XenForo Beta6, very disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant we go back to the "adding features" arguement? would be much more useful than features that maybe one or two people would use.

Hell, why not have a poll with a list of options and everyone can argue out what new "feature" to add there! One small one per release, or 3 releases for a big one :)
I love the way, how it's made on mybb.

Just a simple list with the title(which links to the real description), a small description and the votes.
http://ideas.mybb.com/

what about showing all threads from suggestions in so a list with the likes from the 1. post?
that would be very easy to code;)

edit: also m&k could mark some of them as "in development" so the 3rd party developers could know, that they don't need to start coding it;)

I have to say, that's a truly terrible idea. On every board I have ever run there are cliques that form, and tend to wage war against each other. If it were possible for Person A to get Person B banned by convincing their friends to put them on their ignore list, the community would rapidly degenerate into an extremely unpleasant survival of the most influential game.
Plus off course, users could go around it by creating new accounts to get someone else banned.

I just don't see this as being something that is really needed in the software. Not to be rude or anything but I think it is pointless to put something like this in when you could just create a team of staff members to do this without an extra feature. I also think that very few admins would even use something like this but that is my opinion. It could be better suited as an add-on for that reason.

The core implementation is radically different, if you give that staff powers, then they can pretty much 1-click ban anyone, because they are members of the group with banning powers. By the way, you have to give them admin powers in XenForo (currently) to do that because there is no modcp or banning privileges for mods, other than the spam cleaner (which also have the issues of giving escalated privileges).

This is more of a voting, peer-moderation system kind of thing. And it is a new concept that has not be implemented anywhere as far as I know. You might find that useless but then again, some people found infractions pretty useless in the past, inline moderation an overkill, and reputation a nice-to-have, and now they seem to be pervasive in the software today. You are not giving them banning powers, you are giving them a vote on the banning process. Different things.

I do not think it is pointless to introduce new features and new concepts in the software, and I think a lot of admins would use that. I do think that there might be features with higher priority than this, but discussing new things has a lot of value, they might make their way as a core feature or as an add-on eventually anyway.

The core implementation is radically different, if you give that staff powers, then they can pretty much 1-click ban anyone, because they are members of the group with banning powers. By the way, you have to give them admin powers in XenForo (currently) to do that because there is no modcp or banning privileges for mods, other than the spam cleaner (which also have the issues of giving escalated privileges).

I understand what you're saying. You know you can edit what options are available with each permission that is given under the "Development" tab with debug on. I love being able to do that. It is what I have done to give out very limited privileges.

This is more of a voting, peer-moderation system kind of thing. And it is a new concept that has not be implemented anywhere as far as I know. You might find that useless but then again, some people found infractions pretty useless in the past, inline moderation an overkill, and reputation a nice-to-have, and now they seem to be pervasive in the software today. You are not giving them banning powers, you are giving them a vote on the banning process. Different things.

I do not think it is pointless to introduce new features and new concepts in the software, and I think a lot of admins would use that. I do think that there might be features with higher priority than this, but discussing new things has a lot of value, they might make their way as a core feature or as an add-on eventually anyway.

Yes, I know some of those things were useless but they probably sounded really good when they were implementing these type of features. I never said it was pointless to introduce new features but I did say I thought that this feature would be pointless and that it would seem better suited as an add-on. I have no problem discussing new features because I think its a good way for the developers to know what the community would like to see. I am just giving an opinion on the feature that is all.

I have to say, that's a truly terrible idea. On every board I have ever run there are cliques that form, and tend to wage war against each other. If it were possible for Person A to get Person B banned by convincing their friends to put them on their ignore list, the community would rapidly degenerate into an extremely unpleasant survival of the most influential game.

Truely terrible? Hmm...

