I Bit the Bullet and MOVED Servers to Mikes!

The Mumble server and the ability to use my own site domain as the IP Connection address is honestly what interests me. I actually have asked my host about hosting Ventrilo but they said no.

As long as you have control of your DNS entries which I am sure you do. You can point a sub domain to any voice host your using. The main thing is your usually going to have a custom port number tacked on the end because unless your the only mumble server on the machine you can't all have the default. I usually use the sub domain voice.whatever.com so that If the community wants to change VoIP software the URL stays the same.

So if you go with Mike but decide your users don't want to use Mumble you still have the option of using him as a host and your domain as the URL to a VoIP server.

I had multiple account with an ISP that were prepaid (in one case > 3 years out) that disabled the account with my busiest site, i.e. the one that subsidizes almost everything else. I quietly move the sites, starting w/ the most active ones, to a VPS elsewhere, and then requested refunds based on paying the non-discounted rate for the current year. The account were closed and fair refunds were credited back to my credit card.

Don't feel locked in if you've prepaid to 2017!
I don't feel locked in at all. As I said before they will refund me for any time I paid for but didn't use. The biggest thing now is that my site isn't live and has no community so it's pointless to pay more for a host when I could be using the funds to continue site development. When I get closer to the site grand opening, I will consider Mike's services.
As long as you have control of your DNS entries which I am sure you do. You can point a sub domain to any voice host your using. The main thing is your usually going to have a custom port number tacked on the end because unless your the only mumble server on the machine you can't all have the default. I usually use the sub domain voice.whatever.com so that If the community wants to change VoIP software the URL stays the same.

So if you go with Mike but decide your users don't want to use Mumble you still have the option of using him as a host and your domain as the URL to a VoIP server.
I'll have to read about that.

I'll have to read about that.

You are on a shared host now i assume so either you registered your domain elsewhere and are pointed to your hosts name servers OR you registered or transfered to them and still same deal your using their name servers.

In your control panel for that host will be a place to edit sub domains. Your main domain will usually be pointed to a folder like public_HTML. You create a sub domain let's say voice, make it an A record and then put in the IP the voice host gives you. Now when your users connect it will be voice.your domain.com:port so for example we run our ts server off a VPS in new York but we kept our old port number from when we used to rent and Ours is voice.tbgclan.com:6200 we had that address with our last team speak host and it stayed the same when we moved to hosting yourself.

If you run a VPS or dedicated server for your main website which at this point you likely don't, then your control panel for your domain DNS entries would be with the registrar like go daddy hover name cheap, who ever.

The thing is to keep in mind your voice server and web host can be very much separate. If you start voice services and then want to move web hosts your likely not stuck having to move both.

Yes indeed! It IS! I have, of course, been closely monitoring it today... looking for lags... haven't seen any sluggishness anymore. What is awesome, is that an add on someone worked on for me to make it work in a custom way for me... that add on didn't work after his last update to it to do what he tried to make it do... this was on Blue Host. I noticed, that add on installed now on the new server works exactly how he had modified it to do! Just goes to show, a poor host CAN affect programming/coding!

and then the 2nd time, I think was actually TAUNTING me in the sense of my server not being secure and actually said I should go with Mike's hosting and posted a link to his site!

Did you not think this was somewhat suspicious? Inside hack perhaps? Obviously someone who knew you were contemplating a change.

I likely WOULD have done it earlier... as just the other day BH had an outtage that lasted several hours.

Yeah I was not impressed with that either. But I must add in the past 15 years of being hosted there this is the first time they had this kind of outage. It was apparently a storm issue that Bogarted the lines.

Did you not think this was somewhat suspicious? Inside hack perhaps? Obviously someone who knew you were contemplating a change.
Oh you can bet your sweet arse I thought that. At that time though I was NOT looking for a new host. It was someone who is a member here obviously because I had mentioned one of the guys names that works for me that was called out the first and second hack. Then on the second hack told me I should go with Mike's hosting. So this person is obviously familiar with Mike's hosting and knows it's a nice and solid platform. After the first hack, I trusted no one and was looking at everyone, including Mike and the people that work for me. It became quite obvious it wasn't the people that work for me as their name was called out in a really negative light, and then they spent hours upon hours with me getting the forum back up and running, including speaking to the owner of the company that works for me via Skype calling. I also PC'ed Mike about it and he was just as ticked as I was because his name and company was used with this hack job. He doesn't need to hack people to get work. He has plenty of customers and good-standing reputation with XF Community.

Yeah I was not impressed with that either. But I must add in the past 15 years of being hosted there this is the first time they had this kind of outage. It was apparently a storm issue that Bogarted the lines.
I continue to use BH for one of my blogs. Its more than adequate for that... but I did NOT find it very good for running a XF forum on. Then when there may be problems within the server, they don't know jack about the XF software so they can't help you much with troubleshooting issues that may be on the server level, and how that may be affecting your forum and CAN AND DOES affect coding/programming (add ons). I have an add on that someone here kind of tweaked for me to do something I was needing. When on BH what he did, did not work. When I switched to Mike's hosting, all of the sudden I noticed that that add on was working the way the guy intended for it to work on my forum.

I continue to use BH for one of my blogs. Its more than adequate for that... but I did NOT find it very good for running a XF forum on. Then when there may be problems within the server, they don't know jack about the XF software so they can't help you much with troubleshooting issues that may be on the server level, and how that may be affecting your forum and CAN AND DOES affect coding/programming (add ons). I have an add on that someone here kind of tweaked for me to do something I was needing. When on BH what he did, did not work. When I switched to Mike's hosting, all of the sudden I noticed that that add on was working the way the guy intended for it to work on my forum.

I agree that would be grounds for a change of hosts.

One thing that has me looking for a different host is that BH limits the number of database tables per accounts. You can have all the databases you want but the total tables cannot exceed 1000 so yeah I'm looking too LOL
It's nice to know that Mike's is XF friendly as that is a plus when I switch.

I agree that would be grounds for a change of hosts.

One thing that has me looking for a different host is that BH limits the number of database tables per accounts. You can have all the databases you want but the total tables cannot exceed 1000 so yeah I'm looking too LOL
It's nice to know that Mike's is XF friendly as that is a plus when I switch.
Yes, because he knows the in's and out's of XF himself, and hosts a ton of XF forums on his site, so he knows how the server should be set up to help prevent forum/add-on errors and to make XF run like it should on the host. Not to mention, his hosting is WAY faster than BH.

I only just now for the first time really really read through all the posts and I find it very very strange to be hacked and then be recommended to a different host by the hacker. In fact, I find it pretty suspicious. Not saying that Mike had anything to do with it, but if I was hacked, I more than likely wouldn't move to the host they are telling me to go to.

What exactly was hacked? Your server? Your forum? Your user account?

I only just now for the first time really really read through all the posts and I find it very very strange to be hacked and then be recommended to a different host by the hacker. In fact, I find it pretty suspicious. Not saying that Mike had anything to do with it, but if I was hacked, I more than likely wouldn't move to the host they are telling me to go to.

Agree, but I think whoever it was there idea back fired and she ended up going to us rather then trying to push them away. We have a great reputation here minus 2-3 haters.. which any company would always have. We'd have no logical reason to hack a forum to get a new client, even more so as you said most cases that would even make it more less likely to go with us after it happened. So with that, I assure you I had no knowledge of this until Misty had told me what had happened in a PM.

Agree, but I think whoever it was there idea back fired and she ended up going to us rather then trying to push them away. We have a great reputation here minus 2-3 haters.. which any company would always have. We'd have no logical reason to hack a forum to get a new client, even more so as you said most cases that would even make it more less likely to go with us after it happened. So with that, I assure you I had no knowledge of this until Misty had told me what had happened in a PM.

@xIsabel38 The server and the forum. There are apparently security breeches in BHs servers and holes that someone with experience would know how to get in. They deleted databases, corrupted backups, and defaced my forum -- oh and last time they also left a malware/virus implanted in the index file. They deleted my entire forum and then created top and sub-level forum categories with the defacing of it (the messages to us). They said my tech guy "knows ****" and the second time said the same thing, PLUS saying I should go with Mike's hosting.

