I'm a dad!

Oddly enough I said to the wife tonight that I was dreading the time she gets her first boyfriend.

As a friend once said, "Daughters are nature's way of punishing you for being a man. You live in fear of the day they meet someone like you were at 15."
Oh god, I hope I never have a daughter!!!

Oddly enough I said to the wife tonight that I was dreading the time she gets her first boyfriend.

As a friend once said, "Daughters are nature's way of punishing you for being a man. You live in fear of the day they meet someone like you were at 15."

Uh huh... And I have 3 daughters...

100% accurate. :D

I don't know how I ended up here but I am so happy that I did. May I send my belated congratulations to you Brogan. What a cute little lady you have there. God bless...

I've had my first child, a son, a year and two weeks after you as well and yes, what a life changer. I can't believe that he'll be 5 months old next Tuesday.

A biker friend sent us some Harley babies' garment from LA, and when I apologised that I couldn't take a photo of him with them yet for he's not old enough to fit in them, he said:

"Ah, don't worry, he'll be there in no time. As far as I remember, at those ages they only fit in them for twenty minutes or so."

They grow up with a light speed, indeed.

K.

Wow!
This thread brings back some memories.

They grow up with a light speed, indeed.

K.
Indeed they do.
She's over 17 months old now, this was taken a month or so ago.

0009.webp

Still proud, but knackered and I've aged about 10 years :D

Oh, err ignore the dirty window :whistle:

Oh well, I was about to congratulate you, but I see it would have been 17 months late!

And I was thinking Maya was an apt name for 2012 as well, with the Mayan 2012 thing.

Oh well, congratulations! My daughter is 3 months this weekend, I don't know where the last 3 months have gone.

IMG_8946.webp

I can 100% concur with the daughter thing (have 2).....we went through that "phase" already! Wow. Think up the worst things you can imagine and you'll be just about right......
:LOL:
But now they are in their 30's, so all is well. Heck, now we have the grand daughter to worry about. But we don't have to deal with that sex things....we'll leave that to the proud parents. We just get the good part......
bela1.webp

Brogan I am not surprised you are a father. The qualities of maturity were obvious to me before you mentioned it.

There was some research recently on how men's hormones change if they are directly involved with their child at or around the birth, and in daily life. Obviously this happens for women on a profound level with a few exceptions, and we have little choice as our biology swamps us once a pregnancy is established. But until now we did not have biological evidence of the male parallel. Apparently it stimulates the caring protective hormones (no surprise) which moderates the hooligan ones! However the savagery is still there at the service of protection.

This matches anthropological data I knew which tells us that in societies where men are required to go away on hunting trips, go to war a lot, work long distance as eg lorry drivers - there are customs that forbid the man to have any contact with his small children, or very little indeed. These societies understand very well that this "weakens" a man in the sense that it will agonise him to go away to do his necessary duties for the community.
Of course what is "weaker" for a society stuck in war mode, or compelled to send its men away to earn money or hunt food, looks very different in a society where men do not have to be torn out of their families. In that context their caring and protective maturity is strength.

It becomes interesting to look at why we still train boys to be tougher and more detached.Hitler. Goering and the British Huxley have famously analysed this - generate the idea of being under attack and you have all the political control you could desire.

I remember around 5 - 7 small boys in my son's circle picking up on schooly values that cuddling mother was taboo/ forbidden. Not 'manly.' I saw that this was connected to the separation from mother/ smaller children as in the anthropology above, and the fantasy of society at war. This was discussed in the family and careful choices offered to our son. He came through with great courage and strength and ever since we have had this gentle giant who happily cuddles and protects as part of his manliness. Interestingly though he is advancing into his 20s with a quiet caution on parenting - well aware of its big demands.

Guardian mode men are just THE BEST.

LOL I know myself too well...I am way to protective of those I love to have kids...let alone a baby girl...I'll save that task for you guys who want to be driven insane. :D

Top Bottom