Implemented vB-alike Notices System for xenForo

Grover

I would dearly miss the great Notices system that vB3.8 comes with. If you guys can implement something like that (and improve it, like we have requested here for so long :mad:), it would be truly awesom.

A sophisticated Notices System in xenForo can be used for example to show new members how certain functionality works in xenForo. You know, if it would be possible to check for example on certain conditions like 'has the user uploaded his/her own avatar?' or 'Did the user ever used the private conversations feature?' ... then the software could display a help text (with guiding images) to explain to the user how to do it! We have suggested this many many times overthere at vBulletin, but it was never picked up.

Nevertheless, just a basic vB3.8 alike Notices System would make me very happy! Who's in? :)

Edit 16/02/2011: It is also important to me and my staff that Notices can be constructed using the wysiwyg-editor. It is a complete pain to construct Notices in for example vBulletin if you want to use some markup: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...quot-system.?p=1730503&viewfull=1#post1730503. For admins/mods who don't understand or don't want to use HTML, the great wysiwyg is/would be a life and time saver for constructing Notices!

Reminder: If you think this should be default functionality in XenForo, the please [like] this first posting! Thank you.

Upvote 87
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Any chance on having the option to set them up like when I click on a avatar? When people come online they are presented with a popup, or even when a link is clicked?

?

Please make it better then vBulletins though.

I used it a lot, but there were a lot of times I wished that it were a more robust system.

Please make it better then vBulletins though.

I used it a lot, but there were a lot of times I wished that it were a more robust system.

It might be useful to describe what you mean by "more robust" with concrete examples of functionality you need. :)

You don't really need to explain the purpose or the workings of the vBulletin notices system, I wrote it after all ;)

+... Well, a lot! :) That's just priceless.

Notices was, IMO, hands down the best part about vB past the 3.6 series. An improved version in XF would be just awesome. I also feel kinda vindicated that it was Kier's work :).

It might be useful to describe what you mean by "more robust" with concrete examples of functionality you need. :)

I was kind of tapped for time when I posted that; an intern at work nearly wiped a customers backup data and I got to spend much of my time fixing that.

Mostly, I'd love to see more options for when notices are displayed. One thing I'd love to have, but is unlikely, is the ability to set a notice for specific user agents and the ability to set how many times a notice id displayed (Say I want it to be persistent, but only a set # of times).

Mostly, I'd love to see more options for when notices are displayed. One thing I'd love to have, but is unlikely, is the ability to set a notice for specific user agents and the ability to set how many times a notice id displayed (Say I want it to be persistent, but only a set # of times).

In addition to a nice list of common default notice criteria, it would be nice if, with the proper permission, you had the ability to test against any PHP and XenForo environment variables to decide whether or not to show the notice. That would give very powerful customisability. And it would be nice if that worked without inputting PHP code and evaluating it. Instead you would be able to set up expressions to test against the values of any of the environment variables.

Well if it is going to be that powerful that it can detect browser, detecting proxies would be good as well.

:D

Thread notices would be very useful as well.

Every site has long threads where the staff needs to remind members again and again about the same issue. A thread notice can take care of that.

Maybe I am just thinking too much about XenForo these days, but a simple notice system that's in the spirit of the inbox/alert/notice​
The latter only showing if there's a new system wide(?) notice. It's not annoying, it's still easy to catch due to the red popup above it, and it will go away once read.​
Just a thought :)

Serious suggestion for the notices (or whatever it will be called). Could they be 'collapsible' instead of dismissible? Having a red X to click on that makes the information permanently disappear does not seem as nice as a button that collapses the information, which could later be expanded and re-read at a later time.

Serious suggestion for the notices (or whatever it will be called). Could they be 'collapsible' instead of dismissible? Having a red X to click on that makes the information permanently disappear does not seem as nice as a button that collapses the information, which could later be expanded and re-read at a later time.

Or have an area in the account panel/settings to un-hide closed/dismissed notices. Just an alternative option.

Top Bottom