XenForo Beta6, very disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not disappointed with beta 6, but I find it annoying that the inline editor for 'quick edit' isn't really inline, but an overlay. This prohibits it from resizing, which is very unfriendly to those with bad eye sight who desire to resize when using a bigger font.

It's also missing [upload] button, so quickly editing it to add a file you forgot is not possible. But quick reply have it for example.

Not sure what the case for doing this actually is - you can bypass a Twitter block by simply logging out, which makes it seem completely and utterly pointless to me, unless the feature exists solely for the benefit of uneducated users who don't understand how useless it really is.
Not if the user is set to protected.

You were following a user, lets say bbsmiley (first twitter name which came into my head), then that user has an argument with a friend of yours so that user blocks you (sounds farfetched, hypothetical scenario, of course), you cant log out and view that users tweets because they're protected as well.

Not if the user is set to protected.

You were following a user, lets say bbsmiley (first twitter name which came into my head), then that user has an argument with a friend of yours so that user blocks you (sounds farfetched, hypothetical scenario, of course), you cant log out and view that users tweets because they're protected as well.
We already support a 'protected' mode through our privacy settings.

The only thing maybe missing is a "Moderate those who want to follow you" in the privacy settings and a "Remove from the Follow List" function from the followers list. This is, however, very nitty gritty stuff and there are many more things more important. ;) I could actually care less if these functions ever come or not. I just wanted to say, I can understand what dieketzer meant.

xenDach

It would purely be cosmetic, as confirmed by xenDach: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-beta6-very-disappointed.10385/page-6#post-142840

Unless you're suggesting that actual content should be blocked, including threads and posts?
it means my content wouldnt show in their news feed, thats probably all I'd want it to affect, i'm confident an ignore list feature will come later, and then be integrated into the block.

Block this user from:
[x] Following (what I'm asking now)
[x] Seeing your content (comes with "ignore list")
[x] Starting a personal conversation with you (comes with "ignore list")

as an example.

edit, it should also work both ways, for example if you block "Mikey" from following you, then you should also be disallowed from following "Mikey", as we have to assume that people would abuse that by blocking people but then following them. Make it two sided, something twitter doesnt do.

it means my content wouldnt show in their news feed, thats probably all I'd want it to affect, i'm confident an ignore list feature will come later, and then be integrated into the block.

Block this user from:
[x] Following (what I'm asking now)
[x] Starting a personal conversation with you (comes with "ignore list")

as an example.

edit, it should also work both ways, for example if you block "Mikey" from following you, then you should also be disallowed from following "Mikey", as we have to assume that people would abuse that by blocking people but then following them. Make it two sided, something twitter doesnt do.

What good does removing content from ones news feed When any average user can use the search feature to stalk your posts? Does that make you feel uncomfortable letting users search that way? I'm not trying to come off as an ass by any means

Block this user from:
That's the opposite of how an ignore feature works.

If you allow members to block content then take the following scenario:

A blocks B
B blocks C
C blocks A & B
D blocks A, & E
E blocks no-one and has no idea that the other members have blocked anyone

A thread with all 5 posters in would make very little sense as significant portions of the conversation will be omitted from each member, except E.

Try reading this thread, removing mine, Kier's and xenDach's posts (including quoted content) for example, on the assumption that we have all blocked you.

On the subject of xenForo beta 6 being disappointing....

I think it's important to keep in mind Kier/Mike are a two man team (not to discount Ashley of course, but speaking form a development standpoint.) They have to do everything from design, bug fixing, testing, customer support, the random administrative things, as well as the *ahem* legal issues that come up. I'm sure this doesn't leave as much time as they'd like for adding new things to xenForo.

I personally feel so far the development is going at a nice speed. Each beta release, we're getting a few new well thought-out useful features. We've all seen what happens when a small army of developers simply starts grinding out code and features in effort to add as much crap to software to sell new licenses...you end up having to upgrade your bug tracker to support a bunch of features which, bugs aside, were maybe useful in theory, but turned out to be bloated crap (sorry, couldn't find a more eloquent way to phrase that. NO NAMES MENTION HERE.
wink.png
)

What good does removing content from ones news feed When any average user can use the search feature to stalk your posts? Does that make you feel uncomfortable letting users search that way? I'm not trying to come off as an ass by any means
The way I see it, it's all about that social stuff. I don't know why everybody comes up with technical reasons that in a way argue against the request.

