Sign-Up confirmation e-mail lands in Spam-folder at Gmail.com

erich37

when somebody registers at my website by using a Gmail.com e-mail-address, the confirmation e-mail lands in the Spam-folder of that person at Gmail.com and also contains a warning message from Gmail.

Gmail-message within the e-mail:
"Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information....."http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=8253

What to do so that the mail does not land in the Spam-folder ?

Many thanks,

I just made the SMTP settings in ACP, but still the mail containing the confirmation-link lands in the Spam-folder of Gmail.com :(

what is the RDNS ? I do not understand......
Ok in simpler words ... your server IP has some sort of name like bla.bla2.myhost.com so you need to call your host so they can change it to mail.mydomain.com
because mail filters lookup the IP where the mail is coming from and if the RDNS doesn't match the domain : flagged as spam ;) (very simplified version :oops:)

So all you have to do is send an Email to your host saying :
"
Please update my RDNS to mail.mydomain.com
Thank you.
"
Hope this helps

You can lookup DNS in both directions let's just say you look up mail.myserver.com and it comes back as 111.111.111.109, if you then look up as 111.111.111.109 it should return mail.myserver.com. It's called a PTR address, and most of the time google (through postini) checks that the PTR record matches the DNS name from your server. If it doesn't it's a good chance it's spam. Email is inherently a trusting system, if your server says you are myhost.com even if you are really myotherhost.com the other mail server will believe you. In our world of spam and viruses though admins have added spam software on top of the mail server (in this case postini) to add some reality checks in place.

Also there is Google apps. and you can use google smtp server.

If your application is not Email heavy then you may want to consider this : http://google.com/a

Free free :D (the standard package) Let me know if you need help setting that up. it involves few tweaks at the DNS... Google documented everything in detail on how to go about setting your DNS.

thanks, but I do not want to let Google control and read my e-mails ;)

But I think you have been correct about the IP being used from my host.....

Not true... your ISP, your Host your hacker neighbor and and ... all have equal chance to read your email.
Google will not risk its reputation, beside .. their employees are spoiled rotten :D I don't think they will risk that :D

They track your searches based on region, and only to improve their business model. They have a very stringent privacy policy. Believe me, most of us here would call them out pretty quickly if they were doing anything unsavory. Anyhow, since you said you have a dedicated, and (no offense) don't really seem to know what you're doing, chances are, it's rather insecure. Unless you're a security wizard, your mail is likely much safer with Google than on your own mail server.

If you do plan to keep your server on your own box, I'd definitely recommend getting all of your records in order, having things like mail.example.com (where example.com is your main website) point to one of your IPs, and maybe even smtp.example.com and pop.example.com, and make sure your mail server is secure. If spammers can find a vulnerability, and they bounce emails from your server to use as spam, your IP can be blacklisted, and ALL mail coming from you will go into a spam folder.

Email spammers aren't very tenacious, though. If they can't find a quick way to get in, they give up pretty easily, and go looking somewhere else.

Anyhow, the people in this community (or at least some of the people in this thread) seem to know quite about this topic; I'd take their advice. And if someone wants to help you, it'd likely be safe. Still be cautious, and make sure you trust the person, but the people in this thread seem trustworthy. Don't look at me though, I'm no mail expert. XD

If you want to check to see if your mail server's records are okay, and if they are blacklisted, you can do so here: http://mxtoolbox.com/ .

Either way, good luck, and I hope you get it sorted.

the strange thing is that only the e-mail containing the registration-link is landing in the Spam-folder of Gmail.com

All other e-mails send from my website are actually not landing in the Spam-Folder and are delivered fine in the Inbox.

thanks, but I do not want to let Google control and read my e-mails ;)

But I think you have been correct about the IP being used from my host.....

It might surprise you to find out how many e-mail companies utilize Google's spam services :D

As has been said though their privacy policy on e-mail is pretty strict.

Personally, I'm not very good at manually adding DNS/MX records. Considering your skill level, you may be interested in using a backend manager like DirectAdmin or something. I hear good things about Webmin, though I'm reluctant to recommend it myself, as I've never tried it.

Don't use cPanel if it's just for you. It can have its benefits if it's like... already installed. But to manage one person, it's just a resource hog, and costs way too much.

Top Bottom