, ipad is in part due to the APPS store. I can see cool devices such as the Blackberry Pad (blackpad) have trouble competing because they won't be able to compete against all of the apps in the Apple store. The ipad has a huge developer base, the blackpad is unlikely to gain such a following (although the blackpad users (businesses) might pay more for apps). Would xenforo benefit from an "Apps" store ? Would developers like it ? What are the pluses and minuses ?

All Thoughts welcomed ! :)

What do you like about that ? How does it compare with vB's old way of vBorg's modification lists ?
I didn't say I want a thing exactly like that. My points was that the way add-ons are posted here on the forums is not very organized. vB.org is a great example of how the add-ons should be organized.

I didn't say I want a thing exactly like that. My points was that the way add-ons are posted here on the forums is not very organized. vB.org is a great example of how the add-ons should be organized.
I think eventually additional forums will created here. I would have to think focus is on track to a stable version and other things looming in the background.

This is the best idea i have heard in awhile on this website. This would give us authors the ability to sell our products like apple? This is brilliant!

I think eventually additional forums will created here. I would have to think focus is on track to a stable version and other things looming in the background.

In my opinion I think they will figure out a better way of handling mods like Steve said..

I'm thinking that Kier, Mike and Ashley were wanting this site to be a big success from the start, but they were probably caught a little off guard with the quickness that add ons and mods were/are being created.

This is a great thing for this community, but who would have imagine that in a month of being released we already have a shoutbox, WP integration going on, someone is working on Spinix already and a host of other really great mods?! ALL within a month. :)

As far as this thread goes.. I would love to see a One Click plugin site like WP. It's great to test and try new things and if and when they don't work out, or you find them not needed, it's easy to click and uninstall. This type of system in the forums community would be groundbreaking that is for sure!

I also don't mind the idea of an App store for xF but only if the apps were 'graded' or reviewed before being listed to prevent 'trash code' from being sold and to protect both the good developers and the customers of xF. Otherwise it's nothing more than a site we can buy mods from like any other site out there...

Jamie

I think this would be an amazing idea.
Having the ability to go right into the Admincp, clicking on a tab that pulls up a nice view of all approved modifications would be great!
As others said, having the ability to 1 click install/uninstall would be ground breaking.

I think this would be an amazing idea.
Having the ability to go right into the Admincp, clicking on a tab that pulls up a nice view of all approved modifications would be great!
As others said, having the ability to 1 click install/uninstall would be ground breaking.

nothing ground breaking ... forums are stagnating

adding 1000+ games should work the same ... 1 click. :)

I think the success of the iphone, ipod touch, ipad is in part due to the APPS store. I can see cool devices such as the Blackberry Pad (blackpad) have trouble competing because they won't be able to compete against all of the apps in the Apple store. The ipad has a huge developer base, the blackpad is unlikely to gain such a following (although the blackpad users (businesses) might pay more for apps). Would xenforo benefit from an "Apps" store ? Would developers like it ? What are the pluses and minuses ?

I would certainly make some mods and sell them at 0.99c while keeping 70% for myself and giving XF 30% of the revenue :)

Great idea, but for this i think it's better to wait at least one year. When we see the addon zone with all the most requested mods for FREE, it's time to update it to an "mod store", and if a developer want to earn money from their mod, it's obliged to do BETTER to the free mods already created. I hope to not see the "IPB model" with very basics mod *paid*.

But the idea IMHO is great. Yes, a developer can create it's website to promote premium mods/styles, but this sites never has the visibility of Xenforo community. In addition, we can have "more control" on the developer activity, we can see if offer support, if update their work etc.

I keep coming back to this idea that an apps store for xenforo would be huge.
I think it could be a vBulletin killer over time as it will attract developers.

Any others LIKE this idea ?
Mike / Kier ?
Any other opinions ?

In the beta & early stage of XenForo, I don't think a detailed modification publishing "firewall system" is necessary. It would scare & intimidate a lot of add-on developers off. Most of the developers’ mod threads are well-written and contains all the necessary information. One of the things that draw people to XenForo is a friendly and not too strict environment where common sense and decency are base element. However, the more the add-ons grow the need to categorize will surface.

I don't see the necessity of XF having a plugin depot like Wordpress. Wordpress is an open-source software, it comes natural when it is, there will open source plugins serving for that purpose. XF is a commercial product and the mods are better off accessible for members only. But it would be nice if plugins could be automatized, single click installation service even an automatic upgrade that would really awesome :)

i must say: i really love the concept... Obviously, it needs to be adapted to a forum/community type of product. But, i really love the idea of being able to browse styles, plugins, etc, in a new, easy and simple way...

Top Bottom