WYSIWYG editor in Pages

Shanj

Logician's templates let me edit the page with WYSWYG.
I can also enable my mods to edit like that.
Can these Pages do that? Much faster and easier for simple text + pics stuff.

Also I want some Pages access permissions by usergroup or several.
Even better for my homepage I want PARTS of the page per usergroup! To give links to their forums and info guide pages, section to have their own colour theme and symbol.
Could be done by a link on the central page for each usergroup but ... nicer if it's appears like just one.

Upvote 27
I can appreciate why some people want a WYSIWYG editor for the pages but that will mean either very basic layouts or a huge amount of custom BBCode will need to be added.

Brogan what's the problem? we already have a WYSWYG editor which accesses a section of a page - I'm writing in it right now.
It also runs subject to usergroup permissions.
So why can't it also service Pages?

It would add another 2 access permissions to a usergroup
- Enable to edit all Pages.
- Enable to edit a Page where that individual Page allows this usergroup to edit.
Then there would be a tickbox (?) when creating a Page to tick off any usergroups allowed to edit it, with a default setting by admin.

IIRC, didn't Mike explain why they didn't add a wysiwyg editor to pages? I'll have to look for it.

Kier said:
The biggest obstacle to adding a WYSIWYG editor to the Pages editor is the fact that it would block your ability to use XenForo template syntax within the page, which rather completely defeats the point of the system, in my opinion​

I confess I've never understood this. We already have a WYSWYG editor in use. We use it all the time on forum posts. So why can't we edit a Page as if it's a forum post?
If you can't do html or only want to do quick edits, or want to delegate to non-html staff yes it's limiting in what you can do on the Page.
But far better than not being able to use them at all.

Actually you can do lots in a forum post - titles text size colour alignment links images (even with c rude wrapping) media - only thing that one does want sometimes is columns (tables). But you could switch to the html editor to do that like you do in Wordpress Pages.

Kier also said it could easily be a mod.

The biggest obstacle to adding a WYSIWYG editor to the Pages editor is the fact that it would block your ability to use XenForo template syntax within the page, which rather completely defeats the point of the system, in my opinion.

Kier, what part of this whole page is a part of the template syntax ?

example.page.which.part.has.template.syntax.webp

I am trying to understand what is so essential about templates that it is worth not using the standard editor that all the forum users have come to know how to use ?

Kier, what part of this whole page is a part of the template syntax ?
Everything from "This" to "uses" is standard HTML/CSS entered in the ACP.

The rest is all part of the template system, including the node navigation menu (optional) on the left hand side

With regards to template syntax, I'm using things like this on my pages:
<xen:require css="cta.css" />
<xen:include template="cta_rss_feed" />
<xen:h1></xen:h1>
<a href="{xen:link 'conversations/add'}">
<a href="{xen:link 'forums/statistics/'}">
<a href="{xen:link 'account/'}">

The biggest obstacle to adding a WYSIWYG editor to the Pages editor is the fact that it would block your ability to use XenForo template syntax within the page, which rather completely defeats the point of the system, in my opinion.

So WYSIWYG editor vs. Template Syntax ?

Seems like alot of people want a WYSIWYG editor.
Could someone educate these WYSIWYG people on why Template syntax is more important ?

So WYSIWYG editor vs. Template Syntax ?

Seems like alot of people want a WYSIWYG editor.
Could someone educate these WYSIWYG people on why Template syntax is more important ?

Why not have the two options?
So you can choose to use the WYSWUG editor but it has a little note beside it saying "If you use the Editor you cannot use Template Syntax."

I onl;y ever used that kind of stuff to say Hello NAME so I wouldn't need it.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but having a browse around I cant seem to see any mod or anything similar.

Does anyone know if a mod/addon was created to allow a wysiwyg editor in the pages system, or is anyone in the process of creating one at all?

Thanks DD, Im using xenforo pages already, but I need to additional people to be able to create/deit pages that dont know HTML so was wondering whether this was ever followed up and a wysiwyg editor intergrated.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but having a browse around I cant seem to see any mod or anything similar.

Does anyone know if a mod/addon was created to allow a wysiwyg editor in the pages system, or is anyone in the process of creating one at all?
Yes;)

http://ragtek.org/xenforo/threads/enhanced-pages-1-1-preview.213/
http://ragtek.org/xenforo/threads/ragtek-enhanced-pages.150/

The WYSIWYG Editor is a little bit tricky and makes some problems, but everything else for the addon version 2.0 is ready... (Include Sidebar, Manage Sidebar Content, Manage Attachments, once the WYSIWYG Editor is ready, it will be really a CMS :D........)

Yes;)

http://ragtek.org/xenforo/threads/enhanced-pages-1-1-preview.213/
http://ragtek.org/xenforo/threads/ragtek-enhanced-pages.150/

The WYSIWYG Editor is a little bit tricky and makes some problems, but everything else for the addon version 2.0 is ready... (Include Sidebar, Manage Sidebar Content, Manage Attachments, once the WYSIWYG Editor is ready, it will be really a CMS :D........)

Sounds interesting. Will keep my eye on that. How long are you roughly thinking for the WYSIWYG? Before the end of the year?

Top Bottom