• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Nodes As Tabs (with tab selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link nodes have no page to view and therefore cannot have tab selection.
Ah. That is too bad. I wanted a tab titled "Guide" linking to the following topic, and for that tab to highlight when I select it (rather than reverting back to Forums): http://theinfinityprogram.com/index.php?threads/faq-nsfaq.1195/ If I want the tab to highlight, I assume my best bet would be to follow the more complex instructions here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/assign-pages-to-different-tabs.7006/#post-108064 Unless there is a way around the limitation presented by this add-on that I missed.

That other thread is for assigning pages to tabs, not an individual thread as you want to do.

Why not move your FAQ into a page then you can use this add-on?

Ah. That is too bad. I wanted a tab titled "Guide" linking to the following topic, and for that tab to highlight when I select it (rather than reverting back to Forums): http://theinfinityprogram.com/index.php?threads/faq-nsfaq.1195/ If I want the tab to highlight, I assume my best bet would be to follow the more complex instructions here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/assign-pages-to-different-tabs.7006/#post-108064 Unless there is a way around the limitation presented by this add-on that I missed.

This addon doesn't support threads as tabs, only nodes as tabs (hence the name :p). But if the thread is inside of a node tab then the thread will highlight that tab. With that in mind, you can create a forum as a child of the link forum, post the thread in that forum, then edit the link forum to go to that thread.

Link Forum (is tab, and links to thread)
- Forum (child of link forum)
- - Thread (posted inside of forum)

That will create the desired effect.

An alternative is to post your FAQ in a page node and make that into a tab. But that requires you to write HTML (for the contents of the page node).

This addon doesn't support threads as tabs, only nodes as tabs (hence the name :p). But if the thread is inside of a node tab then the thread will highlight that tab. With that in mind, you can create a forum as a child of the link forum, post the thread in that forum, then edit the link forum to go to that thread.

Link Forum (is tab, and links to thread)
- Forum (child of link forum)
- - Thread (posted inside of forum)

That will create the desired effect.

An alternative is to post your FAQ in a page node and make that into a tab. But that requires you to write HTML (for the contents of the page node).
Haha! That did it! Woot! (Clever.)

Your add-on now replicates two features on my forum that were present on vBulletin 3.x. And thank you.

Staggering in awe .... blinded by the light ... :)

STYLE Can I style these nodetabs -. colours/ backgrounds/ bold, italic/ glow for active tab?
oops I mean different styles for different types of tabs or individual tabs?

LINKS One issue for me is I provide a suite of chatrooms which MUST be an independent tab as an external link.
How would I do that now?
(I have been using Floris add-on which I would no longer have as it would be confusing. It let me set a tab to a link.)

In fact there are quite a few things that are links I need to have as a dropdown list - I have some admincp favourite links on a tab right now via Floris old add-on. I want to keep them AND add to them.
Also some of the stuff currently under my username like People I follow would be better as far as I'm concerned, under Members.
I realise this links stuff goes outside the scope of this add-on but it certainly partners it and supports it that is how to integrate tabs/ dropdowns for links with it.

FREEING UP SPACE I saw somewhere that another admin had moved the standard tabs on the right up into the mast area - which normally shows as empty to the right of the logo.
Username/ Inbox/ Alerts/ Log Out
I think this would be a very useful support to Jake's nodetabs as it would clear more space for them.
Can anyone provide instruction to do that?

STYLE Can I style these nodetabs -. colours/ backgrounds/ bold, italic/ glow for active tab?
oops I mean different styles for different types of tabs or individual tabs?

This thread shows the tab styling:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-the-color.8749/#post-120671

Styling individual tabs is possible with some custom CSS. Each node tab has a CSS class of "nodetab#" (# is the node_id). You can reference that in EXTRA.css to apply custom styling to an individual tab.

LINKS One issue for me is I provide a suite of chatrooms which MUST be an independent tab as an external link.
How would I do that now?
(I have been using Floris add-on which I would no longer have as it would be confusing. It let me set a tab to a link.)

You can create a link forum and make it a tab. The link forum can be made to link anywhere.

In fact there are quite a few things that are links I need to have as a dropdown list - I have some admincp favourite links on a tab right now via Floris old add-on. I want to keep them AND add to them.
Also some of the stuff currently under my username like People I follow would be better as far as I'm concerned, under Members.
I realise this links stuff goes outside the scope of this add-on but it certainly partners it and supports it that is how to integrate tabs/ dropdowns for links with it.

This addon allows you to show children as sublinks under a tab. Then there is an option to enable the dropdown menu. In that way you can create a dropdown menu of links.

As for the Members tab... this addon doesn't enable you to modify the default tabs. You need to edit the templates for that. It's not related to this addon.

FREEING UP SPACE I saw somewhere that another admin had moved the standard tabs on the right up into the mast area - which normally shows as empty to the right of the logo.
Username/ Inbox/ Alerts/ Log Out
I think this would be a very useful support to Jake's nodetabs as it would clear more space for them.
Can anyone provide instruction to do that?

I saw some one request that. I have never seen it done. That is not a simple modification as it involves both modifying the templates and creating some custom tab styling. But that doesn't relate to this addon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom