It´s time for some official statement what is going on behind xenforo

• Thread starter Thread starter bogus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that there has been an official announcement (again) by xenForo staff, should this thread not be closed?

As a side note, if I were a member of the xenForo support staff, I would strongly suggest that the only forum that a non-licensed member of the community be allowed to post in would be the "pre-sales" forum. At that point, any non-sales related questions/topics would be deleted or moved to a trash forum.

I would be happy to hear complaints, suggestions, commentary and otherwise from those that are paying members here on the support community.

Now that there has been an official announcement (again) by xenForo staff, should this thread not be closed?

I think people have the right to discuss the announcement and let their opinion be known on it. As long as discussion remains civil. People obviously have strongly opposite views on the situation and I think locking the thread would do more harm than good at this point in time.

XenForo in a lot of peoples eyes now is finished, including mine. This site seems to be going through the motions until whatever happens, the business side of things and communication taking place the past 3 months has been utterly abysmal, bordering on being plain outright ignorant towards customers. What a disaster, you've "no idea" how to run a business here. You've alienated most of your customers by ignoring them for months asking for information, many have converted back to vBulletin 4 since, or currently thinking seriously about doing it now.

Well done!
Thank you for motivating me to further support XF. I just purchased my $250 branding free license based on your post.

You are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone.

KAM have been through a lot based on a lawsuit that is, in my opinion, baseless. Despite that, they have put out a product that has exceeded my expectations.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine own.

The software is terrific. While not going too far into comparisons to "other software", I got exactly what I was promised, which demonstrates to me that they have a great idea of how to run a business. This has been a much different (and better) experience than I had with "other software" (where I was promised something more than two years ago, after an up sell on a product that was never delivered). XF promised something, for a fair price, and delivered.

I see great things ahead for this software and for the community. (BTW, I have no intention of removing the branding of XF that I just paid for- I am a proud owner of an XF community and have no intention of removing the brand; I just decided to show my support for KAM with the purchase. I encourage anyone with the wherewithal to do the same).

While it seems they, as a team, are having some difficulties, this is not a surprise given the challenges they have faced. But, they have delivered in every way they promised; I look forward to the next release and also to having the Resource Manager released. While I think these will be great developments, I am even more excited about what they will do in the future. With this team, I am sure they will exceed expectations.

Just my opinion.

Slavik, or any other moderator, may I request that since an official statement (actually two) regarding what is going on with XenForo has come to surface, this thread be closed.

I think this community has already suffered enough, thanks to some idiots whom we all seem to be avoiding to name, and that we all could benefit from some fresh air and some peace around here.

Oh, and I intend to use the Report feature here much more frequently. I hope the responsible members in this lovely community will agree and perhaps even follow suit. ;)

Everyone remembers that. The lawsuit has been around since the early beginning of XF. The question is: Has anything changed in regard to the lawsuit that makes it "harder" today than it might have been yesterday?

If something did change, something so fundamental that made both core developers drop out of sight from one day to the other - and there is nothing to brush this one off easily! - it begs the question if XF is still a feasible long-term investment. Again: the lawsuit is nothing new. We have known about it as did the developers. So please don't use the lawsuit as an excuse for what is going on here right now.

When I joined this community in Jul 29, 2010, pretty much the day of its opening, it flourished with activity from both sides. There was virtually no negativity, and it remained that way until earlier this year when suddenly, without warning, Kier and Mike dropped from this planet. It was definitely not the community having caused this - the community was still in a positive momentum only until afterwards.

Call me a troll because you disagree with me, or because I give you sleepless night in your perfect world, or because I just express what I feel. It doesn't change how I feel and along with me many others do. This feeling is not something made up by some evil conspiracy inspired by some evil competitor. It is genuine. Please respect that.

Have you been involved in a lawsuit? It can build and build and begin to take it's toll. Have you also been drained of capital slowly even though you win? When capital gets low you run out of room to maneuver. I have never recovered from my finanical hits that were not of my doing.

Everyone remembers that. The lawsuit has been around since the early beginning of XF. The question is: Has anything changed in regard to the lawsuit that makes it "harder" today than it might have been yesterday?

If something did change, something so fundamental that made both core developers drop out of sight from one day to the other - and there is nothing to brush this one off easily! - it begs the question if XF is still a feasible long-term investment. Again: the lawsuit is nothing new. We have known about it as did the developers. So please don't use the lawsuit as an excuse for what is going on here right now.

When I joined this community in Jul 29, 2010, pretty much the day of its opening, it flourished with activity from both sides. There was virtually no negativity, and it remained that way until earlier this year when suddenly, without warning, Kier and Mike dropped from this planet. It was definitely not the community having caused this - the community was still in a positive momentum only until afterwards.

Call me a troll because you disagree with me, or because I give you sleepless night in your perfect world, or because I just express what I feel. It doesn't change how I feel and along with me many others do. This feeling is not something made up by some evil conspiracy inspired by some evil competitor. It is genuine. Please respect that.

Did I call anyone a troll? My perfect world? What does that mean? You are free to disagree with me all you like but don't pust words in my mouth. I am trying to give a plausible explanation for what is happening. I am not an expert in the law but I have dealt with it before.

I still want to understand what you meant by "My Perfect World" ? That part makes me think Troll now.

Slavik, or any other moderator, may I request that since an official statement (actually two) regarding what is going on with XenForo has come to surface, this thread be closed.

I think this community has already suffered enough, thanks to some idiots whom we all seem to be avoiding to name, and that we all could benefit from some fresh air and some peace around here.

Oh, and I intend to use the Report feature here much more frequently. I hope the responsible members in this lovely community will agree and perhaps even follow suit. ;)

I don't think it ought to be closed. Perhaps have the thread renamed, or conversations moved to a new thread, but there are some good opinions flying around in here... As long as it's kept civil.

XenForo in a lot of peoples eyes now is finished, including mine. This site seems to be going through the motions until whatever happens, the business side of things and communication taking place the past 3 months has been utterly abysmal, bordering on being plain outright ignorant towards customers. What a disaster, you've "no idea" how to run a business here. You've alienated most of your customers by ignoring them for months asking for information, many have converted back to vBulletin 4 since, or currently thinking seriously about doing it now.

Well done!
I am not in the list. May be the team could have done it better. A disaster? No. It's only 3 months since the last release (1.1.2), and some people made it sounds like 3 years have passed with no development!

I am not in the list. May be the team could have done it better. A disaster? No. It's only 3 months since the last release (1.1.2), and some people made it sounds like 3 years have passed with no development!

I can understand his sentiment though, however extreme it may be.

I hate to even engage in speculation....but the obvious answer to what may have changed from yesterday to today is increased legal fees fighting a spurious lawsuit. More time spent on a case means more money paid out. That is the nature of the beast.

(The rest of this post is not directed to you...it is just my observations).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has a right to either be concerned about the future of XF or to not be concerned. Obviously, such concerns reside on a spectrum. Some will see it as nothing to be worried about. Others will see it as the doom of the project altogether. Most will likely see it (as I do) as a concern, but one that will be overcome in due course. A corollary to the "right" to be concerned is that any concern is by definition subjective (the person's own feelings).

My point is simply this-

XF, as it stands today, is a great forum software. It has exceeded my hopes and has worked better than I expected in my community. It also provides a great framework for further development. The costs in development are likely basically mostly consumed by the developers time. Kier took some time off from posting to deal with personal issues (however, we have no idea if he took time off from developing). Mike posted regularly around the time of the RM implementation here and there were changes made on suggestions (showing that Mike has been engaged with development). We have a public statement earlier today from Ashley and also a confirmation from Kier that development continues. This is a hell of a lot more, over the last several months (even taking into account the time where there was silence) than I ever got from vB. If I were to compare the two platforms, I would say I have a lot more information from XF (and without a bit of contradictory, evasive, or flat out untrue posts than I ever got from vB; at least from version 3.4x, which IIRC, I think is when I first started with forum software). I would also point out that the XF team is "small." It is made up of a core of three (KAM), vice the "hordes" of folks at vB with their multi-millions of deep pockets (and their "not so" secret weapon of Paul K). Point is, in my opinion, people should take the following into account when thinking about XF:
  • Quality of the software as it exists
  • Framework of the software for ease of improvements in the future
  • Reputation and skill of the developers
  • Value of the software for what was paid
  • Comparison to other available options
  • Concern about the legal issues
For some folks (like me), taking into account all of the factors (and I may have missed some), the answer will be a resounding vote of confidence in favor of XF. Others will weigh the factors and say, "no, I think I need another solution." To each his own. But, my view is that XF is the best solution, both now and in the future, for any forum out there.

So what you're saying is unconditional love is conditional? ;)
So a woman getting beaten by her husband shouldn't complain I guess, if you want to nitpick. Sure, go ahead and nitpick on something just to be a smartazz.

So a woman getting beaten by her husband shouldn't complain I guess, if you want to nitpick. Sure, go ahead and nitpick on something just to be a smartazz.

Relax, I was just kidding - I of course get the message you were trying to get across. Fyi winky emoticon 9 times out of 10 means someone isn't being all too serious ... ;)

I wasn't hanging around for the first couple years - just saw the announcement and thought "that one is in the running for moving my forum someday".

I finally made the move this March. I don't assume I will ever regret it (and if I do, that's the breaks) - BUT, I 100% understand the sentiments. If the original team had not hung out here every day for years...then it would not have been an issue. But, like it or not, we all set expectation - sometimes high ones - by our actions.

Most folks would get the drift this way. You start to date a member of the opposite (or same, these days!) sex. This person, unlike your former dates, calls you every day and goes out with you 5 nights a week. In between those time, he or she emails you, messages you, etc.
You feel really fine due to all this attention.....

THEN, after a year or two, she or he abruptly stops any contact, leaving a VM on your system saying "it's not you", that you are still #1 and nothing has changed.

Any way you look at it, the receiver is going to feel a little less important than before! Maybe a LOT less...which is why you see the wide range of feelings and opinions here.

I don't think any of them are misplaced or wrong - rather the problems start when one member starts saying another member is "bad" for expressing theirs. If I was a mod (and I had time), I'd delete each and every post like that - because it is simply a spat between two (or one!) member.

We each get one opinion. We don't each get to have an out-loud opinion about the other 1,000 opinions (IMHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom