So I guess Post Icons are officially dead?

It took a few minutes but I've quickly become used to having no thread status icon and I don't miss post icons either. All these icons along with forum status icons and their associated icon legend blocks consume real estate that is better filled with content in my view.

As a slight aside it's always amused me that another forum platform has icons and icon legend blocks that bear no reference to each other at all and all on the same page. The joke being that no one has noticed this and it's been like that since 4.0. In my book that demonstrates just how much these things get looked at.

I've never really noticed them until you've brought the point up - that just shows how useless they are. Also, a great alternative to this is thread prefixes, but even these still look 'clunky' in my opinion.

Post icons are OK although I very rarely use them.

Thread icons though I have no idea what they are supposed to be depicting as I have never seen them explained.

Keep XenForo bloat free is my vote.

Thread icons usually depict 2 things, 1st and most importantly if you ever posted in that thread, and second if it is a 'popular' topic (has at least x number of replies). In VB it also shows if the thread has moved.

I think thread icons are useful, but not post icons. However, all the functions of thread icons (hot threads, threads you've posted in, etc.) can be implemented using other visual cues like font color, background color, icons to the right of the title (like the sticky and lock icons), etc. I don't want another column of icons added. Keep it simple and clean. :)

OK you got me... I was kidding... but had I still had a job then hell yeah I would have bought them without thinking... I can always use alternate domains for my site as they get blocked by people's work web filters.

Well this is a shame to hear. We had begun to make plans with our designer to roll this forum out across our network but since we rely on topic icons as filters and a key UI element I guess we are out. I'll definitely keep around and watch in case this changes. I really hope it does as I love this project.

Well this is a shame to hear. We had begun to make plans with our designer to roll this forum out across our network but since we rely on topic icons as filters and a key UI element I guess we are out. I'll definitely keep around and watch in case this changes. I really hope it does as I love this project.
You could always add it yourself, which shouldn't be all that difficult if you're already doing something original with another systems feature.

If they add thread prefixes—which I'm pretty sure is on a todo list—and if thread prefixes allow the admin to insert arbitrary HTML, then thread prefixes could work almost like post icons in that you could have images in thread prefixes.

Being a big fan of post icons I can see why they haven't been included. I prefer the icons not being present the more I browse xenforo. Infact, my mindset about a lot of features have changed which I feel now simply bloat a product and xenforo has done this wonderfully and effectivle in paving away from this.

Once you are used to something for so long you find it hard to look at the way certain implementations or the fact they aren't included but I feel post icons being excluded was now a good move in keeping the whole style/theme consistent.

In anycase, and it's inevitable, someone will create a add-on that will allow post icons. I'm betting it'll be one of the first add-ons by the community we will see released.

In anycase, and it's inevitable, someone will create a add-on that will allow post icons. I'm betting it'll be one of the first add-ons by the community we will see released.
And I'll be the first to turn my nose up at it :p

But you're absolutely right. When you're used to having something for so long...blah...you already said it. I'm not going to repeat it. lol

Being a big fan of post icons I can see why they haven't been included. I prefer the icons not being present the more I browse xenforo. Infact, my mindset about a lot of features have changed which I feel now simply bloat a product and xenforo has done this wonderfully and effectivle in paving away from this.

Once you are used to something for so long you find it hard to look at the way certain implementations or the fact they aren't included but I feel post icons being excluded was now a good move in keeping the whole style/theme consistent.

Once you xen you can go ben.

ben - verb - to return to a state of being once experienced, back.

Top Bottom