Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised by the announcement.

When I first heard about XenForo my first was reaction was wondering the legal repercussions; true, the interface and features quickly took my attention; but this is a harsh reminder to possible customers and third-party developers, hoping to invest time and money into the product, that the issue is not yet resolved.

I think it was a smart, calculated, and sly move on IB's part. And I hope the XenForo team can come up with a few more words of encouragement on the matter other than the beta release being released tomorrow, because that is the least of my concerns at this point.

Had I seen this earlier today, I would not consider buying the vbulletin license that I needed for my two websites.

Oh well, that will be the last cash they get from me. I will buy 3 xenForo licenses when the sale goes live in a few hours.

Bite me, Internet Brands! BITE ME!

Infringement of software? What? Awe wow. Might as well sue IPB, SMF, and other forum software products out on the market, but noo iB wants to be a bully to the new guy in town.

Breach of Contract? Um. Kier said that they left, and developed this shining new product.

Countersue, Kier. COUNTER SUE!

When I first heard about XenForo my first was reaction was wondering the legal repercussions; true, the interface and features quickly took my attention; but this is a harsh reminder to possible customers and third-party developers, hoping to invest time and money into the product, that the issue is not yet resolved.

I think it was a smart, calculated, and sly move on IB's part. And I hope the XenForo team can come up with a few more words of encouragement on the matter other than the beta release being released tomorrow, because that is the least of my concerns at this point.
Lets not forget this is going down in the Uk court so most of you thinkings about legal battles can go down the drain leaving just plain logic and common sense as witnesses.

Remember news was published UK evening. I expect a more formal, affirmative announcement from Kier/Mike after consulting lawyers. Today, they might not have got enough time. First they need to receive a copy of lawsuit, understand the charges, consult lawyers and then they can make a formal announcement if okayed by the lawyer

Tomorrows release announcement looks intended to just convey no change in plan specially not mentioning anything directly regarding the lawsuit.

I don't even know what has been "stolen" which was the alleged property of IB. I've read a whole slew of nonsense from people claiming that ideas and features of other software cannot be duplicated. Total hogwash. Most of these "features" can be duplicated and are not patentable - you just cannot steal the code that makes the magic happen and you have to create your own. I'm going to write an article on my assessment but, without any actual knowledge of the claim, it's only speculation. Perhaps IB has a legitimate claim, I don't know. If they do, it's not bullying at all and I would understand why they are upset. From the way they made it sound, it seems that they are claiming that significant pieces of code from vbulletin are a core part of XF... From my observation XF looks, feels and acts very differently. Until we know different, these could be quite legitimate claims or just greatly overbroad allegations made by a big company with money to spend and hoping to stave off what appears to be a formidable competitor using every means available.

PS - Who said Ray Morgan was fired? He said he was planning to leave IB to build his home. Perhaps someone took bonus money for a huge pre-sale and left the mess to someone else?

Ya I agree. This is what scares me a bit. It is possible Kier and company missed something and breached it accidentally. And in that case if we all purchase a license. Especially we could be kissing that $ good bye, like we did with our vB3.8 licenses.

I would love to see the actual legal filing against XenForo.
Until official words we can only speculate and go by Adrian post on vbulletin.comas so far is the only "proof" of such a claim.

Also is very weird as no statement have been made on Internet Brands website.

vbstewie.webp

A little Photoshop fun to visually describe how I'm feeling towards the whole situation.

I don't even know what has been "stolen" which was the alleged property of IB. I've read a whole slew of nonsense from people claiming that ideas and features of other software cannot be duplicated. Total hogwash. Most of these "features" can be duplicated and are not patentable - you just cannot steal the code that makes the magic happen and you have to create your own. I'm going to write an article on my assessment but, without any actual knowledge of the claim, it's only speculation. Perhaps IB has a legitimate claim, I don't know. If they do, it's not bullying at all and I would understand why they are upset. From the way they made it sound, it seems that they are claiming that significant pieces of code from vbulletin are a core part of XF... From my observation XF looks, feels and acts very differently. Until we know different, these could be quite legitimate claims or just greatly overbroad allegations made by a big company with money to spend and hoping to stave off what appears to be a formidable competitor using every means available.

PS - Who said Ray Morgan was fired? He said he was planning to leave IB to build his home. Perhaps someone took bonus money for a huge pre-sale and left the mess to someone else?
They made the claim without even looking at xF's source code. I'm pretty sure there's a legal term for that but i lack the knowledge in that field to know what it is

Ok I've removed some very unnecessary posts from this thread (and replies to them, sorry guys).

Last warning (really it is), lay off the personal insults against any IB employee, past or present.
If you can't, this thread will be closed.

Thanks much for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom