Implemented Thread Prefix

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
They're used on my board in a politics discussion area to mark threads that are on very controversial topics. I also use them in my board support area to mark what type of issue the user is experiencing. I can live without, but they are certainly very nice to have.

I can't imagine I would ever use thread prefixes so no from me.

Really? I can not imagine not having them at this point, the better the system gets the more I use it... It's let me merge many forums into one at this point by using prefixes to describe the thread content... For example I used to have a General News, World News, U.S. News, etc etc forum all seperated because people would just jumble it all together, but then when prefixes became a little more user friendly I merged everything into a single news forum and required a prefix.

I also use them for staff members to make posts Admins and Mods can use the Staff Notice Prefix so people know that it's probably important to look at.

12f8c4ac45294a96aca9ac6.png

Thread prefixes are planned :)

Yes from me! prefixes are extremely useful in the small community i'm running. I run a small site for a spanish artist and when there is a new video or photo, people use the prefix "VIDEO" or "PHOTO"... Out of, let's say, 25 unread messages, people always go to the ones that say photo o video for the obvious reason: they want to see the new photo or video first.... I also have prefixes like "Interview", "Coming soon!", etc... They look very attractive in the thread list and people can pick the ones they want to read first (from the list of unread messages) just by the prefix...

I can't imagine switching from vB without having prefixes. Please, bring back the prefixes, at least as a mod...

pre.webp

I would not mind seeing thread prefixes, but I rather see a smarter system, something that uses the pros from both tags and prefix ..
Hm I really think those are two different things. Unless you are thinking of something different than I am.

+1 They are very useful for at least Buy and Sell Forum. Just so much easier to have WB, FS, FT prefixes than creating separate forums. But apart from that I don;t like excessive use

I can't imagine I would ever use thread prefixes so no from me.

Well you could definitely use them here on this website, in THIS forum. Instead of adding "[SUGGESTION]" and "[Already Exists]", etc, you could just apply a prefix.

I also think everyone begins mixing up other features. Prefix is a prefix, something to add before a thread title. Suffix is a suffix(although no one mentioned that), something to add after a thread title. Labels are labels, something you can label your threads with, kind of like a category. For instance you could have a label called "Sci-Fi" which would be added as label to every thread that you want to be able to group as sci-fi. Tags are tags, words that describe the individual thread. For instance you could have tags like "Star", "Trek", "Captain", "Janeway", "Klingons", "Starship", "Voyager", "Enterprise", "Future", "Space", "DVD", etc. Aswell as a label "Sci-Fi". And even a prefix of "Selling:" since he's obviously trying to sell a Star Trek Voyager DVD box :P

You could make use of all systems on the same forum but I think it would get very complicated and confusing. And I'm aware that everyone would probably define Prefix, Label and Tag differently. However, this thread was about prefixes so let's discuss that!

I'm all for prefixes, as said it could be used quite efficiently on this forum and I'd have several uses for it myself.

I utilise Post Icons in a manner similar to how others here are using Thread Prefixes, with about 60 post icons and a 90x90 logo for each. On my forumhome, forumindex and searchindex I show the icon rather than the standard thread image (or user avatar in the case of XF).

Rather than Thread Prefixes, or Post Icons, XF could offer a hybrid of the two which could be called "Thread Categories". Each Thread Category could be assigned an icon, and this could be shown next to the thread instead of the avatar of the user who created the thread (via an admin option).

It would be great if the importer could migrate both thread prefixes and post icons to the new system, if implemented.

I also will throw another vote in there for Thread prefixes. I currently use them in two ways, one is in my announcement forum, I have different prefixes that helps the members know whether it's something major or minor the site is going through.

The other way I use them is for my prayer request area. My members can pick from a varied choices and this helps my other members know their issues/problems quicker.

If not in the core, then a mod would do as well... :)

Jamie

I use prefixes in our classifieds section. A prefix is required to denote which US state something is being offered for sale.

Thread Pre-Fixes are great and I could do with them!! Not gonna grumble though, as they aren't essential but would be nice to have them!! It does help some forums look that bit more clean, and I could use them in a few sections of my website to cut down on the amount of boards I have!!

i must say, i do like the way it's implemented in google mail... they use the label concept instead of the prefix... both with a similar purpose in mind...

bad things about xf is not having prefix and tags in the first place, but i guess kier and mike will implement this in next-next release, cause its one of main feature for forum.
must-have

Top Bottom