Featured Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he can't block you here. :P The amount of questions you have asked me, I can't imagine its that many. lol. Still nice seeing this come along.

So a little update then, to expand on my earlier "Woohoo!".

There is now a new option to limit the maximum number of characters retrieved from the first post when featuring a thread:
upload_2013-11-14_16-55-46.webp

This new option goes hand in hand with the new Style Property to change the overlay content area height:
upload_2013-11-14_16-56-34.webp

As you can see, the defaults are currently set to 1,000 characters and 250px, which works quite well for a regularly formatted post:
upload_2013-11-14_16-59-8.webp

What's left to do is:
  • Strip out bb code, smilies, attachments, etc. from the post content when featuring, except for URLs
  • Save/retrieve/remove the data from the table when featuring/editing/deleting a thread
  • Write the template for displaying the featured threads (it's currently hard coded with dummy content)
  • Implement perm checks so only those with permission to view the threads can see the featured threads
  • Remove a featured thread if a thread is deleted or moderated
There's probably something I've forgotten but that's basically it.

It looks like I have new plans for the weekend: Fly to the UK, chain Paul to a desk, play with his daughter so he has no reason to leave, and then fly home once its released. Sound like a deal, right, @Brogan?

Can't wait to play with this. :D

I just had a thought...

Although I wouldn't use it personally, I suppose I could add alerts and trophies.
So people would be alerted if their thread was featured and trophies could be awarded based on x number of their threads being featured.

Not sure if that's overkill for this particular add-on.

I just had a thought...

Although I wouldn't use it personally, I suppose I could add alerts and trophies.
So people would be alerted if their thread was featured and trophies could be awarded based on x number of their threads being featured.

I like that idea. Drives better content for those that want to be featured.

Another idea is to keep track of how many featured posts they have and list them in their profile.

I just had a thought...

(y) Trophies & Alerts are not nearly utilized enough in add-ons. Just make sure if you add alerts it has the option to disable them. :)

Those will probably come later, as will the news feed.

Initially I just want to get it coded based on my own requirements, which is a simple block on the forum index.

I just had a thought...

Nope, that isn't overkill imo. Good idea to alert somebody that their thread is featured. :thumbsup:

Very much like this idea and would like to try it out on my forum. Would it be possible to download what you have? Thanks.

Any plans to set an expiry date for the featured thread, after which date/time it is no longer a featured thread?

Very much like this idea and would like to try it out on my forum. Would it be possible to download what you have? Thanks.
It's only about 70% complete so not in a fit state for release.
Once I'm happy with it I'll publish it in the RM.

Any plans to set an expiry date for the featured thread, after which date/time it is no longer a featured thread?
It's not something I had considered but I will add it to the suggestions list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom