Not planned Powered by Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Just a simple idea to tidy up avertisements from mods, but still credit the authors.

Im sure youve all seen forums on VB.

All times are GMT. The time now is 8PM.
Powered by Vbulletin Version
Copyright 2010 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Serch engine optimisation by VBSEO
Theme By XYZ
Extra Tabs by ABC
Raiting system by TYU

On top of that some authors also include credits on the mod pages and elsewhere.

I think we all agree it gets messy. So why not have a "powered by page"

Any mod installed gets a link in to that page by default just by title from importing it, and then if people want to see what addons you use, they can just go look for themselfs.

Simples.

Upvote 16
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
We all know that a lot of admin do remove the links in the footer this is just a solution that would satsify both party
something better than nothing
There's negatives and positives as a coder to solutions like this. A negative could be the credits(powered by) mod you've sweat blood and tears to create has been removed from the footer, because it's too much clutter. and a positive is that admins are more likely to display a credit to you and your modification if they had their own page and were neatly laid out.

So both sides have positives and negatives.

Adding something to the xenForo API that allows coders to enter their credit information (link, title and image) could be used to produce something like the attached.

Might not be for everybody, but as a themer and (really bad) coder I'd be satisfied with this.

Attachments

• powered-by.webp
    powered-by.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 113
There's negatives and positives as a coder to solutions like this. A negative could be the credits(powered by) mod you've sweat blood and tears to create has been removed from the footer, because it's too much clutter. and a positive is that admins are more likely to display a credit to you and your modification if they had their own page and were neatly laid out.

So both sides have positives and negatives.
Yes, there is always pros and cons but i think dev. would also benefit from this page because they can include all info about the mod
Name - Version - B. Description - Email - Site
this way my users who don't know anything about mods, would at least know something instead of just url you provide your users with more info
you get my point

Yes, there is always pros and cons but i think dev. would also benefit from this page because they can include all info about the mod
this way my users who don't know anything about mods, would at least know something instead of just url you provide your users with more info
you get my point
Exactly. :)

you get my point
exactly.

Lately there has been some discussion as to why it seems like some coders are no longer releasing their add-ons on sites like vB.org like they used to. This thread highlights part of the reason why.

It will not bode well if this is a sign of things to come with the XF community in regards to add-ons.

I think the majority of us have absolutely no problem keeping the credits in the footer of the site. It's just a matter of aesthetics.

I don't undedrstand. I'm very happy to honour people wityh c redits.
It can be in very small font in unobtrusive colour.
It doesn't bother anyone - who looks at the footer unless you want to find info?

For myself I find it really useful to look down to find info on a feature I like if I'm interested in getting it.
But in principle I'd b e very against this.
I don't usually want to say that the way I see it is right - usually I'm all for add-ons to please different needs. It irritates me when admins on here say no no when it's all about different types of need.
But on this it's different. I think it's plain WRONG to use people's work and not give them a fair credit in a way that makes that info very accessible on every page.

Adding something to the xenForo API that allows coders to enter their credit information (link, title and image) could be used to produce something like the attached.

Might not be for everybody, but as a themer and (really bad) coder I'd be satisfied with this.

Something like that would be perfect.

I don't undedrstand. I'm very happy to honour people wityh c redits.
It can be in very small font in unobtrusive colour.
It doesn't bother anyone - who looks at the footer unless you want to find info?

For myself I find it really useful to look down to find info on a feature I like if I'm interested in getting it.
But in principle I'd b e very against this.
I don't usually want to say that the way I see it is right - usually I'm all for add-ons to please different needs. It irritates me when admins on here say no no when it's all about different types of need.
But on this it's different. I think it's plain WRONG to use people's work and not give them a fair credit in a way that makes that info very accessible on every page.
Lately there has been some discussion as to why it seems like some coders are no longer releasing their add-ons on sites like vB.org like they used to. This thread highlights part of the reason why.

It will not bode well if this is a sign of things to come with the XF community in regards to add-ons.

I entirely disagree with these. My sites are my livlihood from the ad revenue. One of the most important features that both my members and advertisers ask for is a highly aesthetic site and in my mind this doesn't include 8 lines of text in the footer. And, while yea this is another comment that will split peoples opinions, i'm soon not going to change and put them back in for the coders benefit over my income. Hense my suggestion, i'm willing to give them credit by all means. I'm not willing to let them clutter up my site to do so.

And yes, I see the catch 22 :)

Coders/Designers somewhat depend on the links they add to their mods and designs. It can create a good revenue of traffic and income for them just as your site needs the same. What if some of these links were placed there in the footer so someone can make their livelihood? It is really simple to ask a coder/designer what it takes to remove the copyright, I have let people remove it from styles I made for a mere $5.

Having all the links on another page really does not serve the coders and designers any purpose. Google will index those links differently I'm sure than if they were in the footer. Traffic to ones website where they make their livelihood is key for them to make money and or continue to contribute free mods/styles so you can make your profit.

