What Is You Experience With TinyMCE [XenForo's Editor]?

I could tell the difference right away typing in that and how smooth it felt, then coming here tying in TinyMCE making 20 typo mistakes. *Shudders*!!! :D

Sounds like a tradeoff one way or the other to me. There are problems in either and changing things will just make it take even longer as those new bugs are worked out.

If TinyMCE could be "fixed" with the issues people currently have, then really all you're talking about are styling issues. It would probably make more sense to try and get TinyMCE fixed than it would be to swap it out. Either way, SOMEONE is going to hate the editor...

On a side note, it *seems* a drop-in replacement with the latest version of TinyMCE works. At least I haven't noticed any ill effects...

There's been quite a number of TinyMCE releases when you think about it. 5 new releases, that's an average of one new release every 3 months since XenForo first arrived using it.

Sounds like a tradeoff one way or the other to me. There are problems in either and changing things will just make it take even longer as those new bugs are worked out.

If TinyMCE could be "fixed" with the issues people currently have, then really all you're talking about are styling issues. It would probably make more sense to try and get TinyMCE fixed than it would be to swap it out. Either way, SOMEONE is going to hate the editor...
It makes sense of course. But something really must be done in future releases.

Not sure why, but my spider senses are telling me they might be having second thoughts about carrying on using TinyMCE in the near future. :coffee:

I know Mike said before Kier doesn't really like it himself, and seeing that 5 new higher releases of TinyMCE have been made since first added in XenForo. Hmmm, seems more trouble than it's worth trying to keep constantly updated with it, too much ongoing workload involved.

The CKEditor in vBulletin has constantly been buggy on my forum, I spent a few days trying to get TinyMCE back into vBulletin after the update that replaced it. Unfortunately it was a one way street and we're stuck with CKEditor.

I think the best option would be to provide an option to switch your entire forum from one editor to another, leave the choice of editor to the owner of the forum.

That'll save me LOTS of whining.

There is a newer of tinymce, the current one bundled is 3.4.2. Last week 3.4.7 came out.

Has anyone looked to see if the issues they're having are on http://www.tinymce.com/develop/changelog/index.php?type=tinymce and has anyone tried an upgrade?
I updated my dev install of XF to TinyMCE 3.4.7 (seems like you can just drop in the new version without any problems). I haven't done extensive testing, but the stripping of tabs within WYSIWYG mode isn't fixed (that's the one that bugs me the most).

I updated my dev install of XF to TinyMCE 3.4.7 (seems like you can just drop in the new version without any problems). I haven't done extensive testing, but the stripping of tabs within WYSIWYG mode isn't fixed (that's the one that bugs me the most).
does chrome still paste text colour formatting? that one is annoying to no end.

Well isn't that a point of WYSIWYG (including copy/paste with formatting intact)? I've just gotten very used to using the "Remove Formatting" button myself. :)

you can test it by copying any content from the table here and paste that content into the editor , then remove format.:(

Top Bottom