I Bit the Bullet and MOVED Servers to Mikes!

MistyMeanor

After much internal agony and debate... my gut told me I needed to move. Really I didn't have any major problems I could 100% prove were due to my server. But am sick and tired of every time there is any issue, it's blamed on my server.

Boy am I glad I did. Got hacked yet again last night. I am obviously being watched here and on my forum. I told my mods, in private mod room we were moving servers and guess what? Boom! Got hacked! This time left a message something about *Turkish Hacker E07* Whatever...

Anyway, tried to destroy my backups. Still had good and solid backup to go by... and @Mike Edge got me moved quickly. Everything is back in tact, and everything is on LOCK DOWN. I feel much safer with his server. Blue Host refunded all my money nearly. What he offered me was well worth every penny. It is still early, and I am still wary and always looking over my shoulder. Wouldn't be posting this if I didn't feel safe. IF someone gets in at this point, it's through an add-on. No doubt about it.

I also moved to mike recently and must say the service I've received has been fantastic. Even when I made a basic schoolboy error, and inadvertently wiped my database, mike had everything back up in what seemed like minutes. The site is also so much faster than its ever been before.

Highly recommended

Glad you finally took that leap. I agree the offerings are quite delicious. I have been banging my head on a table the last few days trying to get a custom server setup and some days it's pretty tempting.

I have thought about moving over to xfHost myself but my hosting is pre-paid all the way to 2017 so I don't know.

Depends on how your current is tbh, if you feel like you can deal with them through 2017 then stick it out. But if they're giving you trouble, switch to XF. No regrets.

After much internal agony and debate... my gut told me I needed to move. Really I didn't have any major problems I could 100% prove were due to my server. But am sick and tired of every time there is any issue, it's blamed on my server.

Boy am I glad I did. Got hacked yet again last night. I am obviously being watched here and on my forum. I told my mods, in private mod room we were moving servers and guess what? Boom! Got hacked! This time left a message something about *Turkish Hacker E07* Whatever...

Anyway, tried to destroy my backups. Still had good and solid backup to go by... and @Mike Edge got me moved quickly. Everything is back in tact, and everything is on LOCK DOWN. I feel much safer with his server. Blue Host refunded all my money nearly. What he offered me was well worth every penny. It is still early, and I am still wary and always looking over my shoulder. Wouldn't be posting this if I didn't feel safe. IF someone gets in at this point, it's through an add-on. No doubt about it.

Why would somebody try to hack you? Makes no sense. It's not like you have valuable secrets inside. LOL

Why would somebody try to hack you? Makes no sense. It's not like you have valuable secrets inside. LOL

Random forum attackers. Not usually a specific target although managing a site for a gaming community we are a bit more used to actually being attacked. Anyone can be a victim if there is something to exploit.

Most often automated attacks based on known problems you usually don't get a random attacker trying too hard. They will try to exploit the server or installed software or a hole in a plugin and they usually dont "hack" you but they will often replace an index file or an htaccess file and disrupt the site. Though if the site is exploitable enough I have seen attempts to dump and download the database.

I have been using @Mike Edge and xFHost almost since the day he started his service. He actually used to work for the company I was getting my hosting with before he started his own service. Well no one at that company knew anything about xF except Mike. So it only seemed logical once he started his own company to switch over to him. While there were some downtime in the beginning and some when the company he was getting his servers through suspended his servers (nothing he could control) I have never been happier with my hosting. I have used alot of hosts in the past but none have ever given me the level of service and support as xFHost has.

I have thought about moving over to xfHost myself but my hosting is pre-paid all the way to 2017 so I don't know.
I was prepaid through 2016 as well, and didn't think in a million years that Blue Host would refund me. They refunded everything I haven't used, down to the hour it is prorated. So hit up your server's live chat if they have one, and ask. I did, and once I got that confirmation, I signed up with @Mike Edge ... so I highly recommend you do so! You can pre-pay with him over 1,2,3 years as well.

I was prepaid through 2016 as well, and didn't think in a million years that Blue Host would refund me. They refunded everything I haven't used, down to the hour it is prorated. So hit up your server's live chat if they have one, and ask. I did, and once I got that confirmation, I signed up with @Mike Edge ... so I highly recommend you do so! You can pre-pay with him over 1,2,3 years as well.
Did you get the 100-Slot Mumble server? If so, how has that been working for you?

You got me @Deepmartini! Craziest crap I have ever seen... not only was my forum hacked three times, it was defaced. The first time with specific call outs to the people that manage my forum daily stuff (which I had mentioned the owners name here when I first started -- so had to be where the hacker got their information) and then the 2nd time, I think was actually TAUNTING me in the sense of my server not being secure and actually said I should go with Mike's hosting and posted a link to his site! Guess the hackers never thought in a million years I would REALLY take their advice! HAHAHAHA! Because they must've said that KNOWING he has good hosting and showing how poor mine was, and that they couldn't get in to his. Then I figure they were still IN my site even after 2nd hack, and watching me there as well, because I posted in our mods chat about us moving to Mike. I don't think timing was coincidental that got hacked again within a few hours of posting that. This time it was worse... they implanted a malware/virus, they corrupted my backups (luckily still had other's), and defaced the forum again with the "turkish hacker" note. They didn't want me moving! Blue Host caught this one, but deactivated me and would be shut down in 15 days if not cleaned within that time and would lose everything.

I mean my forum has like 60 members! It's a forum for people with disabilities!! Not a site, in a million years, would not only hack me once... but 3x and it SEEMED personal. But there is no possible way it is personal. I don't have a lot of enemies or anything.

Did you get the 100-Slot Mumble server? If so, how has that been working for you?

That's a different package that's hosting, minecraft and mumble combined. If you did end up going with us Isabel, we could work something out to include a mumble server too.

That's a different package that's hosting, minecraft and mumble combined. If you did end up going with us Isabel, we could work something out to include a mumble server too.
The Mumble server and the ability to use my own site domain as the IP Connection address is honestly what interests me. I actually have asked my host about hosting Ventrilo but they said no.

I used to have a Ventrilo server that I offered freely to site users and some people took advantage of it while grouping with randoms or starting up their own Guilds. But as I said in our PM I think it was, my site is currently still under major construction so since I do not have any users yet, I have no need to move away from my host. However, I have been looking at your services for a while now and when the time comes that I do open my doors and if I do feel a move is going to be required, then yours is likely going to be my first choice.

I'm glad to hear that so many people are finding your services helpful. That's great to know for my consideration.

However, I have been looking at your services for a while now and when the time comes that I do open my doors and if I do feel a move is going to be required, then yours is likely going to be my first choice.

My only regret is not doing it SOONER. :cry:
I had been looking for a WHILE... but again... I highly doubted I'd get any money back from prepaid server. I thought they would tell me there was some clause I accepted that the 3yr. plan was a contract. If I had just taken the 10mins. it took me via live chat with them to figure that out, I likely WOULD have done it earlier... as just the other day BH had an outtage that lasted several hours.

I had multiple account with an ISP that were prepaid (in one case > 3 years out) that disabled the account with my busiest site, i.e. the one that subsidizes almost everything else. I quietly move the sites, starting w/ the most active ones, to a VPS elsewhere, and then requested refunds based on paying the non-discounted rate for the current year. The account were closed and fair refunds were credited back to my credit card.

Don't feel locked in if you've prepaid to 2017!

Top Bottom