Duplicate [Suggestion] Dis - Like

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
As far as this being "philosophy" or a "vision", there is no argument for that. It's like playing the "Because I said so" card. You can call it whatever you want, whether philosophy, vision, or emotion (as I called it earlier), but it doesn't make business sense, that's all.

Im sorry but i have to say again that there are principles and philosophies hidden in xenForo. If you can't see it maybe you have this whole attitude of "hey lets please everyone" running around in your head to make an extra buck. Look at the other software where they implemented that model and see where it got them.

Sometimes you can't scream loud enough in this forum to be heard over all of the fanboy buzz. I've seen this same criticism all over the web in other forums discussing XF.
:rolleyes:

Oh brother. Just because people are excited about a product, that makes them "fanboys".

Perhaps the responses have been too categorical. The desire for a dislike button has been noted. It might be something to consider for a future version, but there are many things that we feel are higher priority.

A lot of consideration would need to be taken to figure out how to even implement something like that, while mitigating the potential issues or abuse. I've seen numerous reports of negative reputation systems getting out of hand.

Perhaps the responses have been too categorical. The desire for a dislike button has been noted. It might be something to consider for a future version, but there are many things that we feel are higher priority.

A lot of consideration would need to be taken to figure out how to even implement something like that, while mitigating the potential issues or abuse. I've seen numerous reports of negative reputation systems getting out of hand.

Thank you!

Maybe there is a hope

i take it personally because i am being shown that i am not trusted to know what will work for my users. its implied that i am somehow naive and lacking 'common sense'. it is insulting that other people somehow know better 'the aim of my social network'.
its insulting and condescending, and thus i take it personally.
there are opportunities to do some great things if there were an ability to admin buttons; instead im stuck with somebody elses vision and a facebook 'like' button.
Why take/make it so personal? It has nothing to do with anyones abilities. This is a feature that has a big potential to uproar the social aim of your network. That is just a fact. So why include this in a social package by default? I totally understand the reasoning behind it. I also understand that people do want/need it, for their own good reasons. But XenForo is about a vision, that has been made perfectly clear by now the last 3 weeks. If you need something that doesn't fit into this vision, it offers you the option to extend it's functionality by using Plugins. So you still get what you want.

i take it personally because i am being shown that i am not trusted to know what will work for my users. its implied that i am somehow naive and lacking 'common sense'. it is insulting that other people somehow know better 'the aim of my social network'.
its insulting and condescending, and thus i take it personally.
there are opportunities to do some great things if there were an ability to admin buttons; instead im stuck with somebody elses vision and a facebook 'like' button.
It actually isn't but i can see why you may think so.

Mike said it is in consideration so i think we should just close this since it's basically back and forth banter now.

For my part, I agree with Kier's view on this, and I'd never have a "dislike" option on my site. I have the "Thanks" hack at the moment (which I have recently renamed to "Like") and although there is a similar Groan" hack (that could function as a DisLike) I wouldn't have that.

BUT reading this thread I can see that some people do feel strongly that they want the option - so I'd have no problem if such an option was included in a future version, as long as it could be turned off (and ideally was off by default).

I'm generally against endless options in the AdminCP, but I think this situation may be one where it could be necessary.

Maybe pull a digg and have a thumbs up thumbs down and have a percent shown like the code canyon version http://codecanyon.net/item/thumbsup/50411 I think this could solve the problem. Its small and would not take up any space. Of course I mean make your own version of it that would work for xenforo. Everyone seems to following the facebook ideas when making social media software. This is a some what more original idea that could replace the standard like system idk just putting it on the tabletrying to keep options.

I honestly don't see a problem with adding "dislike" functionality, leaving it off by default, and letting admins decide how they want to run their boards.
It's not just a question of adding a feature and let the admin decide I think, keep it simple. If they don't want to add a dislike button, they have good arguments to back it up, and adding everything with an on/off switch makes the software bloated, which we all gotta agree vB is.

Adding to this, I gotta confess some features I wanted in the past, ended up not being that good in the end.

The problems with flaming I see on my boards with a dislike button, are all solvable by having a chat with the members. Something else I learned troughout these years, is that forums don't flourish without some tension.

A Dislike option can be positive.

It would be handy if we had the option to add Like (UP) / Dislike (DOWN) on a per-forum basis.

People love helping others. It's the basic building block of a "social community".
Why not empower them by making the tools available so that they can help create a better community?

For example, the Suggestions forum...
it's one-sided - we can't really gauge how many people Dislike an idea.

Yes, we can assume that x-amount of people don't like it based on the "negative" comments but that doesn't really help; some people will Like something and still provide a "negative" comment ... others will just ignore (why waste your energy right?)

Many people read and never leave a comment. Making it easy for people to participate will promote growth.

Oooh, oooh, 125 Likes .... crap it has 129 Dislikes

If we had such a feature in the Suggestions forum, one could easily sort by most important (Likes-Dislike=important) and build from there

Abuse? we can always force everyone to leave a comment when clicking Dislike.
We will always have some bad apples (they come and go) - but the good guys will always win.

thank for being more eloquent than myself.
you have said what i have tried to say numerous times.
there is a bigger picture beyond 'dislike', and with a little bit of love the 'like button' system could be leveraged into something both very powerful and very unique to xenforo.
whats really got me down is the myopic view that anything other than the default facebook 'like' is bloat, and has no potential for anybody beyond the theync crowd.
A Dislike option can be positive.

It would be handy if we had the option to add Like (UP) / Dislike (DOWN) on a per-forum basis.

People love helping others. It's the basic building block of a "social community".
Why not empower them by making the tools available so that they can help create a better community?

For example, the Suggestions forum...
it's one-sided - we can't really gauge how many people Dislike an idea.

Yes, we can assume that x-amount of people don't like it based on the "negative" comments but that doesn't really help; some people will Like something and still provide a "negative" comment ... others will just ignore (why waste your energy right?)

Many people read and never leave a comment. Making it easy for people to participate will promote growth.

Oooh, oooh, 125 Likes .... crap it has 129 Dislikes

If we had such a feature in the Suggestions forum, one could easily sort by most important (Likes-Dislike=important) and build from there

Abuse? we can always force everyone to leave a comment when clicking Dislike.
We will always have some bad apples (they come and go) - but the good guys will always win.

don't forget to like the first post if you want this, they are using the likes to gauge interest in a suggested feature :)

My input/opinions:
  • For general use: public Like with no dis-like works best, any dis-likes would cause less than positive feelings
  • For voting on an idea: private or public thumbs up/down
  • For evaluations of products & services: multiple question part survey which can only be filled out once a product is purchased, not random people that have not bought. This could apply to a forum where people are automatically sent a survey when post #100 is made, and again at post #1000. Amazon only lets people comment on things bought through them for instance, it worked that way at one time at least. And for that reason their comments/rating are especially of interest to me.
Obviously the intent of xf is for general use, and not a vote up/down system, or survey system.

Instead of a dislike option, I'd just like the ability to "hide" a post, thread, or a person altogether. To me, that's better than a dislike button, and there would be less riots.

Top Bottom