Star Trek Into Darkness

I just never got into this new startrek (we've gone all Hollywood crap). I think I like to remember it with Patrick Stewart and the rest of them which suited their roles unlike what this will turn out and like and how dreadful the last startrek with this cast turned out like. It's hideously bad.
Are you kidding me? You poor children whose first ST experience was the wimpy TNG series, watered down and made lefty sweet.

Are you kidding me? You poor children whose first ST experience was the wimpy TNG series, watered down and made lefty sweet.

Difficult to understand this. I was watching Star Trek in the 60s. The original vision was very "lefty" - ie
anti-racist - difference races sharing the universe in mutual respect;
fairness and leadership by justice - the captain frequently questions himself;
anti-sexist - a bit weak on this as all the leading characters are men but this was before the Women's Movement got going and some episodes had strong female characters . Still there was less gross sexism, females were not merely glossy lumps of flesh;
cooperation, emphasised as much as competition.

530738_337304532993865_190630504327936_906440_335835669_n.webp

Let's look at the trailer for the last good trek movie to compare:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Notice the heavy moral and ethical overtones.

Jake, after the reboot there are no heavy moral and ethical standards left within the federation (this new franchise). And most of the technobubble that I so heartly hated is also gone. :( Instead of this we got new young faces, a lot of crazy fast cuts and other modern stuff. The Times change.

I liked the old movies/tv-shows very much, but I do not want so see new scenes with the old (and now much older) crews. Btw., interesting article.

It's shaping up to be a good drama. The first teaser was pure action. The newest teaser is all about character drama.

Still no sign of space travel, discovery, moral and ethical ideals, sociopolitical commentary, or thinking. So far I see no sign of trek in this latest movie.
I see this criticism on websites all the time, and I don't understand it. Star Trek, particularly the movies, were never just about these things. There was as much a focus on adventure as there was on any of this, and the trailers generally played that part up. (I remember the promos for the Next Generation when it was on the air featured nothing but explosions.) When you actually think about the original films, they never made any sociopolitical commentary until the third movie. Never explored anything new until the fifth. And never made much of an impact when they did. In nine films, they encountered a total of four new life forms, three of which showed up on Earths front door, not via exploration. The fourth due to a hijacking. Star Trek movies haven't always been about anything the series itself was known for, and usually to their detriment. The new movies are as much Star Trek as anything's ever been, expect they have flashier trailers. That's about the only difference, ignoring the modern day movie pacing.

That aside, everything we've been hearing about this new film indicates that it will explore the whole Gary Mitchell-esque, "can one man be too powerful" thing.

That aside, everything we've been hearing about this new film indicates that it will explore the whole Gary Mitchell-esque, "can one man be too powerful" thing.

That would be good. We shall see. ST11 was awful. I hope he does better this time around.

You know what really pisses me off about ST11? Starfleet Academy turned into a military institution. Specifically, cadets no longer apply to join the academy, they enlist. I don't know if anyone else noticed that. Drunk guy in a bar with no future (reboot Kirk), enlist in Starfleet. Boy genius Wesley Crusher, apply for the academy and get rejected the first time. Huge difference.

That would be good. We shall see. ST11 was awful. I hope he does better this time around.

You know what really pisses me off about ST11? Starfleet Academy turned into a military institution. Specifically, cadets no longer apply to join the academy, they enlist. I don't know if anyone else noticed that. Drunk guy in a bar with no future (reboot Kirk), enlist in Starfleet. Boy genius Wesley Crusher, apply for the academy and get rejected the first time. Huge difference.
I'd seen that mentioned before, too. But that would really only be a matter of terminology used, and not necessarily a change in what Starfleet represents. Remember, Wesley passed all the knowledge-based portions of the exam, but still failed in overall scoring. Also remember that Kirk's character, while quirky, was always also meant to be a genius with a dynamic mind. Then there were characters like Nog, who got in without necessarily being the brightest bulbs in the marquee.

Regardless, it's still one of those internet memes that have been clung too a little to rigorously. Rather than a substantive criticism of the content of the film, it's a nitpick over a lighting style that isn't necessarily right or wrong, but a style choice. One I (and quite a few others) happened to like.

Top Bottom