• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Nodes As Tabs (with tab selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first one is an add-on, as it states at the bottom of the page: Popular Content Add-on ©2010-2011 xenfans.com

The second one (which is my site) is simply a XenForo Page node which then uses this add-on for the navigation tab.

It's not really on topic for this thread though, if you want help with your site then post in the relevant support forum.

I made a navigation tab with these settings...
AND now I can't remove it :/

49580206.png

All installed but can't find where to start customising with it.
Checked Options for your entry? and Appearances ditto, and the node tree permissions for anything new. Can't see nuffink.

Magic!
I just didn't look down far enough when I checked that. I looked like the same as usual.

A small appearance tweak?
I am creating tabs for each of my top level Categories.
They are all named X CIRCLE / Y CIRCLE/ Z CIRCLE etc.
Elsewhere having the second term CIRCLE is desirable but it eats space with repetition on the navbar. But changing the names would muck up my links everywhere and titles in many places. Also it is intuitively best to keep the full name where it appears alone eg on its own page.

Any possible way to label the tab differently without the repetition term " CIRCLE" ?

Also I would like to construct a tab that lists my categories
So I'd get a tab that displays "ALL CATEGORIES" (my label would not be this but functionally that's it)
Under it I get a dropdown
CAT1
CAT2
CAT3

I can see the secondary links are standard. But how to do the header top link? as it is the root forum.
(For me this is a subdirectory of the site; XF is not root.)

A small appearance tweak?
I am creating tabs for each of my top level Categories.
They are all named X CIRCLE / Y CIRCLE/ Z CIRCLE etc.
Elsewhere having the second term CIRCLE is desirable but it eats space with repetition on the navbar. But changing the names would muck up my links everywhere and titles in many places. Also it is intuitively best to keep the full name where it appears alone eg on its own page.

Any possible way to label the tab differently without the repetition term " CIRCLE" ?

There is no option for that. I recommend changing your category titles. It won't break old links.

Also I would like to construct a tab that lists my categories
So I'd get a tab that displays "ALL CATEGORIES" (my label would not be this but functionally that's it)
Under it I get a dropdown
CAT1
CAT2
CAT3

I can see the secondary links are standard. But how to do the header top link? as it is the root forum.
(For me this is a subdirectory of the site; XF is not root.)

You can do that with this addon if CAT1, CAT2, and CAT3 are all children of a node tab. Edit each category and set their parent to a higher level category, then turn that higher category into a tab.

I recommend changing your category titles. It won't break old links.

Thanks for reassurance.
The term CIRCLE is fundamental to the concept of the board, interlinked circles - philosophy blah blah.
I won't be the only one. Like having Clans, or Teams, or Counties, or Cities, or various other category words in ordinary language.

But in this one place it does not suit because of space. Everywhere else it suits to have it.
Surely there's a way to suppress that sequence of letters in these tabs?

You can do that with this addon if CAT1, CAT2, and CAT3 are all children of a node tab. Edit each category and set their parent to a higher level category, then turn that higher category into a tab.

I think I'm getting better at this because I understood that much.
What I don't see is how to create a node which is actually the root of the forum?

Thanks for reassurance.
The term CIRCLE is fundamental to the concept of the board, interlinked circles - philosophy blah blah.
I won't be the only one. Like having Clans, or Teams, or Counties, or Cities, or various other category words in ordinary language.

But in this one place it does not suit because of space. Everywhere else it suits to have it.
Surely there's a way to suppress that sequence of letters in these tabs?

It requires modifying the PHP code.

I think I'm getting better at this because I understood that much.
What I don't see is how to create a node which is actually the root of the forum?

You need to manually setup your nodes so that everything is under one top level node.

oops ok, right.

Ok thanks.

I made a new Category node ALL CIRCLES/
root node/ Display Order=1 / Order=1/
All the NodeTabs options selected except "Add "Mark Read" Link"

I get a big error screen

That's an interesting error. This looks like a problem with your database and not this addon. I would like to examine your database if you are comfortable giving me FTP access to your server.

I discovered an inconsequential problem with notices and body classes in this addon. "Inconsequential" meaning it doesn't affect the majority of users, and you can easily work around the problem if you are affected by it:

1) If you create a notice for a node tab, that notice will not be inherited by child nodes (whereas normally it would be). An easy workaround is to apply the notice to all child nodes underneath the node tab rather than rely on inheritance.

2) The body classes within a node tab don't necessarily include all ancestors of the current node. This is only a problem for styles that use the body classes for custom CSS. For example, this style modification uses body classes. Similar to the notices, you can work around this problem by specifying the body classes of all child nodes instead of only specifying the parent.

These are very minor problems that haven't been reported by anyone, but I still want to inform you guys.

I tried to fix these problems but I couldn't find a good solution. The problem is that this addon modifies the breadcrumb data to root the crumbs to the tab, but that data also affects the notices and body classes. I can't modify one without affecting the other. I can't find a good solution for this that doesn't involve hacking the templates. An inconsequential problem like this isn't worth a template hack.

Jake you have another helpful thread with a guide on making a tab with a link in it.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-add-a-new-tab-in-the-navbar.7781/page-3#post-308175
This would be even more divine if you added dropdowns to it.

I respectfully suggest you combine these two into a Navtab Administrator.

ps. I still think that the nodes as tabs is SO powerful people are going to need more navbar space.
There are theme designs around that utilise the mast space (above right) to do this. Nodes as tabs is going to need this kind of support to let it use tabs fully.

I replied:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-add-a-new-tab-in-the-navbar.7781/page-3#post-308198

The custom styling is definitely out of scope as that can and should be done in the style system. I posted a reply about that earlier:

This thread shows the tab styling:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-the-color.8749/#post-120671

Styling individual tabs is possible with some custom CSS. Each node tab has a CSS class of "nodetab#" (# is the node_id). You can reference that in EXTRA.css to apply custom styling to an individual tab.

Enabling an entirely new row of tabs is a possibility, but that breaks with the standard nav system which I don't want to do. Hacks like that are better left to style authors.

I'm sorry I haven't grasped the sheer power of this Jake. It takes a while to process what it can do.

I willingly accept all you say on this and on the other thread and again I'm sorry to have weighed on you to explain so much.

However I am going to risk your ire and dig my toes in about making another navbar. It's exactly because your addon here makes tabs so much richer and more powerful that people will want to have more of them. Or to put it another way the priority choices about what to put in the few tabs available will become more intensive.
This can only get worse as we get more addons for XF - Gallery, Portals, Wiki, Markets, Reviews, Clans etc.

So it still seems to me logical to provide the method to make a second set of tabs in the standard XF layout. Yes I agree if someone is using a theme that's different and may need handling differently.
But the standard XF layout leaves a huge empty space up on the right. Some of that is necessary as negative space to offset intense function usage. But it can easily hold a small row of tabs to ease pressure on the main navbar.
Here's a discreet thumbnail to show what it looks like.
navbar-2navbars.webp
(A "Circle" on my board is a Category.)

I will now hold my peace and not pester about it. Promise.

I haven't given out a "Xenforo Tshirt" for a long time.
But I was reflecting how
AWESOME
this mod is .. and how if really helps sites feel more complete.
Before this mod, it took spaghetti code from many sources and mods to accomplish this (and it was admin unfriendly).
xenforo.Tshirt.webp
Great work Jake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom