Ignore / Filter System

Forsaken

This is from one of my older posts, but it was several different ideas, and I rather this one be added rather then any of the others.

Ignore/Filter System
One thing I've noticed that is currently lacking (In the form of user ignore) currently, and that most forums do not extend more then the basic concept, is the ignore function.

• Users: Rather then just ignore their posts, PM's and such, I'd like to see them completely ignored. More then once, I've been on a forum where there was a person that I could barely stand would aggravate me.
  • Forums/Categories: The ability to completely hide forums or categories, and filter out any threads or posts in them. I often don't read introduction forums, or site showcases, and I rather not have to sift through them when I use the "What's New?" link.
  • Threads/Posts: Ability to ignore certain threads and posts. This is more because I rarely participate in forum games where yous say something about the previous poster.

Upvote 237
if he has paid for the licence, he isnt a beggar ! mind your language
My language was fine, my point was that we can't choose what features they're going to include before or after the stable release, nor when they can get to this feature.

I rather not have the feature (And wait), than to have one that was like vBulletins, where there wasn't much point in using the feature.

id rather have a stone-age ignore function than none at all.
this will increase my workload by an astronomical degree and force me into a mediator role.

im hoping k&m dont actually believe ignore functionality, however rudimentary, is something that can wait until 1.2 or whatnot. this becoming more worrisome for me every day.

Admin/Moderator:
  • Forces Ignore/Block/Dunce Hats (if they are not able to behave)
  • Auto/Select Apply (amount of time... Hours, Days, Weeks, Months, Permanent)

This would only work if you are logged in and or private forum(s), as you can still see posters (in open forums) comments and it just continues...

Ignore feature is a must have to me. As we get users who are sometimes "bothered" by others. Allowing our users the option to ignore a user usually helps settle any issues between them. I cant imagine how many inbox messages our moderators and admins are going to receive without this option being available please consider it :love:

It's not much use if you can only ignore users, and not threads, so I hope the ignore system will be a full solution.
Theres at least 10+ people I wish to ignore here, so if its just users, I can deal with it to start with.

Hopefully it is a full solution however.

Theres at least 10+ people I wish to ignore here, so if its just users, I can deal with it to start with.

Hopefully it is a full solution however.

It would be a start, but really far from what's needed(*). Let's not go too far away, and just look at the XenForo forum here. There are tons of modifications, templates etc, each with its own thread. I'm interested in SOME of them, and I'm not interested in others. I still have to look through those that I'm not interested in to find the ones I am. If I could just ignore the ones that I'm not interested in, and never will be, life would be a lot easier.

And that example is just for this forum. Now imagine a site with lots of topics.

(*) Okay, I can't speak for everyone here, but on my vbulletin forum, none of my users could imagine life without the ignore thread feature. I think the only people who can imagine life without it are the ones who have never tried it, and never seen how really easy it makes your forum life.

vBulletin's ignore functionality sucks purely because a post by an ignored member is replaced with "you have ignored this member. Click here to see the post" how silly
Indeed. When someone is ignored, the person who ignored them should be completely oblivious to their activity (and vice versa). Just like on Facebook.

Top Bottom