Random Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah I original designed a diskette (standalone image) if that's what your referring to so I don't think I'll be reverting back to that design.
never really thought you would. lol :P

Am wondering if you're going to share that design or not when you're finished. Always impressed with the work you do and your attention to detail :)

never really thought you would. lol :p

Am wondering if you're going to share that design or not when you're finished. Always impressed with the work you do and your attention to detail :)

Yeah, Definitely will be sharing it. I don't see the point in keeping it exclusive if other people want it and will find a use for the sprite. In the meantime it's just driving me nuts and I haven't even started on the Bold, Underline, Italic etc :P

Yeah, Definitely will be sharing it. I don't see the point in keeping it exclusive if other people want it and will find a use for the sprite. In the meantime it's just driving me nuts and I haven't even started on the Bold, Underline, Italic etc :p

I find making sprite isn't easy at all. Its not just making each individual item that bothers me. It's getting the spacing right to go along with it too.

I find making sprite isn't easy at all. Its not just making each individual item that bothers me. It's getting the spacing right to go along with it too.

That's not the problem (coordinates ) placing the icons that is the easy bit. It's working at a small scale but still trying to find a design (somewhat unique and different) yet then designing it that looks pretty good. It has to

1. Look fairly good
  2. Convey the button so it doesn't confuse people
That for me is the difficult, or fairly time consuming part. 16px width is not alot of room to play with. :D But you work with the requirements that are set and just do it to the best of your abilities. *biatch-slaps Photoshop* :p

That's not the problem (coordinates ) placing the icons that is the easy bit. It's working at a small scale but still trying to find a design (somewhat unique and different) yet then designing it that looks pretty good. It has to

1. Look fairly good
  2. Convey the button so it doesn't confuse people
That for me is the difficult, or fairly time consuming part. 16px width is not alot of room to play with. :D But you work with the requirements that are set and just do it to the best of your abilities. *biatch-slaps Photoshop* :p
Maybe we go about things differently. I do things at 400% zoom (or more) and once it looks good there... Usually (not always) things fall into place once you zoom back out the default.

But I make each photo individually, then have to slap them on 1 single clear photo, without messing up the spacing (can't have them to close), and without making the sprite bigger (file size).

Maybe we go about things differently. I do things at 400% zoom (or more) and once it looks good there... Usually (not always) things fall into place once you zoom back out the default.

But I make each photo individually, then have to slap them on 1 single clear photo, without messing up the spacing (can't have them to close), and without making the sprite bigger (file size).

I'm working currently at 3200% zoom though this varies depending on what part of the icons, which layer I'm working with.

editor-zoom.webp

I'm working currently at 3200% zoom though this varies depending on what part of the icons, which layer I'm working with.

View attachment 50000

Ya, you go into a lot more detail than I do. I typically avoid layers when possible. That's not always possible, but if I can help it....

Keep in mind I usually use GIMP. I understand it more. There is that "argument" that Photoshop is the "be all" and "above all" .... I can't exactly swallow that pill. I can't deny that it has a bunch of cool little toys, but some of its settings don't even make scene to me. And I've found other programs that sometimes do things better (and easier).

Ya, you go into a lot more detail than I do. I typically avoid layers when possible. That's not always possible, but if I can help it....

Keep in mind I usually use GIMP. I understand it more. There is that "argument" that Photoshop is the "be all" and "above all" .... I can't exactly swallow that pill. I can't deny that it has a bunch of cool little toys, but some of its settings don't even make scene to me. And I've found other programs that sometimes do things better (and easier).

