Fixed deleting a forum doesn't delete its threads

I'm surprised this bug is still around. I deleted a large forum today, and low and behold -- all the posts were still lying around in the database. What's the safest way to mass-delete them nowadays?

I don't want to delete posts while deleting a forum, so give us a prompt to move posts to another forum before deleting the forum.

I have a forum that i wish to remove containing lots of posts - all of which I'm happy to loose - so i take it from the above that if i do this then it wont shrink the database size?

Is there any easy work around that would allow me to carry this out, removing the posts from the DB as would IMO be the "normal" operation?? There's around 100k posts, so it would need to be something simple and not involve deleting them one at a time... ;)

Cheers
Paul

I'd love the ability to mass move the threads to an archive forum,
or to have the option to perm delete them,

When the node gets deleted.

Is there any easy work around that would allow me to carry this out

Not really. You could query the database but there are several tables involved. It would be difficult to avoid having orphaned records.

To delete 100k posts you really need a script to process them in batches. There is no utility like this in XenForo right now.

so would my option be to export to IPB or vB, delete the offending forum, and then re-import??? Thats mad! (would that work, and what would i loose?!)

so would my option be to export to IPB or vB, delete the offending forum, and then re-import??? Thats mad! (would that work, and what would i loose?!)

Eww don't do that.

This thread is listed as a future fix. If you aren't hurting for space then just delete or hide the forum and wait for the devs to fix the issue.

Eww don't do that.

This thread is listed as a future fix. If you aren't hurting for space then just delete or hide the forum and wait for the devs to fix the issue.

We're talking a large number of posts here, (it's actually well in excess of 1M posts), and it's currently stopping me from downsizing my server - my DB is currently over 1gig, so i want to reduce the size asap..!!

I can't believe this is this still outstanding?

C'mon guys, deleting nodes needs to delete the threads within, its basic data relationship management, otherwise you get orphaned threads.

With 1.1 you'll get people with large board migrating over and its a great opportunity to do some tidying up (as I'm doing). We need XF to delete threads within the node that's being deleted.

If you aren't hurting for space then just delete or hide the forum and wait for the devs to fix the issue.
I would point out deleting the node is not the answer, you'll end up with orphaned posts with no way to remove them until the devs write a function to find and remove orphaned threads & posts. It would be far easier for them to fix the bug in the first place so we don't get orphaned posts & threads!

Top Bottom