Woot! Pricing and Release info :D

Kim

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/beta-release-date-and-pricing.3876/

Oh yeah baby!
ohyeah.gif

So, you would be happy to work flat out for about a year, and get a mate to do the same, to produce a top-mark script and release it for free?

Without worrying about how you, your mate and associated wives/partners and kids are going to keep a roof over their heads and food in their mouths?

Good luck with that, don't forget to come back and tell us when you're launching your free software. :)

You really shouldn't rely on this as your main source of income.

I think the single malt whisky or wine analogy is useful here. You could take the same single malt, put it into two different bottles, sell one for £15, the other for £30. People will buy the more expensive one, because they perceive it to be a better product. also in tasting tests, people will be influenced by the price-tag.

Conversely, if xenforo was offered for $50, then in all likelihood, many potential customers might not take it seriously at first glance because $50 is so much cheaper than the competition. at $140, it's priced commercially, and will be perceived as a commercial product. The bottom line is not price, but value. somebody who pays s $140 for a product (or indeed $100 special for a $140 product) feels that they've got $140 worth of value.

If somebody offers something similar to the competition for a fraction of the price, the question one should ask is "why is THAT one so cheap?" not "why are ALL THOSE so expensive".

Strictly speaking that would be an import rather than an upgrade, but if the terminology fits... ;)
If the new entity that owns vB decides to sell it off and you guys decide to buy it and go with the stronger brand recognition of vB... then you could realease vB5 in October. :D

vB5 powered by XenForo

vB4 users would then just need to pay $40 to upgrade. ;)

Don't think you can downgrade as such.

For that I think it would be more like VB4 > MyBB > VB3 > XF
I KNEW there was a good reason, when my gut told me to hold off on upgrading to vB 4 (although I bot their license and bot a little of their b.s. back in November).
More glad than ever than I just sitting with my 3.8.x which continues to work fine (knock knock) until the Boyz here stand up XF gold (which will actually BE gold, and not fools' gold!).

I KNEW there was a good reason, when my gut told me to hold off on upgrading to vB 4 (although I bot their license and bot a little of their b.s. back in November).
More glad than ever than I just sitting with my 3.8.x which continues to work fine (knock knock) until the Boyz here stand up XF gold (which will actually BE gold, and not fools' gold!).
I've been telling everybody since last year to not upgrade and just wait for something better to come along. Glad I wasn't wrong! :)

I think the single malt whisky or wine analogy is useful here. You could take the same single malt, put it into two different bottles, sell one for £15, the other for £30. People will buy the more expensive one, because they perceive it to be a better product. also in tasting tests, people will be influenced by the price-tag.

Conversely, if xenforo was offered for $50, then in all likelihood, many potential customers might not take it seriously at first glance because $50 is so much cheaper than the competition. at $140, it's priced commercially, and will be perceived as a commercial product. The bottom line is not price, but value. somebody who pays s $140 for a product (or indeed $100 special for a $140 product) feels that they've got $140 worth of value.

If somebody offers something similar to the competition for a fraction of the price, the question one should ask is "why is THAT one so cheap?" not "why are ALL THOSE so expensive".
Yeah... the 20th century called, they want their marketing philosophies back.
:D
Wal-Mart and the huge success of the 99 cents store has proven that old adage dead.
You see famous millionaires in their $80k Mercedes driving out of those 99 cent stores all the time here in SoCal.

I've been telling everybody since last year to not upgrade and just wait for something better to come along. Glad I wasn't wrong! :)
Do CafePress do a "Told you So" Tee-Shirt? :D
I am soooo glad we held off too....it has proven to be a wise decision - and believe me, there was a lot of pressure on us to move to VB4.

You really shouldn't rely on this as your main source of income.
They are software developers who excel at designing and creating forum software; they should totally rely on this as their main source of income.

If you can't afford the software, or feel it is to expensive, don't buy it, it's as simple as that. No one is forcing you to, nor is anyone stopping you from doing so if you choose to buy it.

Realize however, that the potential BETA coming up, other then a lack of -some- features that haven't been done on -any- system, it is already superior to the competitor in my eyes (And many others for that matter). 

...given IB has been sold to another company, I think VB is in even more uncertain waters than before.
Yep more gangs of suits (wearing SHOES, no less!) sticking their heads in thru the doors (some of them closed) and driving the poor remaining programmers batsh-- crayZ, and the software straight down the drain.
Reading the sale of IB this morning when coming online just nailed it for me because I am now shaky on the future of VB with it once again being sold...
+1... vB means nothing to the suits... just another hook to hang enough hype on to make the REAL money pumping up the IB shares at the end of last year (nearly double), hyping it like it was gold (ha ha ha) then rolling it over again for another 44% gain. Golf, anyone?

Top Bottom