vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No risk, but it's recommended to only have Debug mode enabled on development boards or at the very least turn it off when you're not using it.

There's a small performance overhead associated with it that's unnecessary for day to day usage.

Stick it on any line :)

It's right there in the footer in the middle after you've enabled it:

KGeGK.png

wow less than 17 with all the addons I'm installing . this is just great and relieving .
the first time i knew about xenforo was from VB forums trying to defend their software .
So glad people are talkative

Certainly hiring a LA-based project manager sends a powerful message. "We are moving vBulletin out of the UK and into the US."
Then, what's the #@^&ing point of acquiring Jelsoft in the first place? Wouldn't it be easier to just outright buy the vBulletin brand? Companies sell assets all the time, so really, iB. What's the #@^&ing point!?
Seeing Ashley being made redundant was IB telling the UK staffers they aren't wanted.
Wrong idea. Wrong decision. Busby has experience in making a forum software plan work, and be profitable. Stupid, wrong move.

What made vBulletin run smoothly was Busby's hand in the business side of things. And let the programmers worry about everything else... While knowing vBulletin, I never heard of Jelsoft having management problems. But I do, with vB4/vB5.

So, going by this, Busby did a splendid job keeping vBulletin alive until the iB acquisition.
(1) Hiring a Project manager from the US. If IB valued vBulletin's developers in the UK, they would have hired a manager to work in the UK. Brisco treated Kier, Mike and the rest of the UK programmers as if he didn't care about them.
(2) Surely you should treat the Jelsoft boys well until vB4 is out and working well ! Get them to produce vB4 and then ditch them !
(3) Why fire Ashley when vB4 isn't even stable ?
(4) .... etc.
If I were in Brisco's shoes:

1. Buy Jelsoft company/vBulletin brand with intention of keeping the previous staffers. Because if the previous staff did a great job with the product, why push them out? Just no point. I bought the company, I want my money to work to my advantage. I bought the brand, I want my brand to reflect good on me, not against me.

2. Keep the team the way it is. Offer incentives to staff that has been there through and through - to keep them working there. Once again: I want my money to work to my advantage. If I wanted vB4 to be well coded, I would treat these guys with much respect enough to keep them working until completion. If I see they do a great job under my control... I keep them.

3. Do not argue with the developer if they say a complete re-write is required in order for vB4 to succeed. In fact, I wouldn't be against this. If my staff has a problem with it, you're fired. Out. I don't care. I'm not going to tell my lead developer "no" to a complete re-write.

Then, what's the #@^&ing point of acquiring Jelsoft in the first place? Wouldn't it be easier to just outright buy the vBulletin brand? Companies sell assets all the time, so really, iB. What's the #@^&ing point!?

Wrong idea. Wrong decision. Busby has experience in making a forum software plan work, and be profitable. Stupid, wrong move.

What made vBulletin run smoothly was Busby's hand in the business side of things. And let the programmers worry about everything else... While knowing vBulletin, I never heard of Jelsoft having management problems. But I do, with vB4/vB5.

So, going by this, Busby did a splendid job keeping vBulletin alive until the iB acquisition.

If I were in Brisco's shoes:

1. Buy Jelsoft company/vBulletin brand with intention of keeping the previous staffers. Because if the previous staff did a great job with the product, why push them out? Just no point. I bought the company, I want my money to work to my advantage. I bought the brand, I want my brand to reflect good on me, not against me.

2. Keep the team the way it is. Offer incentives to staff that has been there through and through - to keep them working there. Once again: I want my money to work to my advantage. If I wanted vB4 to be well coded, I would treat these guys with much respect enough to keep them working until completion. If I see they do a great job under my control... I keep them.

3. Do not argue with the developer if they say a complete re-write is required in order for vB4 to succeed. In fact, I wouldn't be against this. If my staff has a problem with it, you're fired. Out. I don't care. I'm not going to tell my lead developer "no" to a complete re-write.

Carlos, a lot of monday night quarterbacking, but go read everything that's happened over at vbtruth. I personally feel veritas and chronos have the most well documented blog on this entire fiasco.

I never really thought about IB's motives or their rationale behind organizational changes in the company, but I think my departure was telling. I offered to work for free and they wouldn't have me because I didn't like their company or their software, and I told them so. My disagreement with their company wasn't a conflict for me because I enjoyed the work (hence my offer of free labor), but it was a conflict for them.

So you have a company who fires experienced employees when they don't agree. I think this is a bad management strategy, especially when it comes to software development which typically involves a lot of disagreement as part of the development process. To quote an interview with Kier:

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78018

Kier said:
There isn’t really a hierarchy of developers at XenForo, Mike and I have an equal say in how things are done and what features we will target, and we frequently disagree, though our disagreements have seeded some of our best features.

And of course when a company fires people for disagreeing it results in valuable feedback being withheld. Employees don't dare speak out for fear of losing their job. Imagine what that does to the work environment.

Carlos, a lot of monday night quarterbacking, but go read everything that's happened over at vbtruth. I personally feel veritas and chronos have the most well documented blog on this entire fiasco.
I've read bits and pieces of articles there.
I never really thought about IB's motives or their rationale behind organizational changes in the company, but I think my departure was telling. I offered to work for free and they wouldn't have me because I didn't like their company or their software, and I told them so. My disagreement with their company wasn't a conflict for me because I enjoyed the work (hence my offer of free labor), but it was a conflict for them.
Free work, rejected? Hey, Brisco - FREE work!? You're rejecting FREE work?

408_0179.preview.jpg

*Bangs head onto desk* Free. FREE.

I wish I had people like you working for me, Jake. That's just dumb.
So you have a company who fires experienced employees when they don't agree. I think this is a bad management strategy, especially when it comes to software development which typically involves a lot of disagreement as part of the development process.
Indeed. Compromises always come out in these disagreements. Which is evident in Kier's interview.
And of course when a company fires people for disagreeing it results in valuable feedback being withheld. Employees don't dare speak out for fear of losing their job. Imagine what that does to the work environment.
I want a worker environment that does NOT reject disagreements like this. Speak up and help innovations, I say.

If VB5 came with a years supply of chocolate, massages and poptarts, I still wouldn't consider it.. Simply because I don't have the energy to deal with them and their software any more.

If VB5 came with a years supply of chocolate, massages and poptarts, I still wouldn't consider it.. Simply because I don't have the energy to deal with them and their software any more.
Gosh, I hate to be the person to tell you Gabby ... but chocolate, massages and poptarts were all pulled from vB5 Connect due to the massive problems with existing vB5 features.

Even worse, all three aren't due out until vB 6 becomes Xenforo 2.0 ;)

LOL chit I knew there was a catch. rat bast**s... but if I buy VB6 will have have to give back my chocolate, massage vouchers and poptarts when they decide to sue the next threat to their beloved software? Oh well. I still have Kier's soothing voice to get me through the day.... :)

Curious.
Why do so many even care about vB5?
XF's future depends a lot on it.

XF wins lawsuit, vb5 fails = XF may grow exponentially.
XF loses lawsuit, vb5 is a success = XF probably has a difficult time or may even EOL.

So I certainly care, especially since I'm still a vB customer (as are some other members here).

Reactions: vVv
Curious.
Why do so many even care about vB5?

Also because healthy competition breeds innovation, and with vB completely out of the running there is one less major contender that forces forums to move forwards. As much as I hope IB gets their act together to help foster this competition, I simply don't think it will happen given their large history of very poor decisions. We can't really rely on free forum software to provide the innovation necessary to move the industry forward (since they have no motivation to provide such things, c.f. many free boards have changed very little since their inception), leaving it to paid forum software to do that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom