vBulletin 4 Iphone App!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think someone said it best on their forums that it would be nice to focus on the features at hand and improve on those.

Nevertheless I'm all for XenForo :cool:
From what I recall, the app is not being developed by vB Solutions.

Shelly, if you don't want to talk about, it then don't talk about.

It is not directly related to xf, but there are many things not directly related to xf discussed on this forum, just like all forums.

The iPhone app is great, if and only if the core is stable. It's not though.
Spot on the money IMHO... the product is evolving, but regardless, the core is still unstable and still a decade old, bloated product. The product is coming along... but the company at the helm is still the same... IB.

actually coming to think about it, i wouldn't be surprised someone finds an exploit in that vBulletin app, and uses it to compromise vBulletin 4 installations...

*shudders*

I am really shocked by some of the comments in this thread. This thread is not promoting anything. It's not selling iPhone and it's not selling vBulletin.

As for the iPhone, I do not regret my purchase of either the 3G, 3GS, or iPhone 4 for a second. When the iPhone entered the market, most smartphones had a Godawful interface, required an easy-to-lose stylus, and barely had WAP2 web browser support . The main choices were Blackberry, Windows Mobile 6, Palm OS, and Symbian.

The fact that NOW, there are devices like Android and Palm Pre which have learned many lessons from Apple, means that I think iPhone deserves a little more respect than the mud being slung at it. If you don't personally like the iPhone, that's perfectly fine. But the mobile phone and smartphone market would not be nearly as evolved (and probably stylus or handwriting-recognition based) if it weren't for the iPhone.

Using vBulletin on a mobile web browser, is not an enjoyable experience. XenForo is much easier to use on mobile web browsers, but there are still some issues especially with the editor, and it would benefit greatly from using the mobile paradigms.

I'm not so blinded with rage towards vBulletin that I can't see when they do something right, and looking at the video demonstration (narrated with a deep British accent, hmm!), I am impressed by the vBulletin iPhone app. They clearly designed it for someone on-the-go who doesn't have time for 100kb of javascript and crap to load that they're not even going to use. From what I can see, I think it would be very popular for those still using vBulletin.

I think it is crucial that XenForo, at the very least, offer a mobile-optimized style. I also hope they will consider an iPhone app followed by an Android app.

Wow. Really struck by some of the venom and lack of objectivity in this thread.

I don't have an iPhone (I use Android), but the reality is if you could only do 1 app you would be foolish to do it for any other phone seeing how most mobile browsing statistically is done on an iPhone over any other platform. That would mean logic would dictate that more of your users would utilise an iPhone app than another app. As far as the argument that they should be fixing the core instead of developing apps - sounds like they are as the app (I gather) is outsourced.

Personally I think its too little too late (and too fugly) but it is about time that all forums pay more attention to the ever increasing mobile browsing market. I don't think anyone or anything should be auto damned just because of who delivers it. Judge on merit, not on prejudice.

The world doesn't revolve around a stupid iphone. Seems like developers think the whole population own iphones. I loathe iphones.
Actually, as Android proved, the world does revolve around the iPhone. Apple and Google will dominate the market within the next couple of years. The rest of the world will just be left behind.
The SMART thing for a developer to do is to have their product ready for this, because it's already started at a remarkable pace.

Actually, as Android proved, the world does revolve around the iPhone. Apple and Google will dominate the market within the next couple of years. The rest of the world will just be left behind.
The SMART thing for a developer to do is to have their product ready for this, because it's already started at a remarkable pace.

Your point being? I never said they should never develop. Android systems are the fastest growing on the market and getting stronger. I know exactly where the market is heading and it doesn't just involve the iphone.

Why should the iphone amongst forum formats be developed first? Exactly why is it so innovative of vbulletin to create an app for a shoddy product?

Again, not seeing what kind of point your trying to convey across. Your not telling me anything new I didn't know already.

Reactions: D37
Im still a BB fan, although the new BB OS is a letdown, the torch is pretty cool.. No $ in mobile skins thats why product specific mobile apps are so popular..

I reopened this thread because I think it's an interesting thing to discuss. I have no problem with people discussing what our competitors are doing, so long as the discussions don't decend into needless 'bashing' of their products for no reason other than they are their products.

Why should the iphone amongst forum formats be developed first? Exactly why is it so innovative of vbulletin to create an app for a shoddy ...

Because it has the critical mass. It would be silly do release an app for the minority of users first. It would be like XF being designed only for IIS. Saying that I'm not sure of the issue you have as I thought they were releasing for Android as well.

Reactions: Dan
I think unless your website or community has some special feature that requires its own app, you should just stick to the default mobile browser. I certainly wouldn't want to have an app for every single site I visit.

Because it has the critical mass. It would be silly do release an app for the minority of users first. It would be like XF being designed only for IIS. Saying that I'm not sure of the issue you have as I thought they were releasing for Android as well.

Do you have any statistical data to back that up? I'm quite sure Iphone and android users are on par with one another. Look forward in seeing those stats.

edit And I'm sure that android and iphone users have 1/3 of the smartphone market each with android being confirmed as the fastest growing in the last quarter.

Reactions: D37
Do you have any statistical data to back that up? I'm quite sure Iphone and android users are on par with one another. Look forward in seeing those stats.

edit And I'm sure that android and iphone users have 1/3 of the smartphone market each with android being confirmed as the fastest growing in the last quarter.
Actually, marketshare is hardly relevant in this situation: On Mobile Web, Market Share Doesn't Matter (although, I have no idea how credible the company who published this research is).

And even though Android phones are outselling the iPhone and the BlackBerry in the U.S., the iPhone, in terms of internet usage, still beats all Android phones (combined).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom