Japan just hit by magnitude 8.9 earthquake

pq_x.gif

pbyo.png

**** just got real

Yes, well prepared. As prepared as humans can. But you can't really prepare for an earthquake with this magnitude.

And the list of nuclear accidents is long:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_nuclear_disasters_and_radioactive_incidents
Compared to accidents of other types, no it isn't. It's actually very short. 24 civilian accidents since the 1950's.
I counted mining disasters, got to 39 before I got out of the 2000's and never got to the 1990's. So yeah, Nuclear disasters make headlines but they are not nearly as numerous. And only ONE was not contained. Chernobyl.

I'm glad you guys are safe.

My heart is breaking for everyone who is affected by this... it's just awful. :( It's hard to imagine just how devastating a disaster like this is...

Totally agreed. Makes me think about how we felt watching Katrina hammer New Orleans, and the huge swaths north of the city that were still totally abandoned abandoned when we went down there last year.
All our hopes and support to those affected. It's amazing how quickly we can be forced to realize how artificial our little microcosms really are.:eek:

I've very sad to say that...
I
AM
FIZZING! :mad:

3GS, unjailbroken and cannot block the complete **** who is sending me jokes on this. (apologies)

I've very sad to say that...
I
AM
FIZZING! :mad:

3GS, unjailbroken and cannot block the complete **** who is sending me jokes on this. (apologies)
That's pretty effing horrid. There are people who really shouldn't be allowed to interact with others, regardless of their chronological age.

I didn't know this but it seems this quake made the Earth's axis shift a little.
All major quakes do this and it's nothing to be concerned about. Major quakes may even change the rotation speed of our planet resulting in a slightly increasing or decreasing average length of a day (in the magnitude of microseconds, so it's really not a big deal). The natural "wobble" of the earth's axis and the effects of our Moon on these numbers are much more significant.

All major quakes do this and it's nothing to be concerned about. Major quakes may even change the rotation speed of our planet resulting in a slightly increasing or decreasing average length of a day (in the magnitude of microseconds, so it's really not a big deal). The natural "wobble" of the earth's axis and the effects of our Moon on these numbers are much more significant.
I know, I didn't say I was worried about it. ;)

The BBC live updates says:

2139: Radiation levels at the damaged Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant are continuing to rise. The Jiji Press news agency says the levels are eight times above normal. Its report also cites a ministry official as saying there is a "possibility of a radioactive leak".

Top Bottom