• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

TaigaChat - AJAX shoutbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been discussed already... if so I apologize... and would appreciate the link or links where it has been discussed... to wit:

Hey D/I what about incorporating the Ignore Member feature settings (aptly defined here by Floris) to work even in TaigaChat?

That would be VERY cool, for T/C to check the Ignore Member table.

I realize that T/C is prolly already rather resource intensive, but maybe a little Q & A between you and the many coderbrains here (and possibly some input from K & M) it could be done smoothly without too much overhead.

I'm wondering what other readers here would think about this idea as well.

I KNOW my members would appreciate this feature, and as Spock might say, it's: Logical...

...since if someone has already said they don't want to read what this person is saying in forum posts, it's HIGHLY LIKELY that they danged sure don't want to see their posts in the chat either.

I currently have several users for whom the current INability to be able to ignore a particular person is keeping them away from using the T/C box and we really miss their contributions to our training chats!

As the Ignore feature matures... that "ignore reach" could possibly be extended to chat comments where a shout posted by another member, when addressing an ignored person, would ALSO be ignored.

Whaddya say? I think it would bump T/C up a few notches (maybe quite a few) in the ShoutBox Best of Breed competitions!

This may have been discussed already... if so I apologize... and would appreciate the link or links where it has been discussed... to wit:

Hey D/I what about incorporating the Ignore Member feature settings (aptly defined here by Floris) to work even in TaigaChat?

That would be VERY cool, for T/C to check the Ignore Member table.

I realize that T/C is prolly already rather resource intensive, but maybe a little Q & A between you and the many coderbrains here (and possibly some input from K & M) it could be done smoothly without too much overhead.

I'm wondering what other readers here would think about this idea as well.

I KNOW my members would appreciate this feature, and as Spock might say, it's: Logical...

...since if someone has already said they don't want to read what this person is saying in forum posts, it's HIGHLY LIKELY that they danged sure don't want to see their posts in the chat either.

I currently have several users for whom the current INability to be able to ignore a particular person is keeping them away from using the T/C box and we really miss their contributions to our training chats!

As the Ignore feature matures... that "ignore reach" could possibly be extended to chat comments where a shout posted by another member, when addressing an ignored person, would ALSO be ignored.

Whaddya say? I think it would bump T/C up a few notches (maybe quite a few) in the ShoutBox Best of Breed competitions!

If the ignore system is a simple lookup table (and 90% likely it is), it can and will be supported with little to no overhead :)

The "ignore reach" you speak of however would be difficult to implement properly and I can't really see the purpose of it

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod man, I was real close to using an IRC channel until I stumbled upon this add-on. We're using it as a "chat room" instead of an old school chat box and everyone I've showed it to thus far says they love it.

We're going live on Friday this coming week so I've only let about 10 people in so far who are helping us get all our content up. I'm falling in love with xenforo....it would have taken me months to deploy a site like this on vBulletin 3.x, we're going to do it in 2 weeks thanks to xen and all these great add-ons.

I'll be adding a few things to this for my own site btw, when I get them in a less hacky format I'll make sure to come back and upload them for others if that's okay with you dark. ;)

If the ignore system is a simple lookup table (and 90% likely it is), it can and will be supported with little to no overhead :)
Thanks very much for responding, D/I!

Re: your optimism about the first requested functionality: GREAT! I do think it would a logical addition to the software for it to participate in that important new XF function which helps forum users set boundaries of interaction with other forum members by their own choice.

I consider this particularly important in one of my forums which deals with issues of adult sexuality education for men and women members... some who may have suffered severe debilitating sexual trauma. That may seem like an extreme case but I can tell you there are a surprisingly large percentage of the population, regardless of gender, who have indeed been traumatized in that manner.

The "ignore reach" you speak of however would be difficult to implement properly
Well maybe we can help you find some help around here. :)

and I can't really see the purpose of it
To me it's a logical extension of the first function described in this post.
Please take another look at Floris' comprehensive operational definition of, in effect: ignore other-member-x in ALL instances of activity in the forum.

