Ignore / Filter System

Forsaken

This is from one of my older posts, but it was several different ideas, and I rather this one be added rather then any of the others.

Ignore/Filter System
One thing I've noticed that is currently lacking (In the form of user ignore) currently, and that most forums do not extend more then the basic concept, is the ignore function.

• Users: Rather then just ignore their posts, PM's and such, I'd like to see them completely ignored. More then once, I've been on a forum where there was a person that I could barely stand would aggravate me.
  • Forums/Categories: The ability to completely hide forums or categories, and filter out any threads or posts in them. I often don't read introduction forums, or site showcases, and I rather not have to sift through them when I use the "What's New?" link.
  • Threads/Posts: Ability to ignore certain threads and posts. This is more because I rarely participate in forum games where yous say something about the previous poster.

Upvote 237
1 question: If you block a PC from user X and you are invited into a PC with users X, Y and Z: what happens? Is user X ignored and the conversation may make no logical sense or are they unignored for the purpose of this conversation?
I would think it would function the same way.

For instance:
Bob ignores Mark.

Stan creates a new private message with himself, Bob and Mark.
Mark makes a post in this message. Bob does not see this new 3 party conversation yet, as the only person to post in the conversation is on his ignore.
He will only be informed of this private conversation when either Stan posts, or when he un-ignores Mark.

Also (separate topic, kind of)
I think having "block Mark from sending you private messages" would be to just include that in the "block User" function. Ignoring should be full scale (I nearly typed ignorance, hah
In this instance, there should be 2 tiers: friends and all-else. You can allow either friends-only to contact you, or you can be publicly available. It seems reasonable enough.

I say make it as mean as you possibly can, that way people are much more inclined to use the feature, as they can imagine horrible things being done to the person being ignored.

I think that's the only way I'd ever get people to use it - if they thought it was a punishment of some kind. It didn't work as just a "now you don't have to see his posts" device. They would rather see the posts and work themselves up into a rage.

• Users: Rather then just ignore their posts, PM's and such, I'd like to see them completely ignored. More then once, I've been on a forum where there was a person that I could barely stand would aggravate me.
  • Forums/Categories: The ability to completely hide forums or categories, and filter out any threads or posts in them. I often don't read introduction forums, or site showcases, and I rather not have to sift through them when I use the "What's New?" link.
  • Threads/Posts: Ability to ignore certain threads and posts. This is more because I rarely participate in forum games where yous say something about the previous poster.

Ignore System is a feature that has been anticipated by internet forums users for years. I assume it must be fairly easy to implement. I hope it will be in Xenforo core functionality soon!

Wait, what? There's no ignore list? God, that's going to lead to a lot of shouting at me, and will certainly strengthen the case of those users who think we should go back to vBulletin.

so has there been any official word on an ignore function for xf?
possibly in beta4? generic vb-style ignore? is ignoring even a consideration?
its kinda important to me... if there is no ignore function i would be forced into moderation and conflict resolution, which is something i am not very interested in.

I believe beta releases will not include the addition of any major new features, just improvements of existing features and bug solving. You'll probably have to wait for an add-on.

I believe beta releases will not include the addition of any major new features, just improvements of existing features and bug solving.
That's generally how a beta phase works, yes.

Constantly introducing new features leaves the potential for more bugs and problems so it just indefinitely extends the beta phase and prohibits the software from being released as stable.

ignoring is hardy a feature. its core functionality since the days of ubb.
i will find it shocking if xf ships without even the most rudimentary ignore functionality.

ignoring is hardy a feature. its core functionality since the days of ubb.
i will find it shocking if xf ships without even the most rudimentary ignore functionality.
I wouldn't call it core functionality; I've yet to see any platform that offers a decent implementation, which is what this thread is asking for.

They're ignoring this thread, they're just not replying to it (Though I think one of them did, but it was deleted when the thread went off-topic).

it is being suggested that xf will go gold without any sort of ignore functionality full stop.
certainly a basic, rudimentary ignore option is core functionality in 2010.

it is being suggested that xf will go gold without any sort of ignore functionality full stop.
certainly a basic, rudimentary ignore option is core functionality in 2010.
Beggars can't be choosers :).

I'll just make my users aware that they'll have to report things until there is an ignore function.

Top Bottom