Edit: Here is what I'm getting at. Search the text in google I used in a few styles "Design By: Qwk86gn" . I continue to get request from people on my Paranormal Forums for either adding more to the style or designing a logo or something for them. I have to make a little "$" sometime too you know.

A small link is certainly not much to ask.. developers spend countless hours creating styles / mods and release them for free, i am one of these people and it really sucks when people start asking for support when i know they have removed a credit link.. i have even tried offering "Branding Free" options / donations.. but well 1 in every 20k might have some form of heart and make a small donation...

I now tend to included a license agreement within the package to inform users of my work that the link must remain if they continue to use my work, i don't have time to run around contacting hosting companies to step in, and even if i did i am not a complete arseholee.. it's very annoying tho having to offer support to people who modify / remove certain parts of my work.

This debate could go on for weeks, at the end of the day designers / developers get screwed it's as simple as that,while these "FREELOADERS" can get away with doing what they want... Developers / Designers could start encoding things but this is not only expensive / time consuming it effects the load speeds..

To anyone who does remove credits from free releases... ahh bugga it if people want to remove credits they will plain and simple... would just be good to see the shoe on the other foot for a change and let them see how it feels.... Show some Bloody heart for a change and support people who support the communities... your sites would be extremely plain and simple without free releases.

Also it doesn't hurt to say thanks once in a while also rather than just ask for support.... "Ohh how do i change this" or "Can you make me a version like this".... hahaha i give up i am not going to win here.

I cannot say it strongly enough that it is DISGUSTING and DISHONEST to use people's work then not credit them - in the way they wish it.
Shunting them off on a separate page where they will get no google hits and no visitors - sucks.

If their brief credit at gets in the way of your site looking pretty - and I don't see how tiny font in 8 or 9pt in grey can do that
- then be honest. Go and BUY the code you want or learn to make it yourself.

Snatching things free and then not doing your side of it is contemptible.

Being self employed means I make money out of others helping ME so I help THEM. Then they go on helping me.
Self employment success = networking not grabbing for nothing.

I cannot say it strongly enough that it is DISGUSTING and DISHONEST to use people's work then not credit them - in the way they wish it.
Shunting them off on a separate page where they will get no google hits and no visitors - sucks.

If their brief credit at gets in the way of your site looking pretty - and I don't see how tiny font in 8 or 9pt in grey can do that
- then be honest. Go and BUY the code you want or learn to make it yourself.

Snatching things free and then not doing your side of it is contemptible.

Being self employed means I make money out of others helping ME so I help THEM. Then they go on helping me.
Self employment success = networking not grabbing for nothing.

Strong reaction.

Like I said, I'm sure most of us have zero issues with links and stuff in the footer. If it's in 9px grey font, perfect. What's annoying is

When​
It's​
Expanding​
The​
Page​
Like​
This​
Because​
The​
Author​
Doesn't​
Know​
How​
To​
Integrate​
Their​
Credits​
Correctly​

I entirely disagree with these. My sites are my livlihood from the ad revenue. One of the most important features that both my members and advertisers ask for is a highly aesthetic site and in my mind this doesn't include 8 lines of text in the footer. And, while yea this is another comment that will split peoples opinions, i'm soon not going to change and put them back in for the coders benefit over my income. Hense my suggestion, i'm willing to give them credit by all means. I'm not willing to let them clutter up my site to do so.
If you are going to use someone's work, you must agree to credit them in the way they want to be credited. If an add-on author requires that you credit them in the footer of the site, you'd better credit them there or else you have no right to use their software.

A credits page is all very well, but only if the add-on authors specifically state that it's okay to credit them there and not elsewhere. Without that agreement, removing a copyright or credit notice from the footer is no better than flat-out piracy.

So just add a powered by page. Let the mod authors write on their mods like "Credits link in pb-page"(powered-by page). This way admins can decide if it's a mod that requires the credits in the footer or if they agree to have it in a separate page. If they want it in the footer the admins can then make up their mind if they want to "waste space" in the footer for that mod or not - essentially making up their mind on how much that mod is worth to them.

And yes, I see the catch 22 :)
In such a scenario, you should contact the coder and ask them how much money they want to remove the branding.

There's a duality here that should be commented on...

It's up to the end-user to honor the coder's wishes and leave the credits unchanged. BUT there's also a responsibility to the coder wherein they should aim to make these credits unobtrusive.

And again, I don't see what's so bad about a jQuery'd expanding tab at the bottom of each page. Your links or whatnot would still get indexed just the same.

There's a duality here that should be commented on...

It's up to the end-user to honor the coder's wishes and leave the credits unchanged. BUT there's also a responsibility to the coder wherein they should aim to make these credits unobtrusive.

And again, I don't see what's so bad about a jQuery'd expanding tab at the bottom of each page. Your links or whatnot would still get indexed just the same.

This would be spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom