Piracy - The Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said before :

I really don't see where a developer told he wanted to track his customers and monitor their severs. This is not the topic and its not the topic neither about free addons and license problems.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/piracy-the-battle.45830/page-5#post-493057

I can see you failed to read the Quote, so here:
I am saying I would like our developers here to be able to match these associated users to the MAIN license holder.

I think that relates to a direct privacy issue in general, or maybe i missed the entire point of sharing license data with developers? I also believe the links i posted were generally on that discussion itself but 0 relevant responses from any developer on the matter.

So it's ok for paid add-on's not to be pirated but hey it's ok if free one's are, i mean i don't quite understand why it wouldn't be the thread? After all this entire thread is about xenforo piracy and the aspects of it correct? Or was i misinformed by the thread title, original post and a majority of posts here?

I am however bowing out of this conversion as i see it as a extremely pointless thread that has 0 to no direction since the first 7 or 8 pages on a situation that won't be fixed regardless.

I won't be buying any add-ons here that require me to hand my details over to the equivalent of the wikipedia steering committee and its internet piracy detectives. I'll hire dev's privately, as I already do, guys like waindigo excel at that. Third party developers have exactly zero rights to any of my personal details lodged with xenforo, including my licence here. Just my paypal details are up for grabs for those I do business with. Unless you're encoding your **** this argument is pointless to begin with, like unencoded api's and domain keys are gonna make a difference. Hasn't piratebay taught you guys anything? freakin hollywood can't even smash that machine and here we are talking about defending lines of PHP code. If you're that worried, encrypt it and pray it's a good enough add-on for me to choose to install ioncube loader and buy it.

Go look at these forums giving away this stuff, populated by freakin 15 year olds on free hosting sh*t scared they'll be caught out, who'd never get enough pocket money to pay you anyhow. Do you really see those people as potential customers? (in the next decade) You're wasting your time for a minority of retards who'll never get any support from you with issues and will most likely end up with exploit riddled 'nulled' code raping their server. Priceless.

Its not about stopping piracy, I think we all can agree that it is a no win.

What it is about is having a collaboration area for developers of resources to be able to say "watch out for user xxxxhe just did a charge back after buying my $100 addon". Also for developers to be able to tell if a XenForo.com user is licensed easily.

No one will win the piracy battle but there are steps that can help detour developers loosing money.

Reactions: Kim
This discussion cannot go anywhere whilst there are so many different streams of conversation.

It would appear that a lot of people cannot distinguish between them, and as such are lumping them all in together into a big box they are calling "bad scary stuff I don't want to know about"

Many times during the duration of this thread have experienced Resource providers said that piracy is non controllable. We can and DO NOW take steps to protect ourselves against it. Sometimes we lose of course, sadly it is seen as OK to rip off "the little guy" - and that we are all like Adobe or Microsoft apparently.

What those of us who have been around for a while are saying is that users who engage in fraud and known warezors should be listed, many of us would also like that to be within a private forum, where we can discuss all sorts of things, not just piracy.

I fail to see why anyone would have a problem with it myself.... it's not like it isn't happening now, not just here, but in lots of other locations.

Earlier in this thread, some people advocated linking piracy to your Xenforo license, however not every one agrees with that, don't confuse the arguments of some, with the whole.

Some people brought up the notion of free add on's and protecting them against being redistributed.

Some people advocated a call back, or other technological solution.

Some want to talk about sex and lesbians, or asses.

This is not a single issue discussion.

Personally I am only interested in discussing the idea of a Resource providers forum.

I can see you failed to read the Quote, so here:.
Nope. I've read it but since you've already quoted a reply to that idea which was only raised once in a topic of 16 pages I don't think it reflects the general opinions of developers. It was just a personal opinion. Nothing more. And even this idea doesn't imply to speak of "violating someone's privacy, spy, or even monitor there servers regardless". This is a misunderstood or a false statement that needed to be corrected.

So it's ok for paid add-on's not to be pirated but hey it's ok if free one's are, i mean i don't quite understand why it wouldn't be the thread.
The problem is not about free addons, it's a license problem. And I don't want to waste my argumentation in that topic where it would make no sense.But here's still an answer:

Developing takes time. Some developers use most of their time to do it and try to live with this (for now it hasn't been really a success for them with XenForo - see recent threads). We're far from the big companies you quoted in your first post (Adobe/Microsoft), we're talking about "new age craftspersons". As I've already said, illegally releasing their addons means they will have serious money problem in their real life. This is not a game, this is not funny and some sentences here can really seem unfair. Everyone is very happy to have addons, but fail to understand the daily life and problems of developers. Piracy is one of them. So, yes of course, we first talk about paid addons instead of free ones. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

If you want to open a new topic about free addons and their sharing conditions, feel free to do it.

Reactions: Kim
Some want to talk about sex and lesbians, or asses.
My original statement was this one:
"What is asked here is a system to check if a member has a XenForo licensed or not. There's no personal data, no name, no address, no phone number, no email, no favorite food or sexual orientation."
I don't think XenForo is really the best forum to talk about sex ^^

What those of us who have been around for a while are saying is that users who engage in fraud and known warezors should be listed, many of us would also like that to be within a private forum, where we can discuss all sorts of things, not just piracy.

what's stopping you doing this now on your own or is xenforo expected to back this venture.

What it is about is having a collaboration area for developers of resources to be able to say "watch out for user xxxxhe just did a charge back after buying my $100 addon". Also for developers to be able to tell if a XenForo.com user is licensed easily.

maybe...
XenForo Limited will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so.

my licence is my personal info sorry.

what's stopping you doing this now on your own or is xenforo expected to back this venture.

We DO do it now, but it is scattered, and tends to be in blocks of people who are "friends" - there are a great many others who would benefit from this.

LOL "back this venture"

Yes we are asking (nicely) if they will, the same as IPB does, the same as PHPBB does (apparently) and lots of other software suppliers, who give their value adding resource providers a place to congregate and to discuss lots of things... one small thing of which might be piracy.

We DO do it now, but it is scattered, and tends to be in blocks of people who are "friends" - there are a great many others who would benefit from this.

LOL "back this venture"

Yes we are asking (nicely) if they will, the same as IPB does, the same as PHPBB does (apparently) and lots of other software suppliers, who give their value adding resource providers a place to congregate and to discuss lots of things... one small thing of which might be piracy.

then xenforo needs to change it's privacy policy because as a third party you are entitled to nothing - sorry that's just how it is. You'd need xenforo to get on board.

my licence that I bought with my name and details is private. Get over it.

I suggest you get over it.

Xenforo would have every right (and we wish they would) to display publically if you own a license or not, by way of usergroup, or user rank.

What is your problem?

No one is asking for your personal details, only if you own a license or not.

maybe...

my licence is my personal info sorry.

Yes I am well aware of the license agreement, thanks. But I guess you do not receive numerous PM's for help on this or that and then have to find out if the user is licensed so your not contributing to a pirate/unlicensed xf user.

Showing as a customer should not be a invasion of privacy..really.

This have been repeated a huge number of times... :( This is crazy...

I know, it is very frustrating.

Certain people just don't seem to be getting it.

NO ONE IS ASKING FOR YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS TO BE REVEALED.

Hopefully that might clear that issue up... it's tedious to have to repeat it every two posts.

I suggest you get over it.

Xenforo would have every right (and we wish they would) to display publically if you own a license or not, by way of usergroup, or user rank.

What is your problem?

No one is asking for your personal details, only if you own a license or not.

I post in areas on this forum, I can download attachments. There is your proof. I'm done with this but I'll end my side with you have no right to any of my information other than what you can see here. kthanxbye.

I post in areas on this forum, I can download attachments. There is your proof. I'm done with this but I'll end my side with you have no right to any of my information other than what you can see here. kthanxbye.

That is all that is being asked.

Rather than have to chase all over the board looking for a recent post of a Customer, within a customer forum, (or they may never have posted here...) just to know the licensed or not status of an individual would be extremely helpful to resource providers.

How is that in any way an invasion of your privacy.

And the idea is just to make a better system... That would have avoid me to pick a fight with a Guiltar long time ago based on a stupid misunderstanding (see here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom