• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

TaigaChat - AJAX shoutbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure quite what you mean... the daily cleanup cron consists of code which does the archival to thread, followed by truncating the table down to 1000 rows. Both processes are governed by the same cron settings you have edited.
Thanks again for the detailed answers item by item!

When you say the "table" gets truncated down to the last 1000 rows, in non-coder English does that mean that the last 1000 posts to the chat box are retained in the chatbox and remain visible? I think that's what you mean but want to be sure.

Assuming pending your confirmation that that IS the case, when the auto archiver runs the NEXT time (assuming it's been set to run every 24 hours), if there has been little or no usage of the Chatbox, will some or all of that 1000 last rows get auto-archived AGAIN?

If that is the case, how do I change that "retain last 1000 rows after archiving" to "retain last ZERO rows after archiving"? (Breadcrumb path to where this gets done would be very much appreciated!).

I ask this because that double posting at archiving would result in duplicate content being posted to my forum and that duplicate content would be ANATHEMA to Search engine crawlers and could seriously affect our Search Engine ranking (which, considering the relatively small size of our site and forums is quite good! - appearing between pages 1 and 3 for our primary keywords in Google!).

Notwithstanding that issue (and maybe a few odds and ends), our community LOVES TaigaChat, and we appreciate your diligent support!

PS: A VERY nice feature would be that when prior content DOES get archived to a specified thread and the ShoutBox gets cleared of those posts, a LINK to that archived content gets posted in the ShoutBox. That was the way our ShoutBox in our v(choke)B forum worked and it made it SO easy for users to locate the archived content!

Any chance of adding such a feature? I'd be very happy to make a donation for that improvement.

Again, thanks for a great product and for your diligent support of it.

When you say the "table" gets truncated down to the last 1000 rows, in non-coder English does that mean that the last 1000 posts to the chat box are retained in the chatbox and remain visible? I think that's what you mean but want to be sure.

If you have 1000 messages set to be shown in the shoutbox, yes. 1000 was chosen as the intention was that no more than 100 or so messages at the most are visible in the shoutbox.

Assuming pending your confirmation that that IS the case, when the auto archiver runs the NEXT time (assuming it's been set to run every 24 hours), if there has been little or no usage of the Chatbox, will some or all of that 1000 last rows get auto-archived AGAIN?

If that is the case, how do I change that "retain last 1000 rows after archiving" to "retain last ZERO rows after archiving"?

I ask this because that double posting at archiving would result in duplicate content being posted to my forum and that duplicate content would be ANATHEMA to Search engine crawlers and could seriously affect our Search Engine ranking (which, considering the relatively small size of our site and forums is quite good! - appearing between pages 1 and 3 for our primary keywords in Google!).

Notwithstanding that issue (and maybe a few odds and ends), our community LOVES TaigaChat, and we appreciate your diligent support!

It's designed to post messages from the last 24 hours, which is an independent comparison to the 1000 rows. Therefore no duplicate content is possible.

PS: A VERY nice feature would be that when prior content DOES get archived to a specified thread and the ShoutBox gets cleared of those posts, a LINK to that archived content gets posted in the ShoutBox. That was the way our ShoutBox in our v(choke)B forum worked and it made it SO easy for users to locate the archived content!

Any chance of adding such a feature? I'd be very happy to make a donation for that improvement.

Again, thanks for a great product and for your diligent support of it.

Will add this as an option :)

Edit the templates
To build upon the already high level of ease-of-use in XenForo, I would recommend this being an option in the control panel. I just installed the XenStaff add-on which conveniently had this function built in. Template-editing should hardly be needed anymore, imo. It also makes future upgrading a more time consuming task.

To build upon the already high level of ease-of-use in XenForo, I would recommend this being an option in the control panel. I just installed the XenStaff add-on which conveniently had this function built in. Template-editing should hardly be needed anymore, imo. It also makes future upgrading a more time consuming task.
As a non-coder, I agree 100%!!! Especially since various settings for a given app are scattered about the whole ACP with no clearly apparent links between them for any given app.

This is incredibly time-consuming and frustrating, not mention embarrassing for having to keep asking "What's the breadcrumb path to do x, y, or z..." rather than going to a single page in the ACP for a given app that may not have all of the controls on that page, but at LEAST having a LINK to ALL areas that affect a given app.

As a non-coder XF supporter and license holder, this is by far the greatest and most frustrating weakness of an otherwise clearly superior product.

It's great that Floris and others provide plugins to help with this but imho it should be integral to the core product for there to be relational links for all elements of a given app or plug-in.

I must say..this is one of the best shout boxes i have ever used. I have been building websites since 1996 and have used almost everything you can use to build a website and XenForo along with this shout box is the best! So A+++++ for this awesome work.

Well, that was a piece of cake to install. Top marks.

I shall donate in a few weeks when my next ad revenue arrives. Well worth it. :)

A question that struck me whilst ironing this morning (these things happen at odd times) - does the chat have a swear/badword filter?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

It uses the same word censor as the forum.

Excellent.

I've given a couple of my moderators a quickie preview of it (as a replacement for IP.Chat) and they like it - especially that you can add it pretty much anywhere on the site and the conversation is public (we've had problems with people abusing chat because it is currently "behind closed doors"!).

Kudos Darkimortal - I'll pop a donation your way next week when I'm back from my hols. :)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom