CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
I think I'm happy with the add-on as it is now. Members will just have to live with the featured thread blocks (they aren't getting that option from me to disable).

I've had a request on AdEx to allow users to hide/dismiss featured threads. Any thoughts on adding this as an option?

Does your style have collapsible nodes? You can just recode the template to be an ordered list within the list item of a parent ordered list, make up a node id like 10000 and make it collapsible.

So after some more thought, on balance I have decided it's overkill to add two new fields to a core table to allow members to disable the featured threads on forum list and forum view.
Especially considering it has only been requested by one person, who isn't even a license holder.

@Code Monkey has already suggested one option above.
The other is to create custom user fields and allow members to disable them that way.

I think I'm happy with the add-on as it is now. Members will just have to live with the featured thread blocks (they aren't getting that option from me to disable).

I'm extremely happy with the Featured Threads but like many things there are dynamic issues that depend on the particular forum it's installed on. If you have mostly occasional visitors and if you actively manage the threads you feature to make sure they're current and not stale the existing featureset is fine. However, if you have a group of members who visit many times per day, especially if they are already quite forum savvy users who know where to find the hot threads without guidance, you might find that they are not so happy with the inability to control their forum experience as Brogan so aptly stated.

Does your style have collapsible nodes? You can just recode the template to be an ordered list within the list item of a parent ordered list, make up a node id like 10000 and make it collapsible.

I don't think so (it's based on Arty's Soft Responsive style).

So after some more thought, on balance I have decided it's overkill to add two new fields to a core table to allow members to disable the featured threads on forum list and forum view.
Especially considering it has only been requested by one person, who isn't even a license holder.
The other is to create custom user fields and allow members to disable them that way.

Thanks Brogan - I'll look into those options. :)

I think the time you can set remedies this. Chances are if you feel featured threads are bothering users who visit often and seeing the same thing there is a good chance that you've set the time duration too high. Perhaps set the duration time lower?

XenForo needs multi-quote!

I think the time you can set remedies this. Chances are if you feel featured threads are bothering users who visit often and seeing the same thing there is a good chance that you've set the time duration too high. Perhaps set the duration time lower?

Or feature more threads :)

I agree with both of you on this point - I think Featured Threads is deceptive in that there's a learning curve to choosing how many threads, which ones, and how long to feature them. It's not simply a matter of choosing a couple of threads and then leaving it on auto-pilot. :)

That is the big feature which will be coming in the future!

Watch this space :)

Nice one.

I was going to suggest that "featured" tag in the bottom left would be a good to link to the listings but I'm sure you've thought of a good solution already. Honestly I'm happy with the add-on as it is now Anything more is a bonus.

This is what I currently have after the title you just style to your preference.

Code:
.forum_list .ctaFtThreadTitle:after {
background-color: #BE4F4F;
  border: 1px solid #902B2B;
  border-radius: 2px;
  color: white;
  content: "Featured";
  font-size: 10px;
  margin-left: 5px;
  padding: 0 5px;
  vertical-align: middle;}

@Shelley does this go in the Extra.css?

Oh I see now its just for the Featured..

Do you have a nice . css for a dark theme? Want to share :)

Last edited:
@Shelley does this go in the Extra.css?

Yeah, but you won't want to have .forum_list . replace forum_list with .ctaFtBlock so the forum_view inherits the styling.

edit:

It should look like the following.

Code:
.ctaFtBlock .ctaFtThreadTitle:after {
vertical-align: middle;
}

Yeah, but you won't want to have .forum_list . replace forum_list with .ctaFtBlock so the forum_view inherits the styling.

edit:

It should look like the following.

Code:
.ctaFtBlock .ctaFtThreadTitle:after {
vertical-align: middle;
}
Oh I see now its just for the Featured..

Do you have a nice . css for a dark theme? Want to share :)

Top Bottom