s9e Media BBCodes pack

s9e Media BBCodes pack 20231102

No permission to download
@OperaManiac Added Google+, will look into the other ones later. For your video BBCode, try looking for a generic add-on I'd bet there's a couple of them that do what you need. If not, try the support forum and tag me in so that I take a look later in the week.

Thanks for the heads up. Normally I prefer to wait for an actual request before adding more sites but adding popular/upcoming sites proactively is a good idea too. I've read this article and there are only two of those that are not currently supported: 8tracks and MixCrate. 8tracks seems relatively popular on Reddit (users are exchanging links) and on Wordpress (new installs every day) so I intend to add it to this pack. MixCrate is much less popular on Reddit and in blogs/forums, so I'll hold on to it until I know someone needs it for their forums.

Here is a feature request…

I had previously enabled the option to add a link to embed. This became a big issue as when the post was edited and saved again, it added a second embed in the post.

I prefer to have a link with the embedded content because users accessing the forum from apps like Tapatalk do not get to see the embedded content.

Example: This is how Twitter embeds appear in Tapatalk - http://imgur.com/gU9hcz2

Would it be possible for you to add a clickable source link at rendering time that can appear on Tapatalk? I hope I was able to explain my point here. Thanks!

Personally, I do not understand why XenForo has to change the source link at all. Why cannot the system just accept the URL at rendering time and generate the relevant embed code on the fly! This makes portability a nuisance. Links are converted into BBCODEs that would not work on third party platforms if I someday decide to migrate away from XenForo. IPB did not force me to do it which enabled me to get most of the embedded links work on XenForo. God forbid if I decided to move back to IPB in the future, all of these embedded code would stop working unless I can find an add-on that can read them in proper format. I guess, this is just one way of locking users to this platform. Sigh.

Last edited:
Excellent media pack - thank you for the work.

One question though - is there any chance of a HTML5 or non flash BBCode for the ebay code ? My iOS users cant use it ..

Many thanks.

Andy

I prefer to have a link with the embedded content [...]

It's not really possible at my level. There's an option titled "Auto-Embed Media Links" somewhere in the admin panel that lets you automatically add a link to the original URL and normally that link shouldn't turn into embedded content when the post is edited.

Personally, I do not understand why XenForo has to change the source link at all. Why cannot the system just accept the URL at rendering time and generate the relevant embed code on the fly!

In this instance, this is more a design decision on my part than a limitation or a rule enforced by XenForo. This is mostly for performance reasons, I actually mention this points in the overview. The problem with generating content on the fly is that... well, you have to do it on the fly. It's not a problem for a simple site that carries unique IDs in their URLs and rendered in fixed dimensions like YouTube, but there's a number of sites (27 in this pack, to be precise) that require information that is not found in the URL. For example, Google+ requires the author's numeric ID (not the +Name that's in the pretty URL), Twitch needs the streamer's or archive's ID, and you need the image's dimensions for a Gfycat embed. Retrieving those from the remote server will take 0.5 to 1 second, which is 10 times what it would take to create the page otherwise. And you need to multiply that by the number of such embeds on the page.

One question though - is there any chance of a HTML5 or non flash BBCode for the ebay code ? My iOS users cant use it ..

Unfortunately that's outside of my control. eBay offers a Flash widget but I'm not aware of a non-Flash version. Go to http://togo.ebay.com/ and tell them about your iOS users. If enough people do that, they might offer a non-Flash version.

I did play with Auto-Embed Media Links and it did not work out well. Editing the post added a second embed in the post content But I did that before installing this add-on. XenForo's own media embeds were duplicating the embed.

(I do hope that you would someday consider releasing a script that could change the modified code back to original URLs if that is possible somehow! For folks who might be considering moving to a different platform!)

Thanks!

AFAIK it shouldn't duplicate the embed as long as you're using the default link. You may want to ask in support or report it as a bug.

As for turning embeds back into link, I slightly misspoke. When I said it was my decision to make, I was only referring to the second part of the quote about retrieving information at rendering time. I can decide whether to retrieve it at rendering or posting time, but I don't control how the MEDIA tag behaves otherwise. I couldn't make it revert to a URL when edited.

That's because that URL links to an article, not a video. To embed the video you need its actual URL (you can get it in ESPN's player by clicking "Share"). For instance, the video from this article can be embedded with this URL: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11198522

At some point in the future I'd like to extend support to article URLs as well (not just ESPN, other sites as well) but I have yet to find a solution I'm satisfied with.

The reason you get a blank area is partially related to this limitation. I'd need to change a few things on my site to prevent the add-on from creating an invalid tag in this case.

Top Bottom