The new "New" icon

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Just noticed the new "New" icon in posts.

I have to say it's a huge improvement on the old one <thumbsup>

How does it fit within the overall width of the site though?
Quite curious to see how it works as it sort of "wraps" around the edge.

It looks really good though.

Yes I agree it is an improvement. The dashed (instead of dotted) separation above signatures is too.

Nice to see that layout updates actually improve the look, instead of worsen it, like with some other software.

Unfortunately, there is a problem with the new icon, which I discovered just before I had to go out this evening.

Take a look at a new message in a conversation.

Screen shot 2010-09-13 at 23.10.16.webp

Oops.

I may have to think about moving the New indicator to the LEFT of messages.

It's 3 pixels high and 4 pixels wide and is controlled via the nested span tag after .newIndicator - just in case you were after specifics.

It's used to create the wrap-around :)

Thanks for measuring the pixels :p

I just think it would look nicer (lean & clean) without the "web 2.0 wrapper".

I've moved it to the left - I think it actually looks pretty good...

To be honest, I don't think it looks so good on the left. For me it is now in the way of the cleanliness that makes XF so great. The blue indicator on the left is too much 'in your face' and gets in the way of an easy reading of the postings/thread. Just focus your eyes on the content area in a thread... when they are lots of blue indicators on the left... your eyes tend to be distracted by it. But... maybe it needs some getting used to as well. Having said that I still prefer them on the right... at that position they are functional and at the same time not in the way of easy reading.

PS: and on the right it also solves the problem that it now looks like the [new] is related to the avatar/member for some people.

I liked it better on the right side too :)

That's why I asked if it would be possible to use different layouts for posts and private conversations. It was good like it was in posts.

the position where the "New icon" was previously was just fine (when it had the golden color).
Just the previous golden-color was not fine to read the white-colored text on.

I would suggest put it back to the location where it was previously when it was gold colored.

The blue color is perfect now !
The 3px by 4px wrapper is [No Thanks]

Top Bottom