Personal Conversations

But if you only send it to one person then it could be considered a private message won't it? Only you and that person would be able to see it.

With that being said, doesn't that constitute the requirements for a PM. It's like google buzz and ims in one.

I feel something is wrong with the way they are set up now. Without being to edit or delete individual messages in the conversation, I am reluctant to converse certain things, simply because it is not only really easy to invite more into the conversation (compared to forwarding a PM), and because I have no idea if deleting the conversation on my end will delete the conversation on the other end ***

*** Even if it does delete the conversation on the other end at this time, that could possibly change in the future.

Maybe that would be a good way to keep it simple, if a person specifies more then one person it is treated like a PC, with edit/remove, etc abilities, But if it is sent to one it acts like a PM...

I would like to see the PC creator to have the abilities to Kick a participant. Also the ability to edit would be a nice permission to have. First time tonight I experienced multiple participants in PC and really like this feature and the way it's implemented.

I feel something is wrong with the way they are set up now. Without being to edit or delete individual messages in the conversation, I am reluctant to converse certain things, simply because it is not only really easy to invite more into the conversation (compared to forwarding a PM), and because I have no idea if deleting the conversation on my end will delete the conversation on the other end ***

*** Even if it does delete the conversation on the other end at this time, that could possibly change in the future.

You do have control over who, if anyone, is able to invite others into a conversation that you start.

Unless I am missing something, PC is supposed to replace the good old Private Messages. Or PM's have not been coded into XF yet.
I think there is room for both PC's and PM's.

This is how I see it...

Lets "define" PM for a sec. A message sent to a user that only he can see... (sorta like sending a IM to a person). Non editable, and does not represent a thread in any way.

PC - a conversation similar to a thread. Being that you can add/remove people who can see it, history and all, and go back and edit/remove etc like you would with a thread. Only difference is the privacy.

Therefore, a PC does not replace a PM. It's two separate things, with two different functions. While a PC can take the place of a PM, a PC should have more abilities since it is just at thread with privacy. So give it "kick" and "edit" and "delete" functions, but also give the ability to send a PM - once sent, it is set in stone, almost like a IM or a good old fashion letter by snail mail.\

That's just my view...

I disagree. I'm pretty sure these are a replacement for PM's and that's exactly the way it should be. These work so much better. :) It behaves a lot like the Facebook message system, which is a good thing. And I have to disagree with Floris, I think giving someone the ability to remove a user from the conversation is a bad idea. If you want to exclude someone, you can just start a new conversation with everyone except the person you want to exclude. Then at the very least they wouldn't get something like "You have been removed from this conversation." That would suck. :(

Participants can remove themselves by 'deleting' the conversation.

I've seen various requests for removing someone else, but I'm not sure I want to go there...

Imagine premium members getting shared a 90% coupon code for a xenforo license
and you accidentally add Floren instead of Floris

I am sure you wish you'd could remove Floren :D

(nothing against Floren, just a name that has Flo in it too)

Imagine premium members getting shared a 90% coupon code for a xenforo license
and you accidentally add Floren instead of Floris
About 12 hours ago I was PMing detailed points about a regular member to a moderator e.g. we were talking about 'Joe'. I meant to forward Joes last reply to the moderator, but instead hit the reply button. :oops:

It would have been extremely good to be able to delete that PM.

It would be good if at least the admin could remove members from PCs. If not, hopefully an admin could be set up to edit everything within a PC (forever), at least I hope so.

I am not not going to visit my forum too much today. :oops:

About 12 hours ago I was PMing detailed points about a regular member to a moderator e.g. we were talking about 'Joe'. I meant to forward Joes last reply to the moderator, but instead hit the reply button. :oops:

It would have been extremely good to be able to delete that PM.

It would be good if at least the admin could remove members from PCs. If not, hopefully an admin could be set up to edit everything within a PC (forever), at least I hope so.

I am not not going to visit my forum too much today. :oops:
Speaking of forwarding... I don't see a way to forward a specific message from within a conversation to somebody else. Currently, I presume, the only option is to invite the "forwardee" to the conversation, but what if I only want them to see one of the messages and not all of them?

Speaking of forwarding... I don't see a way to forward a specific message from within a conversation to somebody else. Currently, I presume, the only option is to invite the "forwardee" to the conversation, but what if I only want them to see one of the messages and not all of them?
Not sure. Possibly copy paste?

The only thing I know for sure is that I am still embarrassed :oops: And the person who my PM was accidentally sent to is still mad at me :mad:

Top Bottom