Implemented 'There already is a new reply. Please review your answer' / Live reply

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The vBulletin mod Live Topic just displays X posts on the page then removes older posts from the top of the page to make room for the new posts that appear at the bottom. I like this method, it's better than live updating the pagination.

The only way to implement this properly is to do it with long polling, or a similar pseudo-push technology. It's already something I'm investigating, but people need to be aware that a sure way to get kicked off a shared host is to try long polling with an Apache or IIS server - long polling needs a very specific server running alongside your main webserver (on the same computer is fine) that is optimised for large numbers of relatively dormant open requests - something that Apache is not at all.

people need to be aware that a sure way to get kicked off a shared host is to try long polling with an Apache or IIS server
In that case hopefully it's something which could be disabled as a lot of small forums use shared servers.

Does XenForo monitor server loads out of the box? If not, how much server load would it take to monitor the server load and adjust it as required? I'm hoping it'll be negligible.

If you can create it to maybe reduce the calls to the server if server load is above a setting, it'll help instead of just disabling it. Of course, disabling it is something that needs to be implemented also.

As long as this can be done with switches for individual page nodes I'm 100% for it. I wouldn't want it if it was setup as a global permission either on or off. Some conversation topics demand the fluidity in a conversation that this would offer (help my server just crashed what do I do type of questions), but for the off-topic areas of the board and things that aren't the kind of thing that need immediate return postings ( OMG I bought a new guitar pick ) I would say a page refresh would suffice as you can refresh the page without losing the content of you quick edit so I would say also if this was to actually be added, The full editor should just use the preview button and upon generation of the preview also load all the interim posts made above to simulate the inline feeling of a flowing conversation so one may adjust their post as would make the best cognitive sense. As for the quick editor I would suggest a button right above the breadBoxBottom section floating right. So it can be found easily without adding clutter to the button cluster below the quick editor as I am fond of it's minimalist look and personally any more buttons would just take away from the point. Just my 2-c, thanks for your time.

NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!

Not if you want people like me posting on your site at any rate.

Don't ever tell me to "review my answer", or else I'll "review" it by logging out and never coming back.

Incidentally that also applies to any site that has those "The administrator requires you to read the rules" warning messages, and then when you do there's a button that won't let you move off the page until it counts down. There's a faster solution - the "X" button - and I won't be back.

Me, and thousands like me. Don't do it. Ok?

Don't ever tell me to "review my answer", or else I'll "review" it by logging out and never coming back.

Incidentally that also applies to any site that has those "The administrator requires you to read the rules" warning messages, and then when you do there's a button that won't let you move off the page until it counts down. There's a faster solution - the "X" button - and I won't be back.

Me, and thousands like me. Don't do it. Ok?
Well, for thousands of you, there's thousands of us who do want this feature. ;)

This would be a fantastic thing to have in cases where you're writing a large reply and someone posts something else. Probably wouldn't be great for fast-moving threads, but for a mildly active board, it saves from multiple posts or having to go back and edit a post to include a possible response to a post.

When you hit post reply, as a properly implemented feature, it should simply show new content added since your last refresh along with the notice. You have the choice of amending your post if it's out of context or just hitting post reply again.

I don't really see why that would deter anyone from posting on a forum but each to their own :)

By all means show me updated content if it's possible to do that with AJAX or something without interrupting my reply.

I'm sure it works for some sites. I don't like it and a lot of people don't either. Constantly discouraging people from posting seems counter-productive to me. If sites don't want people to post, ban them! Easy enough. They'll leave soon enough anyhow if you make life awkward for them.

If I post a comment on Facebook it doesn't warn me that someone else has commented and I "may want to review my post." How condescending.

Perhaps it's in the wording but it winds me up no end.

Check out http://www.ninjapost.com they do real time forum updating in threads.

They are using Jetty server for the server push, its keeping a POST request Open and if any updates come its updated.its a specific kind of server. Shared hosting environment would not have this. A basic AJAX based system is possible, but would get messy depending on the setup for connections. Apache server would fail easily for an active site. At minimum i think Nginx can do push and handle the connections. But a specific server like Orbited would be of more advantage.

Hi

I'm sorry about bringing up an old thread but am interested in this feature. In particular, I'd like to be able to set a featured thread to be updated "real time." After a set time (24 hrs), then the thread is no longer updated through AJAX.

Is there a mod or was it built in.... Or .... Does it need coding by an expert?

The only way to implement this properly is to do it with long polling, or a similar pseudo-push technology. It's already something I'm investigating, but people need to be aware that a sure way to get kicked off a shared host is to try long polling with an Apache or IIS server - long polling needs a very specific server running alongside your main webserver (on the same computer is fine) that is optimised for large numbers of relatively dormant open requests - something that Apache is not at all.
Something like Tornado? http://www.tornadoweb.org/

Top Bottom