Layers are useful but don't get me wrong if i can keep the layer count down I will. Take for example the watched spectacle icon here that was about 8-10 layers (can't recall) but I got that down to 3 layers so I do definitely avoid over using layers when i don't have to. It makes for easier management when you have to re-visit the PSD and with PSDs you can have many sets that can mount up times the amount of layers in that set which can be a nightmare if it's not managed correctly. Suffice to say, and I hold my hands up I am a downright messy when it comes to layers not naming them and sometimes over-using them but i always end up coming back to the PSDs and tidying it up. :p

I have no issues with other programs. I have seen some great creations especial icons created in GIMP which are really outstanding designs. I like to think that the software used is only as good as the person/designer using it. If a designer is comfortable in let's say for example GIMP then that is definitely the better program to use, if it's PSP then that is the better program, for that person/designer. I never really got into the whole debate Photoshop vs Gimp vs PSP vs inkscape because each program has it's benefits and drawbacks and each person has their own preference which they are comfortable in using so it's really down to - what works best for you.

jeez I'm rambling. :D *submits*

specs_layers.webp

Last edited:
Layers are useful but don't get me wrong if i can keep the layer count down I will. Take for example the watched spectacle icon here that was about 8-10 layers (can't recall) but I got that down to 3 layers so I do definitely avoid over using layers when i don't have to. It makes for easier management when you have to re-visit the PSD and with PSDs you can have many sets that can mount up times the amount of layers in that set which can be a nightmare if it's not managed correctly. Suffice to say, and I hold my hands up I am a downright messy when it comes to layers not naming them and sometimes over-using them but i always end up coming back to the PSDs and tidying it up. :p

I have no issues with other programs. I have seen some great creations especial icons created in GIMP which are really outstanding designs. I like to think that the software used is only as good as the person/designer using it. If a designer is comfortable in let's say for example GIMP then that is definitely the better program to use, if it's PSP then that is the better program, for that person/designer. I never really got into the whole debate Photoshop vs Gimp vs PSP vs inkscape because each program has it's benefits and drawbacks and each person has their own preference which they are comfortable in using so it's really down to - what works best for you.

jeez I'm rambling. :D *submits*

You're not rambling, you're just very passionate about digital works of art, being a designer yourself (though I recall once you don't think of yourself as one). Nothing wrong with expressing your thoughts, opinions, and ideas regarding something you feel good about & take part in. :)

You know you use to many layers when you bring your work to another's computer who only has 4gigs or ram and their computer locks up when you open it. :-/

LMAO - Oh I've been there. I have an i7 cpu and it struggles to open the xenforo smilie psd + extended pack but possibly the killer psd is the mood icons. we're talking thousands of layers that I had to span out over 5 psds.

LMAO - Oh I've been there. I have an i7 cpu and it struggles to open the xenforo smilie psd + extended pack but possibly the killer psd is the mood icons. we're talking thousands of layers that I had to span out over 5 psds.

LOL thousands damn...that's pretty damn funny. Didn't realize there were that many for the moods...jezus.

I used to have somewhat of the problem with a quad i7 and 4 gigs of ram on larger ones (usually with other apps open though) and then bumped that machine up to 24 gigs and didn't have a problem. Now with a Hexa i7 and 64 gigs of ram I will freak out if anything crashes...I really will lol.

LOL thousands damn...that's pretty damn funny. Didn't realize there were that many for the moods...jezus.

I used to have somewhat of the problem with a quad i7 and 4 gigs of ram on larger ones (usually with other apps open though) and then bumped that machine up to 24 gigs and didn't have a problem. Now with a Hexa i7 and 64 gigs of ram I will freak out if anything crashes...I really will lol.

I'll get a mood psd for ya and post and you can see how many layers on 1 mood then times that by 230 (some moods have more layers but it will give you a rough idea on the layer count. :D Sad Mood psd posted in attachment and this has a fairly low layer count the other moods had much higher layer counts.

Attachments

San Francisco is humid around this time of year. But if you get that cool breeze coming up from the bay area, it's heaven.

Funny enough it was the first thing I said when I got out of the car this morning, "its really humid here" and I was born and raised in Texas which is humid as hell. I miss my Reno Nov traffic is awful here, which I knew already heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom