vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
crap.o.meter.forums.webp

New lows for vBulletin :(

It doesn't tell you anything useful, like database queries or load times -- it only tells you stuff like the number of ajax requests or what templates were loaded.
hVRdu.png

In order to get the queries (now called Asserts) to show, you need to set two switches like this:

1) /core/includes/config.php

// This allows you to enter debug mode, which is for support or development
// to help understand how pages are built. This should NEVER be enabled in
// a live environment.
$config['Misc']['debug'] = true;

and

2) /config.php

// This setting enables debug mode, it should NEVER be used on a live site
$config['debug'] = true;

Currently beta 11 requires between 94 to 101 Asserts to display a thread. This is an improvement from beta 10 which required 110 Asserts.

Apparently the developers have made improvements in beta 12 and beta 13, we'll see.

Currently beta 11 requires between 94 to 101 Asserts to display a thread. This is an improvement from beta 10 which required 110 Asserts.

Apparently the developers have made improvements in beta 12 and beta 13, we'll see.

So they reduced up to 15% of the queries needed? Let's not forget where the benchmark is...around 6-8 :p

Query count -

vBulletin 5 beta 11 - 94-101 queries
vBulletin 5 beta 10 - 110 queries
vBulletin 5 beta 14 - approx. 60 queries
vBulletin 4 - 14 queries
Xenforo 1.1x - 11 queries forum home
Xenforo 1.1x - 11 queries on a 1 page thread
Xenforo 1.1x - 11 queries on a 38 page thread
Xenforo 1.1x - as low as 6-7 queries (with optimizations)
IPB - 123 queries for page 2 with a topic containing 400 posts and 61 followers
IPB - 49 queries on a 2 page thread (note)
- 103 queries to show a thread that is 123 pages. (note)
- 8 queries to show the main forum index page (note)

thank.you.kitty.webp

I will add more data if you quote this post ! Thanks.

vBulletin 5 beta 11 requires between 94 to 101 Asserts to display a thread. This is an improvement from beta 10 which required 110 Asserts.
vB4 takes about 14 queries to display a thread.
Just turned debug mode on my one IPB site. It is 8 queries to show the main forum index page and 103 queries to show a thread that is 123 pages.
I don't have any cache turned on other then the built in IPB stuff.
Important comparison issues: # of mods installed.
Stock install? No mods?
I just checked my XF site, forum index is 11 queries and thread view is 11 queries on a one page thread.
IPB - 123 queries for page 2 with a topic containing 400 posts and 61 followers. Do note: While navigating to next/previous pages count is 18-23.
Just checked a 38 page thread and it was still at 11 queries.
I just saw Paul M's Area 52, which is running VB5 Beta 14. It has Debug on, so you can see that they have reduced it to 60 queries. Still too (too!) many for an empty site but I guess it can be called an improvement.

The feeling I get right now from VB is that they are indeed focusing on performance, which is a good thing. Whether the architectural design of the software is capable of getting down to XF level of performance, I do not think so.
I've seen it stated Xenforo has as low as 6-7 queries.
other comparison issues: quality of the query. (There are queries that are more "expensive" than others !)

Anyone know what the latest IPB needs ?

Query count -

vBulletin 5 beta 11 - 94-101 queries
vBulletin 5 beta 10 - 110 queries
vBulletin 4 - 14 queries
Xenforo 1.1x - 6-8 queries?

Anyone know what the latest IPB needs ?
is Xenforo around 6-8 ?

Just turned debug mode on my one IPB site. It is 8 queries to show the main forum index page and 103 queries to show a thread that is 123 pages.

Stock install? No mods?

I don't think we have any mods installed that would affect the thread view. We do have all of the modules except for the blog though. I am also sure that having nexus installed to run the ads would have some affect as well.

We do have the similar tagged threads feature enabled and we are also using the reputation system.

Those are merely the success stories we hear. How many failures stories have we heard?

None that you can think of apparently <grin>. No one invests in a start up to take it over and depose the people who were the reason one was investing in the first place. It makes no sense. This is all pre-IPO money.

I'm scared at the fact that a blank forum listing threads triggers up to 75 queries. I've seen as low as 63.

http://skizzerz.net/vb5demo/forum/main-forum/new-channel-ab

Debug Information

• Page ID: 59
  • Parent ID: 30
  • Page Template ID: 2
  • Route ID: 72
  • Page Type: custom
  • Screen Layout ID: 1
  • Screen Layout Template: screenlayout_1
  • Channel ID: 21
  • Node ID: 21
  • Database Asserts: 75