Sign-Up confirmation e-mail lands in Spam-folder at Gmail.com

erich37

when somebody registers at my website by using a Gmail.com e-mail-address, the confirmation e-mail lands in the Spam-folder of that person at Gmail.com and also contains a warning message from Gmail.

Gmail-message within the e-mail:
"Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information....."http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=8253

What to do so that the mail does not land in the Spam-folder ?

Many thanks,

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to other than to tell your users to check their spam folder. If there was an easy way to defeat the spam filter then it wouldn't be very useful.

You can avoid that if you have it send through the actual mail server that hosts the address that the forum sends email as. Rather than just having php send the mail. I've run into that problem with my IT clients before.

Ah that makes sense. That would explain the specific gmail message he got.

Spam filters compare the RDNS with the domain name ... so let say your RDNS is blabla.myhost.com and the domain account sending the email is mydomain.com ----> mydomain.com <> myhost.com
flagged as spam immediately.
The way to go about it is as mentioned above.

You can avoid that if you have it send through the actual mail server that hosts the address that the forum sends email as. Rather than just having php send the mail. I've run into that problem with my IT clients before.

Many thanks for your feedback bambua !
I am not that experienced of how to do what you are suggesting. Could you please tell me in a few easy steps of how to do this ?

Thanks again !

distro ? no idea.

I just came to think:
within the XenForo-ACP, there is a section called "Email Transport Method" which shows a radio-button for a SMTP setting.

Do I need to make some settings there and activate SMTP there somehow ?

I currently have set this to "Default".

distro ? no idea.

I just came to think:
within the XF-ACP, there is a radio-button for setting the e-mails via SMTP.
Do I need to make some settings there and activate SMTP there somehow ?
You need to install an SMTP server and configure it properly (free) or buy an smtp account from another provider

I actually do have a SMTP-server named:

smtp.mydomain.com

Do I need to enter this address "smtp.mydomain.com" into the XenForo-ACP under "Email Transport Method" ?

Many thanks for your help !

I actually do have a SMTP-server named:

smtp.mydomain.com

Do I need to enter this address "smtp.mydomain.com" into the XenForo-ACP under "Email Transport Method" ?

Many thanks for your help !
No problem .
but where is your smtp.domain.com pointing to ?
is it pointing to your server? or your domain provider? a third party ?! I know it's confusing but ... :D

the smtp.mydomain.com is actually pointing to my own server.

So I guess I need to put the smtp.mydomain.com into the "Email Transport Method" of the ACP of XenForo ?
Including the "Port"-number.

I just made the SMTP settings in ACP, but still the mail containing the confirmation-link lands in the Spam-folder of Gmail.com :(

what is the RDNS ? I do not understand......

I just made the SMTP settings in ACP, but still the mail containing the confirmation-link lands in the Spam-folder of Gmail.com :(

what is the RDNS ? I do not understand......

RDNS = reverse DNS. What SMTP details are you using, i.e what is the host?
I could go further and ask for a copy of the original message of the email (click on "More options" -> "Show original" )

Top Bottom