I don't see this happening to a point where everyone is convincing everyone else to convince others to start putting the people they were convicing to also convince others that they should stop convincing, but rather adding people to their ignore list. :p

Ok, I'll go back to my, give the admin a statistic of who has been added to ignore lists and how often. Let the admin prevail!:)

xenDach

What is even worse are administrators who know this is happening and look the other way and watch their own forums disintegrate while the best posters leave the community due to inept forum management, that always happens too and is part and parcel to enabling the above scenario you describe.

This is commonly done with the vB reputation system which has been used to deny live links within posts and signature slots when vanity seizes the minds of resident troll members and they use the reputation system to run members down who they can't win a debate against.

I think it would be good if a signature image uploader was added soon rather than being forced to link from elsewhere, other than that I think Beta 6 and its features are fine.

The only problem I see is how youre meant to "like" something to increase its chances of it being implemented within the suggestions forum, theres a lot of suggestions being posted in there and I know a lot of people wont "like" something even if they do and that could be an important feature suggestion ending up lost hence the signature links on here linking to peoples suggestions, I think it would be best if theyre all took into consideration regardless of any "like" amount, it doesnt have to be popular based off the amount of likes to be needed by the majority.

We almost all will want a signature uploader for our members, who really wants to send them elsewhere and take even more time just to add an image in their signature, my own thread on this in the suggestions forum only had a couple of likes, doesnt mean people wont need it. Just as an example.

The only problem I see is how youre meant to "like" something to increase its chances of it being implemented within the suggestions forum
Just as you said, 'Liking' something in the suggestions forum is only a quick way to show your support for a feature. However, there is no guarantee that the most-liked feature will ever be implemented, any more than the least-liked feature will not be implemented.

Well thats good to know, it seems the smaller features such as the signature uploader has been missed and forgotten about when suggested, not by the staff but in general. Can we expect to see that within one of the coming betas if you can say?

Well thats good to know, it seems the smaller features such as the signature uploader has been missed and forgotten about when suggested, not by the staff but in general. Can we expect to see that within one of the coming betas if you can say?
Speaking for me personally, I hate signature graphics, so an uploader to make it easier for someone to clog up my view of post content with repeated signature images is not near the top of my priority list. Mike may feel differently.

All that said, it would be a relatively simple add-on for someone to put together if they considered that there is sufficient demand.

Not sure how I feel about leaving off a function to in a sense to discretely discourage users from using images on their signature. XenForo does have a "Show signatures with messages" options for a reason(if you're annoyed by them). I for one support an image up-loader for a signature, give us admins control to limit kb/size on a signature and I'd be happy.

I haven't the time to read all 9 pages, but after reading the first post, I have to say I'm a little offended by your comments. I don't want to flame one another, but it's dis-hearting to hear comments like that one. Mike and Kier added what a majority of people asked for, not what YOU asked for.

I for one am happy with the beta 6 release and it's features. I'm a firm believer in not having bloat-ware, but I'm also a believer in having a out-standing piece of software, and you can't have that without certain features.

I'm hoping that Mike and Kier will add custom profile fields and multiple polls per post. After that, I think it would be ready for RC stage.

In my experience, Beta is not feature locked, RC stages are.

I for one want to say good job xF team. Keep up the great work. Don't listen to trolls...

As kier says, you got to have features that build communities and content. I don't think it could be said any better.

i'm very happy with beta 6. Of all the features introduced, i love the fact that the team has created the Q&A CAPTCHA function and added a lightbox. Thanks guys! keep up the good work!

I'm hoping that Mike and Kier will add custom profile fields and multiple polls per post. After that, I think it would be ready for RC stage.

don't forget prefixes...
biggrin.png

[ot]
I love the way, how it's made on mybb.

Just a simple list with the title(which links to the real description), a small description and the votes.
http://ideas.mybb.com/

what about showing all threads from suggestions in so a list with the likes from the 1. post?
that would be very easy to code;)
anybody wants so so a add-on?
I thought this would be a great idea for my add-ons too ( to collect the feature requests,etc...^^)
[/ot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom