XF 1.2 Watching a Forum

XenForo 1.2 adds another commonly requested feature: the ability to watch a forum. The forum watching system works rather similarly to the thread watching system, just on all content within a forum.

When you click the link to watch a forum, you'll see an overlay like this:

ss-2013-05-27_12-03-40.webp

Notification-less watching options may be expanded in the future (such as with indications on the new threads list).

Notifications work identically to thread watching notifications: you'll only receive one about a thread until you view it on the forum.

Like threads, you can manage your watched forums in bulk via a dedicated page. This can also be used to simply filter only to forums you're interested in.

Administrators can also limit the type of notifications that can be triggered when watching a forum:
ss-2013-05-27_12-06-49.webp

This can be useful to reduce the number of notifications that will be triggered on particularly busy forums.

Yes, but what is the purpose of the icon anyway? Seems like bloat to me.

Same bloat as the little blue icon that shows before every thread title in the new threads list, no?

Although I disagree - I think an icon would be useful showing which threads are watched. However, I would choose something different than the star.

It's hilarious how you guys don't see how a "Star" relates to a thread you are watching

It's a favorite star. A bookmark. Look at Chrome: You click a star to bookmark.

Play withSix: You click a star to favorite
Twitter: A star to favorite.

Untitled.webp

Untitled2.webp

Untitled3.webp

A star seems like a PERFECTLY REASONABLE ICON to be for watching a thread. =/

It's hilarious how you guys don't see how a "Star" relates to a thread you are watching

View attachment 48510

View attachment 48511

View attachment 48512

Stars are fine for me, but the current "star" design is too 2000.

View attachment 48510

View attachment 48511

View attachment 48512

Yes, but do these other systems have any time when you're ranking something out of 5 stars? Like the Resource Manager does?

Having stars when they're on their own is fine. Having stars for one thing in one place and for something totally different elsewhere on the same site is not actually so useful.

I imagine you don't.

Why would you. I can't see any functionality that is missing from the xfrocks add-on.

Top Bottom