Looking For An Offshore VPS Under $40 a Month

So basically I could upgrade it for the next LTS Ubuntu with the 11.04 I have now and do all of that with a live site? Would the site go down during the upgrade and would it keep my settings?

12.04 should be your goal. It has a lot of improvements and some security issues that they've tried (not so well) to impute into 11.04 / 11.10. Since 12.04 isn't yet released, it would be easier to upgrade to 11.10 and then 12.04 as to have less possible conflicts & an overall easier upgrade into 12.04 once it is released (vs than skipping 11.10 and going from 11.04 to 12.04)

Your site should have no issues provided that at this time, you haven't customized the server or yet installed a control panel.

12.04 should be your goal. It has a lot of improvements and some security issues that they've tried (not so well) to impute into 11.04 / 11.10. Since 12.04 isn't yet released, it would be easier to upgrade to 11.10 and then 12.04 as to have less possible conflicts & an overall easier upgrade into 12.04 once it is released (vs than skipping 11.10 and going from 11.04 to 12.04)

Your site should have no issues provided that at this time, you haven't customized the server or yet installed a control panel.
lol I'm re-installing cent0s 5.

yoou should update to centos6
Alright.

This link says CentOS team recommends a fresh install of CentOS 6 http://olex.openlogic.com/wazi/2011/whats-new-in-centos-6/

'If you’re using CentOS to run a WordPress website, CentOS 6 is probably in your future. WordPress uses PHP, and recently raised its minimum supported PHP version from 4.3 to 5.2.4, meaning WordPress will no longer run on a default CentOS 5.x installation. CentOS 6 supplies PHP 5.3.2 along with MySQL 5.1.52 and Apache 2.2.15.'

^^^I have Wordpress sites installed on my shared server so thats good to know.

lol I'm re-installing cent0s 5.

Wouldn't recommend Cent OS. Uses resources up like water (tweaking required), many security flaws, not user friendly (for new users such as yourself), and at times can prove to be unstable (via updates).

Think of Cent OS like the linux flavor of Windows. Sure everyone uses it, but that doesn't make it good.

Could never stress the level of issues and security you'll face with Cent OS.

Wouldn't recommend Cent OS. Uses resources up like water (tweaking required), many security flaws, not user friendly (for new users such as yourself), and at times can prove to be unstable (via updates).

Think of Cent OS like the linux flavor of Windows. Sure everyone uses it, but that doesn't make it good.

I installed CentOS 6 and am updating it right now.

I'm just going to keep trying until I get it right.

Would still recommend Debian or Ubuntu (in that order).

Wouldn't recommend Cent OS to anyone ......... ever.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon.
Debian's my next choice. I'll probably install that next after accidentally locking myself out of Cent0S 6.

Everything I highlighted in red is incorrect :)

I wanna try something else other than putty but having trouble finding a different command line program.

Everything I highlighted in red is incorrect :)

Says you.

Cent OS is a disgrace to Linux.

My 8 year old niece could walk through Cent OS Linux, after it's been harden by a security expert.

Or put it this.... The CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), the self proclaimed #1 security experts.... Had configured & developed their very own private web server code, physical hardware firewall with their own written firmware, and had basically released their own internal OS (operating system).

Anonymous was able to deface & hack (not DDOS, actually hack) their servers in 15 minutes. How? Despite all their re-written code and customization... They had 1 flaw. They foolishly built up this so called "advance security system" on the base core (minimal core) of Cent OS. Their own original code was good and was very secure, but it was developed around a flawed system.

Just walked right on in as if the place was open for public viewing. With the exception of your 1st visit; the resulting IP on the logs is 127.0.0.1 (local host) as the flaw actually reads you as a local log-in.

The flaw affects Cent OS 5, 5.5, 6 (and any minor version in-between). You'd have to use Cent OS 4 (or earlier) to avoid this flaw.

Says you.

Cent OS is a disgrace to Linux.

My 8 year old niece could walk through Cent OS Linux, after it's been harden by a security expert.

Tell you what, if its so insecure according to you i'll PM you a site for you to try to hack, based on Centos 6. If you can tell me what is the contents of a file i'll place at /var/ you can have some credability to your posts.

Up for it?

He / she can can call me out all they like. I'm not going to "trust" and put in "good faith" in someone I don't know and who has a record of bragging about suing people. I think I'm smarter than that. :rolleyes: :whistle:
I just now saw he was the creator of that thread. My bad lol.

Top Bottom