Perhaps I didn't explain it well.
If a member wants to ignore another members' posts no matter where they might run into such in the forum, that to me would logically include (ideally as an OPTION as it relates to chatting in a shoutbox) any posts or chats where someone is addressing that person as well.

Perhaps Floris states the extreme case, but that helps define the outer boundary of the ignore scope.

If I don't want to read Ignoramus' posts or threads, and I don't want to read his/her shouts in the chats, I likewise may not want to read the other half of any statements made TO that person I want to ignore...

In fact just reading half of such a dialogue might be rather confusing, or worse.

In effect, I'm saying "you" can talk to Ignoramus if you want, but I don't want to hear what they have to say, and I likewise don't want to hear the other half of any discussion being addressed to them by name, either!

Otherwise, in fact, it wouldn't really be a complete Ignore, only a partial one (again, providing this as an option does indeed make sense to me).

All of that said... one step at a time, eh?

I'm very glad you're willing (and I personally think it prudent) to give users the option to ignore shouts made by some other particular member.

Thanks again for your consideration.
HJ

If a member wants to ignore another members' posts no matter where they might run into such in the forum, that to me would logically include (ideally as an OPTION as it relates to chatting in a shoutbox) any posts or chats where someone is addressing that person as well.

The problem is how to identify that someone is being addressed as there is no quotes involved and it would be impossible to search for usernames being used in a message due to performance and human (rarely would a full username be used) constraints.

Sorry but I need to know how to edit the dark_taigacha.css template. as stated above, I need to make the chat box show "181818" as the background color.

I have read over the darn file over and over but I cant seem to figure out where or what to change to make it happen. I am a CSS Noob :)

Sorry but I need to know how to edit the dark_taigacha.css template. as stated above, I need to make the chat box show "181818" as the background color.

I have read over the darn file over and over but I cant seem to figure out where or what to change to make it happen. I am a CSS Noob :)

Well I just figured it out :) I simply replaced the Background: @whatever to Background: 181818

The problem is how to identify that someone is being addressed as there is no quotes involved and it would be impossible to search for usernames being used in a message due to performance and human (rarely would a full username be used) constraints.
vgp's! Like I said just being able to ignore when that person is speaking is a big step in the right direction, and I look forward to its implementation. :)

Hi there, i currently have TaigaChat installed on my forum and i love it!! I do have a couple of suggestions however. When selecting the colour bbcode, is there a way to do this so all you text will be that colour until you un-click the button, rather than you having to manually type in the colour everytime?

Also is there any chance of sending a shoutbox private message to people instead of starting a conversation?

I do not expect you to implement these suggestions but a reply to say why you can/cannot you be much appreciated.

Hi there, i currently have TaigaChat installed on my forum and i love it!! I do have a couple of suggestions however. When selecting the colour bbcode, is there a way to do this so all you text will be that colour until you un-click the button, rather than you having to manually type in the colour everytime?

I know what you're after here, my members used to make extensive use of persistent formatting on my old vB4 shoutbox. It's low priority but something I will probably add eventually.

Also is there any chance of sending a shoutbox private message to people instead of starting a conversation?

I don't really see how that would work or why it would be needed

I know what you're after here, my members used to make extensive use of persistent formatting on my old vB4 shoutbox. It's low priority but something I will probably add eventually.

Thank you, it is something that the members on my forum wanted, i am not too fussed myself but if you are able to add it then great!!

I don't really see how that would work or why it would be needed

It is just that if someone wants to message you privately it is quicker to do it in a message over the shoutbox rather than start a convo. No worries, it is just a little thing and convo is fine.

I'd love to have an option for design layout:

alt background 1 {
[smallavatar] [username] [light_timestamp] \n
the msg by the user }

alt backgrouns 2 {
[smallavatar] [username] [light_timestamp] \n
the msg by the user }
This way it's easier to recognize what's by who, there's still room for a timestamp, and there's more consistency.

+1 please... Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom