Piracy - The Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point of talking about pirates if your not linking to pirates?

Besides its just a twitter status, not the actual site and his site is down.

Get a mod to delete it.

Main concern is thing's like this.

Privacy (Quoted, not the replier.)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/piracy-the-battle.45830/page-5#post-493057

Ignored Privacy (Pertaining to Privatization):
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/piracy-the-battle.45830/page-13#post-494479
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/piracy-the-battle.45830/page-13#post-494508

A private forum, discussion or anything of that nature would not bother me as a consumer, what bother's me is how innocent people could be affected and how highly this is shrugged off simply to: well who cares? as long as we get the pirate state of mind.

So when i am implying privacy violations and the spying this is the type of behavior i am speaking off.

On the nature of call backs, they do not entirely bother me as many if not all web applications by a legitimate business use them. What does bother me on that notion is the fact if someone doesn't regard someones privacy to simply to catch pirates makes one believe that they are not a trusted, legitimate and a clean developer.

Also this thread is hilarious, people are so hell bent on catching pirates that they don't seem to care if a innocent bystander is hit by poor choices based either solo or by a group. That's not implying everyone, but their are a few in this thread have someone cleared up they simply do not care.

Here's what i would suggest:
- Removal of all the people you can add to your account, except one.
- If add on's/plugins have callbacks or any other types of methods for piracy intervention, then a staff member or Mod Team (like phpBB) has to validate the mod based on a code of ethics.
- Private forum for discussion, but regardless if it is private a user has a right to defend themselves rather then being axed with no self defense.

Did anyone touch on this?
One of my first resources was posted on ecks eff Team but was only downloaded by three people in the Resource Manager. I ask some moderators to tell me who downloaded it so that I could single out who downloaded and uploaded it to the other site and they said they have no way of telling. If ragtek can code a 'Who Downloaded This Attachment' addon, surely y'all can add that function to the Resource Manager?
Until then this discussion is garbage. How are you going to stop piracy if you can't even track who downloaded what?

Did anyone touch on this?
Until then this discussion is garbage. How are you going to stop piracy if you can't even track who downloaded what?

Paid Add ons and themes etc are not downloaded from here, they are processed on the Dev/Designer's own site.

Paid Add ons and themes etc are not downloaded from here, they are processed on the Dev/Designer's own site.
Oh maybe I'm in the wrong thread then. So it's okay to upload free addons and styles to other sites without permission? Alright.

What's the point of talking about pirates if your not linking to pirates?

Besides its just a twitter status, not the actual site and his site is down.

Get a mod to delete it.
Did you wake up on the wrong foot today? I won't do any comment if the site is down or not. That's not the place.

Oh maybe I'm in the wrong thread then. So it's okay to upload free addons and styles to other sites without permission? Alright.

LOL what is with you today :p

We are predominately talking about paid mods in this thread Dre, your concerns about the illegal redistribution of resources are valid no doubt, but we aren't really talking about the re-distribution of free add ons etc in this thread, I don't believe.

That would be yet another stream this thread is going into if we do. LOL

I think it should be split myself, as they are all worthwhile discussions to have, just confusing for everyone with it all just chucked in together.

Reactions: DRE
Which is why if XenForo was to "verify" each and every add-on they would have to go through every single line of code, which is impractical.

IPS do manage it. They have very dedicated Staff members, Andy Ford, and perhaps others (not up to date on who is what is who is where over there ;) )

It can be done :)

I guess you have realized these quotes don't reflect at all what you were wrongly presuming before and what I've asked you ''sources" for.

I don't understand why it is so hard to understand this simple fact:
XenForo didn't give any personal information on his customers. No matter you are a developer or not.

What's a scoooby?

rasta.gif

Never mind.... I can't give you that anyway :p

Reactions: DRE
Your right no one seem's to be mentioning this which is quite sad honestly.

I guess you have realized these quotes don't reflect at all what you were wrongly presuming before and what I've asked you ''sources" for.

I don't understand why it is so hard to understand this simple fact:

XenForo didn't give any personal information on his customers. No matter you are a developer or not.

I posted the sources of what i feel are major privacy issues summed up by other members who feel quite clearly the same way, it's not about what i don't get, it's about how things are being thrown around in this thread. I as in me and any other consumer here has the right to voice our opinion about issues like this after all we live in a age all about identity theft?

I also never stated xenforo as a company ever has, it's being tossed around that developers feel they can however at free will which is disturbing, and if you don't understand why that bothers me as a consumer then i really don't know what to tell you.

IPS do manage it. They have very dedicated Staff members, Andy Ford, and perhaps others (not up to date on who is what is who is where over there ;) )

It can be done :)

PhpBB also does this and is open source and they manage to get this done as well, not saying IPS doesn't just adding on to what you stated is all :p

XF staff is quite small though, this task would be a huge pain in the ass for KAM.

I also never stated xenforo as a company ever has, it's being tossed around that developers feel they can however at free will which is disturbing, and if you don't understand why that bothers me as a consumer then i really don't know what to tell you.

You said before :
Most in this thread feel it's ok to violates someone's privacy, spy, or even monitor there servers regardless of the fact of a person being or not being a pirate.

I really don't see where a developer told he wanted to track his customers and monitor their severs. This is not the topic and its not the topic neither about free addons and license problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom