what are your thought on the crisis in Egypt this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we send foreign aid in a vain attempt to prop up a dictatorship of the last 30 years. Somehow that means Ali should not be able to voice his opinion on controlling his own destiny without U.S. influence? Unless he pays back the money that had a hand in his oppression? How exactly is Ali supposed to do that? The vast bulk of the aid was for purchasing military equipment from the U.S. not to help the people in any way. Ali may not even "feel we still owe them financial support" but would probably welcome support from the people who threw off the chains of oppression not that long ago. We have supported dictators around the world and every time it ends up biting us in the butt.

I have as much, if not more, of a problem with my own government and their oppression of me. Ali came in here and using his own words, said he didn't want rid of Mubarak but of the US...just exactly how would you expect one to react to that? Seriously, this 'American guilt trip' thing the left in our country is obsessed with is getting old.

I have as much, if not more, of a problem with my own government and their oppression of me. Ali came in here and using his own words, said he didn't want rid of Mubarak but of the US...just exactly how would you expect one to react to that? Seriously, this 'US guilt trip' thing the left in our country is obsessed with is getting old.

When in doubt blame the USA. Look after your own should be any governments priority.

When in doubt blame the USA. Look after your own should be any governments priority.

That's one thing about Denmark that I love. When a controversial Dutch politician released a movie, even before the government had any real clue about what was in it, our PM was already apologizing for any offence it might cause. When (I think) Sudan caused a stink over the Danish cartoons, Denmark pulled the foreign aid it used to give to Sudan as a response.

Y'know there are a number of countries around the world who hate America, but have no problem accepting our help, whether financially or otherwise.
Well, I have no problem not giving it. IMO we stick our political noses into other country's business, where it doesn't belong, whether they ask for us or not. And why??

Honestly, we have enough to deal with in our own country. Look at the percentage of Americans living below the poverty level. Look at our own starving kids, ailing elderly, and homeless military veterans. We have lack of health coverage, and we have a national debt well into the trillions of dollars.

So my thing is - bring home our military, bring home our exports, bring home our money, and take care of our own. Those countries that hate us will get along just fine without our input.

Here's a quote that sums up my feelings perfectly:

"There is a tendency for the world to say to America, 'the big problems of the world are yours, you go and sort them out,' and then to worry when America wants to sort them out." - Prime Minister Tony Blair

Ah... interesting thread. I agree with a couple of points raised, one, someone's always behind such events. Who it is, and to what gain is speculation. And second, money is never given for free, not even by US in the name of financial aid. Sure it's called financial aid or something similar, but it's never free and not for lofty ideals alone. There always are conditions attached.

I hope things get better for the people of Egypt, and also for others in the world who suffer under various situations... We have so many good things in life, we can't even begin to imagine what kind of hell life can be, and we never realize that there are millions, possibly billions, of people in the world living under such conditions every day of their lives. So ya, instead of blaming each other, we can at least wish others well.

No offense to the people in the West, USA or Europe. They care as much as we care or for the victims of a shooting of a Senator or any other political act that’s happening: not much!

Most of us are even not aware what's happening down there, what the big hassle is, why hundreds of protestors are being killed as we speak. It didn't have any meaning in Sudan, Uganda back then and sure it hasn't any if bunch of Arabs are killing each other!

We don't care about dictators like Mubarak that they are supported for their cooperation for many decades. The fact that they suck the life out of their countries, dry them out of their money and place their sons or family members like the ancient pharaohs did is not relevant. For us, when there is no harm in our backyard, it's all good!

I'm from Germany, was born in Turkey. As my homeland is in a crossroad between the west and the east it has the same effect on me being here in Germany. I'm starting to care less than yesterday and I'm very bothered with that.

I have no intention to accuse any of you guys; just very frustrated that we care less and less is something that really bothers me.

it reminds me of a beautiful song from George Michael.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the days of the open hand
They will not be the last
Look around now
These are the days of the beggars and the choosers.

This is the year of the hungry man
Whose place is in the past
Hand in hand with ignorance
And legitimate excuses.

The rich declare themselves poor
And most of us are not sure
If we have too much
But we’ll take our chances
Because God’s stopped keeping score
I guess somewhere along the way
He must have let us all out to play
Turned his back and all Gods children
Crept out the back door.

And its hard to love, there’s so much to hate
Hanging on to hope
When there is no hope to speak of.
And the wounded skies above say it’s much, much too late
Well maybe we should all be praying for time.

These are the days of the empty hand
Oh you hold on to what you can
And charity is a coat you wear twice a year.

This is the year of the guilty man
Your television takes a stand
And you find that what was over there is over here.

So you scream from behind your door
Say what’s mine is mine and not yours
I may have too much but I’ll take my chances
Because God’s stopped keeping score.
And you cling to the things they sold you
Did you cover your eyes when they told you
That he can’t come back
Because he has no children to come back for.

Its hard to love, there’s so much to hate
Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above say its much too late
So maybe we should all be praying for time.

So my thing is - bring home our military, bring home our exports, bring home our money, and take care of our own. Those countries that hate us will get along just fine without our input.
Yeah. Put an export ban on Microsoft, Oracle, Intel, IBM, HP and Cisco and then wait for the world to drift slowly back into the industrial 1900s.

No offense to the people in the West, USA or Europe. They care as much as we care or for the victims of a shooting of a Senator or any other political act that’s happening: not much!

Most of us are even not aware what's happening down there, what the big hassle is, why hundreds of protestors are being killed as we speak. It didn't have any meaning in Sudan, Uganda back then and sure it hasn't any if bunch of Arabs are killing each other!

We don't care about dictators like Mubarak that they are supported for their cooperation for many decades. The fact that they suck the life out of their countries, dry them out of their money and place their sons or family members like the ancient pharaohs did is not relevant. For us, when there is no harm in our backyard, it's all good!

I'm from Germany, was born in Turkey. As my homeland is in a crossroad between the west and the east it has the same effect on me being here in Germany. I'm starting to care less than yesterday and I'm very bothered with that.

I have no intention to accuse any of you guys; just very frustrated that we care less and less is something that really bothers me.
I don't care less. I care very much for the people in Egypt and every other country. But I care more for the people in my own country, as every person should.

This is all part of 2012 people. Sell your stocks and live like a big shot for the remaining months.
LOL... Now THAT'S funny
biggrin.png

I support freedom. Everyone deserves it.

Just like Iran 35 years ago and Cuba 20 years before that. We support dictatorships and the people have to turn elsewhere for support. Only after things fall apart do we stand for non-violence and democracy. Hard to make folks in the middle east believe that after the last few years. We should stand up for the principles we hold dear instead of doing what is expedient.

Who is this "we" you're talking about? I get to vote, period. Whoever's voted in makes the actual decision on who or what to support, where. I never made any decision on any of these things.

I'm pretty damn tired of "you Americans did this or that" when someone actually means, "your government did this or that."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom