Japan just hit by magnitude 8.9 earthquake

The BBC live updates says:

2139: Radiation levels at the damaged Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant are continuing to rise. The Jiji Press news agency says the levels are eight times above normal. Its report also cites a ministry official as saying there is a "possibility of a radioactive leak".
First they wanted to relese some of the radioactive steam out to decrease the pressure O_O
however, that reactor was build around 1977 and is not as modern and improved as the rest
so, the chernobyl scenario is possible, but the radiation should be largely contained...hopefully.

Japan Sakurajima Volcano going off

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's pretty effing horrid. There are people who really shouldn't be allowed to interact with others, regardless of their chronological age.
It really irks me when people make jokes about things like this (though I suppose sometimes they have good intentions to lighten the mood, but still). I browsed Twitter last night as news was coming in--lots of people posting about how no one supposedly helped us during Katrina, how Detroit is supposedly so much worse, etc...wow. :rolleyes: Oh, and this gem from 50 Cent:
@50cent said:
Look this is very serious people I had to evacuate all my hoe's from LA,Hawaii and Japan. I had to do it. Lol
(n)

:: nods ::
Susan and I were just speculating what kind of hate filled "Reason" our state's (VA) local televangelist is likely to come up with for this tragedy.
Makes me ashamed that I share so much genetic code with such people :(.

Thank God you guys are safe and that Al Jazeera exists. Trying to watch CNN is a joke. WTF happened to them? I watched them laughing (!!) at people trying to flee the tsunami in their cars.

It is nonsense like that which makes us EU people think less of (some of) America sometimes. Sorry if that is offensive. I find it less offensive than journalists pretending to be journalists - earning money on the deaths of tens of thousands of others while they have their leg over the other, a mug in their hand, and going 'lulz' on the screen. People reporting on the news and not being able to understand the scope or the reality of the images they're viewing are not journalists in my eyes. Just a poor representation of the nation they're addressing via (inter)national television. "Look everybody, we just laugh at this. Looks funny from above when everybody is so small and running (and not making it). It's ok everybody, because we're the ******** f* news of the us f* a. Let's go to a commercial."

It is nonsense like that which makes us EU people think less of (some of) America sometimes. Sorry if that is offensive. I find it less offensive than journalists pretending to be journalists - earning money on the deaths of tens of thousands of others while they have their leg over the other, a mug in their hand, and going 'lulz' on the screen. People reporting on the news and not being able to understand the scope or the reality of the images they're viewing are not journalists in my eyes. Just a poor representation of the nation they're addressing via (inter)national television. "Look everybody, we just laugh at this. Looks funny from above when everybody is so small and running (and not making it). It's ok everybody, because we're the ******** f* news of the us f* a. Let's go to a commercial."
Totally agreed Floris. The way so much of our society is divorced from any reality that isn't an effing "reality tv show" really REALLY makes me ashamed.
There are a lot of good people out there too... But... Dang. How freaking narcissistic do you need to be to say things like that and think it's not just ok, but a good idea?!? :(

I am very skeptical about sending to anybody after Haiti. The Bill Clinton Foundation isn't official registered and they refuse to mention where the many millions went - besides their own pocket of course. So far the money has been used to travel to the area and start building plans on Hotels while thousands have cholera, etc. They're swimming in the money and it's being repurposed and 'disappears', if you can't even trust an ex President and envoy to get everybody to text their money .. why would I trust anybody else to properly use my funds to assist. We are not talking about the $100m that Obama promised or the corrupt government in Haiti using UN funding for daily operator, but the billions that his fake foundation collected, used 165 million from, and refuses to disclose where the remaining hundreds of millions are, while in the meantime children die in the dozens daily from having to **** all over themselves lying in tents without food. I guess my $10 isn't capable to at least help them - and I should be glad it's being used for personal benefits, or building up an economy for tourism and the corrupt government for the 12+ year plan.

Didn't the India one have that too? Stuff like this scares me ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake_and_tsunami

There are some very interesting numbers about the effects of this major quake (one of the strongest ever) including its effects on earth's global surface deformation, rotation speed increase, axis wobble and energy release (particularly impressive number - the quake released 370 times more energy than being used in the entire united states in a year).

However, these effects aren't scary at all. The gravitational forces of our Moon and the Sun have a much larger impact on our planet's surface. Earth is dealing with such forces for billions of years and will do it for another few without breaking apart :)

I know where you're coming from Floris. That's why I would never donate to a fund like that. I didn't trust him as my president (a whole nuther thread, please), so I didn't trust him with my money for Haiti either. I never give to anything but the Red Cross when it comes to international relief.

Hawaii didn't get much. I live on ocean in N. California and we all evacuated about 5am. But the ocean only rose a little bit and no damage.

Thankfully, we dodged another bullet.

Hawaii didn't get much. I live on ocean in N. California and we all evacuated about 5am. But the ocean only rose a little bit and no damage.

Thankfully, we dodged another bullet.
There were some reports of a harbor between N. California and Oregon being smashed by waves and boats taken out to sea.

Glad you're ok, btw!

12:01 pm Saturday --- woke up about two hours ago, we had another large quake near Nagano, but not much in Tokyo. We're still having aftershocks from either Nagano or Sendai...

More trains are running and the news is focused on the power stations...

First Goal: Find some food. After that, start the clean-up process...

Thanks for the thoughts and wishes here, much appreciated. :)

Top Bottom