Well of course they would think that I WOULDN'T go with him because the hackers mentioned him. Just like Mike said, their little plan backfired... I was like ya' know what... he is a very well-respected member of the XF Community and has no need to be involved in such crap, and when I told him about it, he was sending me a PC nearly daily asking if I had found out any more about the hacker because he wanted to know why his name was being used. Even though it was used in a way promoting him, any person without really THINKING about it would be like, "oh I am not using his service!". Might I add, the 3rd hack left some kind of message relating to being a turkish hacker... when I googled the message that was left defacing my forum, this "E07" apparently gets around and you can google his message and pull up tons of sites that have either been hacked by him, or are currently hacked and you can see his defacing. A lot of times he leaves a message with it saying "fix your bugs." So yeah, just because someone you know or know who they are's name is mentioned doesn't mean they had anything to do with it. That's what the hackers WANT is for you to begin pointing fingers at everyone. Guys, it's not rocket science, it's pure sociology and psychology. They want to break down your walls and your trust amongst people. This forum has 40k members, and is obviously seen by thousands and thousands of people. Typically really smart people too... coders, programmers, developers, and yes... hackers. They can and will use and take what you say on here to use it against you. That is the only way the hacker could have known the name of my tech help guy, as I had mentioned it here when I first started. He then got on to me for using it just for reasons like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, it's not rocket science, it's pure sociology and psychology. They want to break down your walls and your trust amongst people. This forum has 40k members, and is obviously seen by thousands and thousands of people. Typically really smart people too... coders, programmers, developers, and yes... hackers. They can and will use and take what you say on here to use it against you. That is the only way the hacker could have known the name of my tech help guy, as I had mentioned it here when I first started. He then got on to me for using it just for reasons like this.
As I said, I'm sure Mike didn't have anything to do with it. But taking the person's words as truth is going to be highly based on what they did to you in the first place.

You would wonder why they'd tell you to go there? If they wanted to "help" you they wouldn't have defaced your Database or ruined your forum three times. They could have hacked in, made some simple easy noticeable but non-detrimental change to "Prove" that they could hack into your system, and then send you some sort of Email or PM explaining what they did and how you could fix it. In this case, a recommendation to move to a different host may be acknowledged. But completely destroying your stuff on three separate occasions doesn't really put any face value to what the person has to say thereafter.

I'm using Justhost, which is operated by the same company that operates Bluehost. So this is very disturbing to me. Do you have any screen shots of any of the defacing?

As I said, I'm sure Mike didn't have anything to do with it. But taking the person's words as truth is going to be highly based on what they did to you in the first place.

You would wonder why they'd tell you to go there? If they wanted to "help" you they wouldn't have defaced your Database or ruined your forum three times. They could have hacked in, made some simple easy noticeable but non-detrimental change to "Prove" that they could hack into your system, and then send you some sort of Email or PM explaining what they did and how you could fix it. In this case, a recommendation to move to a different host may be acknowledged. But completely destroying your stuff on three separate occasions doesn't really put any face value to what the person has to say thereafter.

I'm using Justhost, which is operated by the same company that operates Bluehost. So this is very disturbing to me. Do you have any screen shots of any of the defacing?

@xIsabel38 I am not quite sure what you are trying to say. What do you mean by "if they wanted to help"... ??? or making a "non-detrimental change ... and then send me some sort of email or PM explaining..." or "doesn't really put any face value to what the person has to say thereafter."

This doesn't make any sense really. Who ever said these were nice people trying to help me?? Or taking their advice because I trust them?? I am not sure about where you got this idea from.

What they did was simple reverse psychology. They did what they did to scare me, to make me point fingers at everyone, to taunt me by showing me very clearly that they can easily get in to my server. These people we were able to figure out there is no way they were cracking passwords or anything because they were changed all the way down to the server numerous times. They never in a million years would think I'd really up and move to Mikes. Because the moment I had made up my mind and announced it to my moderating team in our "private" mod room, they hacked me the same night Mike was in the process of trying to move to his server. This is when the most damage was done in a quick time frame... they did NOT want me to move to him that's for sure...

Oh and yeah I do have screen shots... but am not sharing them. What would be the point? I am saying everything that was done, imagine a blank forum other than two categories that have crap talk on them. Thats it, end of story.

Top Bottom