Implemented 'There already is a new reply. Please review your answer' / Live reply

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm not sure about this. It does seem like a great feature to have, but could also give one a headache if the thread receives a lot of replies while you are typing yours. Making it Forum selectable by Admins may be a good solution.

I'm not sure about this. It does seem like a great feature to have, but could also give one a headache if the thread receives a lot of replies while you are typing yours. Make it Forum selectable by Admins may be a pretty good solution.
If it works like Live Topic and is implemented into the core it'd be fine. If you have major activity on a thread, fetching new posts can be less server-intensive than having 50-60 users refreshing constantly until a reply is made :)

If this like Facebook Wall post features or better with not being server intensive, then I am for this suggestion. :cool:

How about the reply text box be on top of the thread above the newest post. ya? :eek:

Reverse Posting (link)

If there is a well implemented "Push" API, this could be easily included as either 3rd party extension or as a part of the core product without significantly affecting server load.

~Tim

I also want to throw my two cents in about a feature like LiveTopic being standard for XenForo. It's clearly the most popular feature on our current forums which run vb, and if such a feature were standard in XenForo, would go a long way toward getting us to make the switch.

One of the forums I admin running on SMF has this feature and it's very popular with most users. Aside from helping keep duplicate content to a minimum it also stops out of context replies which in turn leads to less quoting.

I've just closed 3 other threads on the same subject as we can keep discussion to this thread.

For the record, this is standard in phpBB but they don't use AJAX for posting replies.

I've just closed 3 other threads on the same subject as we can keep discussion to this thread.

For the record, this is standard in phpBB but they don't use AJAX for posting replies.

Hmm, my suggestion was nothing like this. This suggestion is LIVE updates of a thread. My suggestion was an alert about new posts when posting(i.e. NOT live). Ohwell.

This suggestion is quite good aswell. As long as the performance doesn't take a major hit for it.

I would love this. But is this feasible for a very active site?
Depends on how you define “very active.” I've tried this with vBulletin 3 (there’s a plugin for that) on a BBS with about 1,500 active members and it worked pretty smoothly and had no serious impact on our servers.
Maybe a board with over 10,000 active members would have issues though …

Hmm, my suggestion was nothing like this. This suggestion is LIVE updates of a thread. My suggestion was an alert about new posts when posting(i.e. NOT live). Ohwell.
Sorry about that.

Now I understand the difference between your suggestion and this one I've re-opened your thread :)

Sorry for bumping an old suggestion but did this get approval/disapproval from the devs at all?

It's a feature I've been looking for.

This is actually a pretty good suggestion. The key thing is to limit checks for replies to say, once per 30 secs and it pulls all the replies made within the last 30 seconds down. This means that there isn't a constant bombardment of the server for latest replies every 5 seconds and still, 30 seconds is quick enough for most people.

A simple AJAX call would be sufficient.

But I agree, it would be good to be able to enable / disable this at either config time or according to server load, so if server load gets high, it returns a status that tells the webpage not to request again for say, 5 minutes or so.

I couldn't agree more with this, if you have to load everything such as header, css, js again, it's a waste of time, why not just use a simple AJAX function to return an JSON object, then use the simple slide function that you already use to insert it.

Purrrfect. :)

The only downfall I could see would be with pagination, that would take a bit of effort & time.

Top Bottom