So Pyro, just because they are just two man that does not mean nobody should provide feedback that is negative?

Any experience is one, the only thing I want ppl to do is be constructive and explain as to why it's a negative experience for them.

A blocks B
B blocks C
C blocks A & B
D blocks A, & E

A thread with all 5 posters in would make very little sense as significant portions of the conversation will be omitted from each member, except E.

Try reading this thread, removing mine, Kier's and xenDach's posts (including quoted content) for example, on the assumption that we have all blocked you.

I don't want to follow mikey and I don't want him to troll me, and I feel better if he doesn't follow me so I don't show on his profile. The less attention and connection to Mikey the better.

how do i do that? there's no ignore feature, and there's no block feature that i can click to say: i do not want to see his threads/posts, and I don't want to see me on his profile anywhere, such as following me. 'just leave me alone'.

xenforo currently encourages this behavior of you just have to ignore me, but i can still do whatever i want, including following you so i can stay up to date on every move you make.

Wow, all this following stuff is making my head spin.

Anyway, I had no expectations for beta 6, I'm not going to assume what the Kier and Mike are going to do next because I know nothing at all about software development. Overall I'm very pleased with the development cycle here

A blocks B
B blocks C
C blocks A & B
D blocks A, & E

Um, blocking or ignoring posts is on a personal level, meaning, if the user doesn't want to see a certain other users's posts, then they block/ ignore that single user and he or she, who is ignoring, wouldn't see the other users's posts. I'd venture to say you understand this Brogan. However, a situation like you have written wouldn't really happen.

It would be more like, say there are users A, B, C, D, E and AH. Things are running nicely, but then AH starts to actually be one. He gets more and more on everyone's nerves, so much so, that A, C, D and E block or ignore AH. His posts are then non-existant only for A, C, D and E. It wouldn't matter what AH says or will say, because he wasn't being productive for the community and its discussions anyway.

It sort of goes along the lines of disciplining, "If you ignore him, he'll stop sooner or later, because he isn't getting the attention he is expecting." It's not the best way to instill discipline or order in a community. But since the users aren't completely responsible for disciplining or teaching other user's to be "good", or at least you can't expect them to, having an ignore function is the next best alternative for the users to help eleviate themselves of having to be annoyed by AH.

Some simple statistics on who is being blocked or ignored within community would also be a good tool for an admin, so he could see who is being troublesome and keep a better eye on them. This is where dieketzer and I disagree. Someone has to get into the fight and straighten things out. When not the admin of a forum, who then? He must be authorative.

Although I too believe, as I think Kier and Mike do, a community should concentrate on the good and positive things evolving within it, there are always "trouble makers" out there and keeping control of the situations they may cause, which disrupt the community, must also be part of a community software. It would be great, if there were no AH's in life. But there are. Having an ignore function is strictly to keep those AH's out there somewhat at bay and it simplifies the admin's life. You could even have an automation/ rule in the system. If 5 users put you on their ignore list, then you will be banned for 5 days. Or something to that effect.;)

On that note, you guys know "The Annoying Orange"?:D Hehehehehehehehehe.......waaaaaaaaaassaaaaaaaaaabbbiiii

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

xenDach

Um, blocking or ignoring posts is on a personal level, meaning, if the user doesn't want to see a certain other users's posts, then they block/ ignore that single user and he or she, who is ignoring, wouldn't see the other users's posts. I'd venture to say you understand this Brogan.
Actively "blocking" someone as has been suggested in this thread is completely opposite to how an ignore function works.

When ignoring someone the onus is on you to ignore them.
You are choosing to ignore that person.

From what I've read in this thread, some members want the ability to actively block members from seeing their content with the blocked person being unable to do anything about it.

They are two very different functions which I'm sure you'll agree.

Ok, I am not sure who said what, but I thought I brought in blocking as a function (because Twitter calls it that) and it refers to the followers and the social networking side of Xen. Blocking someone means simply not letting them follow you and/ or taking them off of your followers list. It has nothing to do with the content the blocking or blocked user produces in Xen. If anyone else meant anything else, it wouldn't make any sense, as you pointed out.

I think we have the same understanding.:)

xenDach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom