XF 1.1 Thread Prefixes

An eagerly-awaited feature for XenForo 1.1, here is a first look at the new thread prefixes system, with a special guest appearance!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Why, why xenforo! Why are you so sexy an amazing?! Well, I have to say, I was amazed at phpbb 3's thread prefix mod: Here. However, after seeing this damn sexy video, I can confirm that Xenforo has officially made the prefixes their b!tch :P
Anyone plan on making some custom CSS prefixes threads so we can have some cool ones to add?

all people need multiple prefix need just 2 prefix not more
you can make double layer of prefixes by adding one column to prefix database table called order (1 or 2)
and in control panel admin can add prefixes in order 1 or other in order 2
there are 2 compo boxes one have all prefixes in order 1, other have all prefixes in order 2

I'm sorry about my poor English

I want my users to self-categorize their threads so that their thread can be grouped to other threads. Ideally other users can also categorize the threads, and they can vote for and against a categorization. I don't care how the categorization is called: prefixes, tags, forums. Users should do that (giving a prefix to a thread, tagging a thread, creating a thread within a special forum and therein categorize it with the forum title). The big problem lies that threads can be mis-categorized! So a prefix should be renamed, or if you use tags, the tags should be changed. Or if you use forums, you have to move the thread to another forum. Now it is rather unfair to the prefixes that with the admin-categorization "forums" you have multiple sub-categorization possibilities where the prefixes only have one level of categorization :) With sub-prefixes you can build your whole community with just one forum. Think out of the box :)

I think I've been thinking outside of that box for a while now :) - My ideal forum structure would do away with the hard limits of a tree-structured list of forums. Instead, you'd take the list of forums and apply them as tags, so that a thread can appear in multiple 'forums' - for instance, a thread called "Steam trains on the London Underground" would appear in the London, Transport and History forums. Forums as overlapping circles in a Venn diagram, instead of isolated islands as they are now. This is a half-way solution between forums and user-generated tags. Although XF could be made to work like this with redirects, I think that such a structure would need to be taken account of from the start.

On Topic: Prefix system looks excellent :)

I think I've been thinking outside of that box for a while now :) - My ideal forum structure would do away with the hard limits of a tree-structured list of forums. Instead, you'd take the list of forums and apply them as tags, so that a thread can appear in multiple 'forums' - for instance, a thread called "Steam trains on the London Underground" would appear in the London, Transport and History forums.
I like ideas :)
There are interesting aspects to a "tagging only" structure. But with downsides like: high maintenance. Auto-tagging is fraught with problems, and having to categorize every thread is only acceptable to the lowest volume of forums. An optimal community generated methodology of tagging doesn't exist. Think of forums as "the first tag". Without it, things get hairy.
Your example of one thread appearing in two locations is interesting, but I'm not sure it is important. It is solving something, but misses the major weaknesses of forums (the best posts are hard to find, too many posts, etc.).
Forums as overlapping circles in a Venn diagram, instead of isolated islands as they are now. This is a half-way solution between forums and user-generated tags. Although XF could be made to work like this with redirects,
I have a few ideas that would work well with your idea.
I think that such a structure would need to be taken account of from the start.
Definitely, and that ship has sailed :)
It does look solid.

I think I've been thinking outside of that box for a while now :) - My ideal forum structure would do away with the hard limits of a tree-structured list of forums. Instead, you'd take the list of forums and apply them as tags, so that a thread can appear in multiple 'forums' - for instance, a thread called "Steam trains on the London Underground" would appear in the London, Transport and History forums. Forums as overlapping circles in a Venn diagram, instead of isolated islands as they are now. This is a half-way solution between forums and user-generated tags. Although XF could be made to work like this with redirects, I think that such a structure would need to be taken account of from the start.

Exactly what I suggested as a categorisation tool: Use one categorisation tool and not more.

I want my users to self-categorize their threads so that their thread can be grouped to other threads. Ideally other users can also categorize the threads, and they can vote for and against a categorization. I don't care how the categorization is called: prefixes, tags, forums. Users should do that (giving a prefix to a thread, tagging a thread, creating a thread within a special forum and therein categorize it with the forum title). The big problem lies that threads can be mis-categorized! So a prefix should be renamed, or if you use tags, the tags should be changed. Or if you use forums, you have to move the thread to another forum. Now it is rather unfair to the prefixes that with the admin-categorization "forums" you have multiple sub-categorization possibilities where the prefixes only have one level of categorization :) With sub-prefixes you can build your whole community with just one forum. Think out of the box :)

Can you start a thread and pull all your ideas in there.
I'd like to "knock around" this idea.
It is very similar to how I view things.

One level type of categorization. Hmmmm.
FWIW, I don't think Thread Prefixes is against your idea.
I think of thread prefixes as more of a state of a thread (unconfirmed, fixed, confirmed bug).

I think just one categorization system would fail. I think there must be tweaks of that system that are better.
The UI would need to be easy too. End users are lazy too. In some respects, a lower volume community could really love it though. Hmmmm.

Start a thread !

Looks great.
xenforo.thread.prefixes.webp

I never use that.
accessing filtering options at the bottom of the page feels weird.
But I just looked and it was there.
I think 90% of average users won't look there.
I agree with this
BUt at least for my boards i will put this to top where prefixes are available (like vb.org or vbgo)

(if it's possible:D )

Attachments

• vbgo.webp
    vbgo.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 67
For a site with say 6 or less, they may want them permanently displayed at the top.
[x] [All] [ ]Filter1 [ ]Filter2 [ ]Filter3 [ ]Filter4
When you uncheck all, then nothing shows.
Then the user can click what they want :)

FWIW, I think a "Filter Bar" location made by xenforo would be helpful, or as I have drawn a Filter Tab.

Top Bottom