XF 1.0 Member Card

Wherever* you see a username or an avatar in XenForo, clicking it will open that user's member card.

member-card-png.214

The member card is a small summary of a user's profile, showing various commonly-viewed data, such as user title, gender, message count etc. along with the full size (but cropped to square) version of the user's avatar. Clicking on the username or the 'View Profile Page' link will load the user's full profile page.

There are various useful links on the member card, including links to follow or unfollow the user, start a conversation with them, view their recently-posted messages, or see a summary of the trophies they have accumulated.

trophy-summary-png.216

Loading the member card rather than the full profile page can take a significant weight off the server load.

Of course, for visitors with javascript disabled, a click on a username or avatar will load the normal, full profile page.

* There are a few instances where a click will go directly to the full profile page, or will load the avatar editor.

Attachments

• Member Card.webp
    Member Card.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 3,270
  • Trophy-Summary.webp
    Trophy-Summary.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 3,139
True. That option is not set in my browser.

But all other sites (so far) that I have visited, switch to the new tab automatically.

Can you give me a working example? I'm almost 100% positive this is purely a browser setting. (You can also do right-click → Open Link in Foreground Tab if you don't want to change the option. :))

Can you give me a working example? I'm almost 100% positive this is purely a browser setting. (You can also do right-click → Open Link in Foreground Tab if you don't want to change the option. :))

I cannot. Apparently I am completely wrong. :oops:

Perhaps that changed when I updated my FF 2 weeks ago? :confused:

Please ignore my comments about not switching to the new tab, I am extremely sorry for the distraction.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if there is some way to list all possible trophies (obtained, not obtained list), I have a feeling this will dramatically boost activity on a lot of sites. It reminds me of XBOX "achievements" - users end up spending more time and doing things they probably wouldn't have done normally, because people like rewards. Makes you feel productive, by giving you a means of quantifying your accomplishments.

Also hoping this trophy system is easy enough to extend with awards related to your site's niche (i.e. a Custom Trophies panel in the admin area). And if modifications can easily add trophies as well for using various features - whether through a data manager or some sort of trophy API, that would be excellent.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if there is some way to list all possible trophies (obtained, not obtained list), I have a feeling this will dramatically boost activity on a lot of sites. It reminds me of XBOX "achievements" - users end up spending more time and doing things they probably wouldn't have done normally, because people like getting rewards. Makes you feel productive, by giving you a means of quantifying your accomplishments.

This? http://xenforo.com/community/help/trophies

Except that I was thinking, maybe comparing your obtained trophies to the total trophy list on the same page. Perhaps the ones you haven't collected yet are grayed out, but you can still read what you need to do to collect it.

I'm likin' this idea. :cool:

Middle click isn't working for me... :( still opens the members card, I have to rightclick "Open in new window"

Browser Chrome 6.0.4.xxx

Middle click isn't working for me... :( still opens the members card, I have to rightclick "Open in new window"

Browser Chrome 6.0.4.xxx

You might have to check out what the shortcut is for chrome - it's not the same for all browsers. Also, Ubuntu 10.4 doesn't exist, silly. :P

I like it muchly, one thing that it probably should display is a link to the members site or blog if they have one.

I can see how that could be useful, but it's important to keep the member card as a summary of the user information and not clutter it with too much data. You can always get to a member's homepage link from their full profile page.

You might have to check out what the shortcut is for chrome - it's not the same for all browsers. Also, Ubuntu 10.4 doesn't exist, silly. :p

Meh I missed a 0 Ubuntu 10.04 :P... As for chrome middle click opens all other links in a new tab just not clicking on the profile picture in which case it still opens the member card :(

Meh I missed a 0 Ubuntu 10.04 :p... As for chrome middle click opens all other links in a new tab just not clicking on the profile picture in which case it still opens the member card :(

yeah, would be nice if it opened the profile directly on middle click

Top Bottom