XenForo 1.2, What's left for you?

I hope it won't be included in XF. vBulletin is a mess because it tries to be everything, XenForo is great because it doesn't. Blogs, galleries and other such things belong to separate packages, not core.

Just because vB makes a mess of it doesn't mean that XF would as well, I think that this product shows what XF is capable of doing. I don't see XF adding a CMS, Portal, Albums, Store, etc to the core though, but instead as addons like how the Resource Manager is. Which IMO would be the correct way to do it as it would keep the bloat to a minimum as you just buy/install what you need.

Common refrain I am hearing to often "But, VB has this and I want XF to also have it in core". I have to keep biting my tongue from responding "If you want all that bloat, keep running VB and leave XF to what it does best - running fast with minimal bloat".

Sorry, I don't consider user albums to be bloat!... Some people are 'abusing' how the word 'bloat' is being used... A native solution, part of a package, an add-on... you choose the word you prefer... I’ve chosen the word native solution, simply because I prefer a solution made by the xenforoTeam. Let’s call it a ‘solution’ than...

My point is that some communities need a repository for photos/images so they can share them in a more organize way...

I recommend this reading:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000020.html
Bloatware and the 80/20 Myth

Extract
A lot of software developers are seduced by the old "80/20" rule. It seems to make a lot of sense: 80% of the people use 20% of the features. So you convince yourself that you only need to implement 20% of the features, and you can still sell 80% as many copies.

Unfortunately, it's never the same 20%. Everybody uses a different set of features. In the last 10 years I have probably heard of dozens of companies who, determined not to learn from each other, tried to release "lite" word processors that only implement 20% of the features. This story is as old as the PC. Most of the time, what happens is that they give their program to a journalist to review, and the journalist reviews it by writing their review using the new word processor, and then the journalist tries to find the "word count" feature which they need because most journalists have precise word count requirements, and it's not there, because it's in the "80% that nobody uses," and the journalist ends up writing a story that attempts to claim simultaneously that lite programs are good, bloat is bad, and I can't use this damn thing 'cause it won't count my words.

One person's bloat is another person's essential feature.

Agree! Especially if you're running a Fan Club community, like I am, were sharing this artist images is an essential part of the experience...
I’m hoping for a solution (native, add-on, package, etc...) by the incredible xenForo team... Hopefully by version 2.0... I'm convinced that however the xenForo team decides to implement the solution, it's not going to be or feel bloated... far from it...

I cannot wait to show the fans the new forum software... I’ve already did to some, and they love it!

I want to see a revamp on the pages... they can be extremely powerful just wish we had a functional editor to go along with them.

I want to see a revamp on the pages... they can be extremely powerful just wish we had a functional editor to go along with them.

I've said it before but the easiest way to populate a page node is to put the content in a post, view the page source and copy and paste the HTML.

I've said it before but the easiest way to populate a page node is to put the content in a post, view the page source and copy and paste the HTML.

Agreed and that's what I've done in the past, but I think(I'd hope) a lot of us can agree that having a simple text box similar to a multi-line style property just doesn't cut it.

One person's bloat is another person's essential feature.

Bingo... that's why I've gotten to using "MY" to emphasize for me. I'm also a modular type person. Kinda like running strip tires on the Mustang when I'm driving around town. They do a great job on the 1/4 mile track, but REALLY suck for day to day driving. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, I don't consider user albums to be bloat!... Some people are 'abusing' how the word 'bloat' is being used... A native solution, part of a package, an add-on... you choose the word you prefer... I’ve chosen the word native solution, simply because I prefer a solution made by the xenforoTeam. Let’s call it a ‘solution’ than...

There is a WORLD of difference between a "native" solution and a CORE solution. You keep seeing people wanting it in the core of the software (which is the base). That, normally, by it's very nature adds overhead.

I recommend this reading:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000020.html
Bloatware and the 80/20 Myth

Extract

Very nice link and good reading.

It really gives another perspective on the matter of bloat. Without going into detail, I think when people refer to bloat and compare to <insert software here> they may refer to the abundance of features which are half developed and don't do what they should. I don't think xenforo would ever become this personally, but it's always good, and I stand by the thinking of even existing features in xenforo can be further refined and I'm sure they will to be more feature rich and useful in the future.

Good reading thanks for posting Rigel. (y)

You can apply modifications to admin and email templates (though yes, it requires debug mode to set those, since they're not normally editable).

Are they still being overwritten on every upgrade?

You can apply modifications to admin and email templates (though yes, it requires debug mode to set those, since they're not normally editable).

I remember reading somewhere that modifications to email templates are not preserved when you run upgrade xF. Is that right? Makes it a bit cumbersome to edit them.

Just recalled something while going through my add-on list. Is there a functionality announced to prevent double posts?

I remember reading somewhere that modifications to email templates are not preserved when you run upgrade xF. Is that right? Makes it a bit cumbersome to edit them.
Yes it's a pain. I have sometimes requested an email editor as it's not easy to edit them in the first p[lace. If you do be sure to keep copies and notes of everything you do so you can redo it.

I'd like to see a proper ad manager as a part of the core... and no it is not a bloat for me ;)

Is to! :ROFLMAO:
Actually, I just got around to using the templates. It's easy enough to do with TMS, but I would like something that you could control from the ACP directly (like targeted local ads).

Top Bottom