1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For An Offshore VPS Under $40 a Month

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by DRE, Mar 14, 2012.

1. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

This VPS has some stuff set up differently that's rendered every guide I've tried useless.

2. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

oh, sorry about that. That'll teach me to join in at the end of a discussion. Good luck!

3. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Can you cancel?

4. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

I'mma keep trying one more day then after that I'll ask if I can.

5. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

6. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

I followed their directions in this wiki to get everything set up: http://wiki.fanaticalvps.com/tutorial:stack:apache_php_mysql

After I did all that, I pinged my current shared hosting ip and pinged this unmanaged vps and my shared hosting ping is two time slower than the unmanaged vps. Is this because the vps is overseas?

7. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

What is your current VPS IP address? I have a few VPS' in the UK I can ping for you.

8. mojeda

mojeda Member

Did you set the hostname after reinstalling the OS?

9. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

I stalked down fanaticalvps and found them concentrated in one forum. Got banned though lol

http://facepunch.com/threads/1172378

I'll be back to pester them once my ban is lifted. The length of time it takes them to answer a customer support ticket is driving me nuts.

10. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

I haven't touched the host name in the last couple of installs. I'm going to try to set up ISPConfig 3 one more time.

11. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

Stuck at this part: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx-ispconfig-3-p4

15 Install PureFTPd And Quota

Then restart PureFTPd:
    /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd-mysql restart

I get this error:

Restarting ftp server: Running: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql-virtualchroot -l my:/etc/pure-ftpd/db/mysql.conf -l pam -8 UTF-8 -O clf:/var/log/pure-ftpd/trans.log -u 1000 -E -B
    421 Unable to switch capabilities : Operation not permitted

12. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Have a look here for how to fix that:
    http://www.dikant.de/2009/01/22/setting-up-pureftpd-on-a-virtual-server/

The8thLegion likes this.
  13. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

14. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

I don't think my server likes pure-ftpd. Still on Step 15. I got pretty far until it came to this part.

~# nano /etc/fstab
    ~# touch /aquota.user /aquota.group
    ~# chmod 600 /aquota.*
    ~# mount -o remount /
    mount: permission denied

wtf

*tries this solution*

~# chown -R /var/www
    chown: missing operand after `/var/www'
    Try `chown --help' for more information.
    ~# chmod -R 755 /var/www
    ~# mount -o remount /
    mount: permission denied

pft. *throws in the towel*

15. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Some VPS web hosting providers don't require you to setup and configure BIND (host name). Especially if you're only using that 1 domain in the default path of

/var/www/

Everything else can be configured through Apache2 config file if you're adding more than one domain name.

16. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

Yeah I wanna add several. I installed BIND anyway. Going to follow the directions as much as I can even if some stuff doesn't work. I changed my public_html permission back to 750 after I read 755 isn't preferred.

17. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

18. Kent

Kent Active Member

WARNING! The configuration shown there will allow execution of -any- file as PHP. Example: /avatars/8541.jpg/hax.php will execute 8541.jpg as PHP, which is bad news.
    Newer versions of php-fpm have configs to prevent execution of non .php files, but shouldn't be relied upon.
    You should add this to the top of the PHP location block:
    Code:
    location ~ \.php$ {
        try_files $uri =404;
    }
    That will check if the URI exists before continuing, otherwise return 404.
    Read more here: http://wiki.nginx.org/Pitfalls#Root_inside_Location_Block#Passing_Uncontrolled_Requests_to_PHP

...to be a bit more on-topic:
    Santrex offers VPSs in several locations. You can try searching LowEndBox for deals.
    Their France dedis are OVH I believe.

TheVisitors likes this.
  19. DRE

DRE Previously 8thos

How do I add to the top of the PHP location block? Where IS the top of the php location block?

Those are some really good deals.

20. Kent

Kent Active Member

This is the location 'block': location ~ \.php$
    You need to add try_files $uri =404 on the first line after this to prevent execution of arbitrary files.
    Generally, the file you'll be editing is in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/ but it depends on your OS and configuration.